FB-111 Non-Nuclear Loadouts

There's a couple of pictures in this tweet of the FB-111 with it's weapons options laid out in front of it:

IIRC, the FB-111 did not have a non-nuclear mission - they were doomsday planes, and so trained only for nuclear delivery. The weapons in the picture (an M117R, at least two, possibly three configurations of the Mk82, and a heavy CBU), all seem like they were chosen for having similar aerodynamics as the B-61 or B-83 and would be useful for training in how to deliver those weapons accurately. 

After the FB-111 fleet was stood down from nuclear alert for good and the planes converted to F-111G standard, they did apparently carry 2000 lb bombs so the capacity was probably there all along (I don't know of any *other* US jet that could carry an MER full of Mk82s but not an Mk84 in the same spot), it was just not a requirement of the SAC mission that they do so. 

3 hours ago, SebastianP said:

There's a couple of pictures in this tweet of the FB-111 with it's weapons options laid out in front of it:

IIRC, the FB-111 did not have a non-nuclear mission - they were doomsday planes, and so trained only for nuclear delivery. The weapons in the picture (an M117R, at least two, possibly three configurations of the Mk82, and a heavy CBU), all seem like they were chosen for having similar aerodynamics as the B-61 or B-83 and would be useful for training in how to deliver those weapons accurately. 

After the FB-111 fleet was stood down from nuclear alert for good and the planes converted to F-111G standard, they did apparently carry 2000 lb bombs so the capacity was probably there all along (I don't know of any *other* US jet that could carry an MER full of Mk82s but not an Mk84 in the same spot), it was just not a requirement of the SAC mission that they do so. 

Excellent thanks.  Yea, I’ve seen pics of a Pease jet letting loose with 24 Mk 82AIRs- those are just hard to come by in resin (I’m not counting the Oz Mods version which look very very crude).  I know CMK makes them, but you only get 2 per set.  Interestingly- in the pic above, it looks like Mk82 snakeyes were carried and those are available in the Eduard Brassin lineup, 6x set, which is pretty economical.  I might go that route. Thanks again.  

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi

Mk82 Snake Eyes does look like the cheapest option for arming it, yes (you can get even cheaper if you get Hasegawa's first weapons set in 1/72, it has six Mk82 Snake Eyes in plastic). The only other options I can find from the display above are AGM-69 SRAM (either from a Testors/Italeri B-2, which doesn't need them in the first place; or another Ozmods resin set); and the B61 bombs (Italeri's F-117 has a pair, as does the Italeri/Testors "US/NATO Aircraft Weapons" accessory set). The plastic items are all *old* - the Snake eye bombs are from 1980, and the F-117 and B-2 kits are from 1990 and 1991 respectively...)

I find it pretty amazing that there's still apparently no one who makes modern US nuclear weapons in resin in 1/72...

Edited by SebastianP

Falcon, I’m assuming you’re prepping for the upcoming Caracal sheet:thumbsup: and weighing the most cost effective options for loadouts? I did the same thing and finally settled on the Belcher Bits US Nukes set. You get 2 B61’s and 2 B83’s. Put out a wanted add on the Spares page for 2 SRAMS from the B-1 kit and you’re set. I’ll use B83’s on the pylons and SRAMS in the bay and save the B61’s for a SIOP schemed jet later on.

I saw the same pic you did of the Pease jet wearing MER’s and Mk-82’s high drag but that would be super expensive.

Also, there is nothing saying you cant put B61’s on the pylons and B83’s internal!

http://www.belcherbits.com/lines/148conv/bb31.htm

Edited by Hooker169
41 minutes ago, Hooker169 said:

Falcon, I’m assuming you’re prepping for the upcoming Caracal sheet:thumbsup: and weighing the most cost effective options for loadouts? I did the same thing and finally settled on the Belcher Bits US Nukes set. You get 2 B61’s and 2 B83’s. Put out a wanted add on the Spares page for 2 SRAMS from the B-1 kit and you’re set. I’ll use B83’s on the pylons and SRAMS in the bay and save the B61’s for a SIOP schemed jet later on.

I saw the same pic you did of the Pease jet wearing MER’s and Mk-82’s high drag but that would be super expensive.

Also, there is nothing saying you cant put B61’s on the pylons and B83’s internal!

http://www.belcherbits.com/lines/148conv/bb31.htm

Yep, I’m getting ready to start my FB now that the Caracal decals are just about to be released.   Thanks for the tip on the Belcher bits items.  I have two 1/48 Academy FB-111 kits.  I plan on doing one in the SIOP scheme and one in the “Dark Vark” scheme- one conventional and one nuclear loadout- and potentially one with the OzMods long span wing and flap set!  We’ll see!  But for starters it’s a Dark Vark for sure!

Edited by Falconxlvi
4 hours ago, SebastianP said:

I find it pretty amazing that there's still apparently no one who makes modern US nuclear weapons in resin in 1/72...

There is.  Spectre Resins is Wolfpak's resin line, and they covered the B28, two variants of the B43, the B57, and two variants of the B83 in resin.  LINK  Additionally, Shapeways has 3D printed B61s LINK while Scaledown Conversions does a resin B61 and a resin AGM-69 LINK.

Regards,

Murph