1/32 UH-72 Lakota Medivac Markings

I'm currently starting to work on the Revell 1/32 UH-72 Lakota. I'm building this up as the medivac version, using some of the kit parts included for the civilian EC145 Air Ambulance. Does anyone know where to obtain a decal set that includes the medivac markings? I've looked for the Fireball Modelworks UH-72 set, but they seem to be out of production. Any assistance will be appreciated.

Not sure about how he (Fireball) did the 1/32 sheet but the 1/72 one has markings for 2 different medivac machines and full markings for each (I'm working on a 1/72 one right now) one for DCANG and one based at Ft. Rucker so if the 1/32 is the same way (including two sets of red crosses) then maybe you can talk someone out of one of their schemes off the sheet. Good luck......

1 hour ago, RCAFFAN said:

Not sure about how he (Fireball) did the 1/32 sheet but the 1/72 one has markings for 2 different medivac machines and full markings for each (I'm working on a 1/72 one right now) one for DCANG and one based at Ft. Rucker so if the 1/32 is the same way (including two sets of red crosses) then maybe you can talk someone out of one of their schemes off the sheet. Good luck......

That is one option I was hoping would be available. I found a set of red crosses and the National Guard logos with a number and letters set for 1/32 helos on www.aviationmegastore.com; however, the decals were cheap, but, because they are shipping to the US from the EU, the cost was WAAAAYYYYY not worth it.

Hope your builds in 1/72 are going well.

My plan is to recreate one of the medivac helos from the Idaho National Guard here in Boise. I suppose if I cant find the decals, I'll measure them out and paint them on. One way or another, I'm going to get it done.

The one shot on line (most aren't labeled as to what they are detail wise) that I was sure was Idaho (from a Boise Newspaper) didn't have the NG emblems on the front doors so that would simplify things, just painting the four crosses and finding numbers, but I noticed some sort of crest marking on the upper vertical tail which might be hard to recreate. Didn't Revell do a US Lakota boxing of that kit and does it have useful markings? Where are you getting your army type stretchers for the rear as the 1/72 includes a modern ambulance type gurney so I have to decide if I want to scratch build two or steal some from one of my Esci Medivac Hueys. I guess I do have to scratch the medical equipment  and rack inside over the rear port windows since the kit I have (Heller) doesn't have that but at least it has the proper hoist and most of the antennas and the wire cutters. If you google Lakota interior photos there are some decent US medical interior shots around and a shot of the oxygen tanks mounted inside the rear doors. 

RCAFFAN, you are correct, they do not have the NG emblems on the doors. The crest you are seeing is actually the State of Idaho Flag. The top portion of the tail is painted dark blue like the flag and then has the State Seal. I am going to try to make my own decals of that. As for the Army stretchers, I had considered making them out of kitchen paper towel cut to size and then coated in white glue thinned with water, then use thin styrene rod along the sides, if the paper towel doesnt work, I was thinking of taking Milliput and rolling it into a thin sheet and seeing if that would work. I do know that the Idaho Lakotas dont have the oxygen bottles on the inside of the rear doors. I've seen several of the photos that you are talking about on Google. Fortunately, the Revell kit for the Lakota, has the medical interior, hoist, and wire cutters included from the EC145 Rega kit.

Here is a picture of an Idaho UH-72 taken during a rescue operation about 6 years ago. A plane crashed into a remote mountain area and was located 18 hours later. All three occupants survived the crash and had to be hoisted out. Two were transfered to other civilian EMS helicopters (Bell 429's).

10352283_10203059026388409_8757120041058

Edited by jelliott523

Putting the flag on the tail like that looks like a cool scheme but that seal is not gonna be easy. Maybe use a colour print of it reduced to scale on thin paper, cut out and sealed over the blue painted area? Too bad someone with the 1/32 Fireball sheet hasn't responded yet but based on activity I suspect a number only visit during the work week (only on breaks of course) so maybe tomorrow......

Edited by RCAFFAN
3 minutes ago, RCAFFAN said:

Too bad someone with the 1/32 Fireball sheet hasn't responded yet......

Ehhh, not a big deal, after looking at the picture above and another few I've got access to, the crosses shouldnt be too hard to mask and paint. I actually thought about printing the seal on thin glossy paper. I'm going to have my wife see what she can do with it. She works in the printer division of HP and has access to some cool stuff.

my friend

I did mine(model down there) at home , what I did was I looked for a medevac cross on the internet, and went to the local print shop just print them on adhesive paper and thats all

there they are, ( same are above and on the belly)

ku_EW4_A7.jpg

Werner's Wings makes a resin detail set that gets most of the needs done to make a 1/32 scale UH-72. They also make decals for the UH-60 to be marked as a Medevac. They are 1/48 scale but proportionally the decals work very well on the 1/32 scale UH-72. I used both and was very pleased with everything.

I also purchased a very comprehensive photo etch set from France called RFLIGHT and sold by Renaissance Models. It is called EC-145 but many of the parts enhance the detail of the Revell kit no matter what you make it to be. They do have a web site-http://www.renaissance-models.com/

Chris M

Great looking helo Charlie! that may be a way to go with printing on adhesive paper. Thanks

Chief, I've seen the Werner Wings stuff. I'll have to take a look at the RFLIGHT stuff and see if its something I could use. Thanks for the info.

As it sits right now, I think I may actually just have the Idaho State Seal printed and then make masks to paint the red crosses.

25 minutes ago, jelliott523 said:

Great looking helo Charlie! that may be a way to go with printing on adhesive paper.

A better idea is to make your own decals with computer decal paper.  Use white decal paper and print them on your home computer/printer using a red cross image lifted off the internet and a graphics program like PowerPoint or Paint to size them.  You can also do the same w/the NG emblems for the doors.  Using the decal paper is pretty simple and the results look great.  I have done it many times.

54 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

A better idea is to make your own decals with computer decal paper.  Use white decal paper and print them on your home computer/printer using a red cross image lifted off the internet and a graphics program like PowerPoint or Paint to size them.  You can also do the same w/the NG emblems for the doors.  Using the decal paper is pretty simple and the results look great.  I have done it many times.

I also thought about making my own decals, and I have clear and white decal paper for use in a laser jet printer (which is the printer I have at home); however, the problem I've had is that I cannot get my printer to accept the paper, when it does print, its extremely smudged and does not look very good.

• 2 weeks later...

Im in the lakota unit out of Boise... If I can be any help let me know! I plan on building a few of these kits lol!

If anyone does know where to get decals for these lakotas, please let me know!!! I was going to try to print my own...