Ju87 G-1 Build and Questions about Future Wax

Morning all!

This is a repost because I accidentally posted in "Diorama" the first time.

New back into the hobby after a long hiatus. Currently building a Revell JU-87 G-1. I airbrushed the entire plane and then placed the decals. Having never used Future Floor Wax, I found some on ebay and airbrushed it on. I did this less for the results and more to protect the paint and decals. Now I see the glossy shine. While a floor wax should leave a gloss shine, I didn't admittedly anticipate it though I do now understand that it is a floor wax and would do this. I liked the dull look prior to its application. In the future, is there anything I can do with future to remove the gloss look but retain the protective qualities of it (thin it with windex or something?)? Is there anything I can do now to maybe get a more "worn" or "natural" feel to the model? Should I be weathering with my wash prior to the final coat of future? I am wondering if maybe "washing" it now would maybe remove some of that gloss look.

I uploaded a pic. I do think the pics don't do it justice. Not that I am not an artist and I do recognize the gaps in the model, the overspray etc. I really tried to shade and weather with lighter colors in the center of the panels away from the panel lines. I hope to improve as I continue in this hobby. The canopy is coming. It was dipped in future and I am waiting on a product to mask and paint it prior to adding it.

Plane Model 2.jpg

Hi Jim.

For many of us, it's SOP to apply a gloss clear coat to the model before decaling because they adhere better to a glossy surface with less silvering and air bubbles. We don't, however, generally want our models to end up glossy, so the final step is to apply a flat/matte clear coat. You will find about as many opinions on the best flat coat as there are modelers. Being the first to respond, I'll recommend my favorite: Micro Flat from Microscale. It's acrylic and can be thinned for airbrushing with Testors Universal Acrylic Thinner or even with water. It won't give you a dead flat. If you want that, I'm told Vallejo flat finish is very flat. For my part, if I want to go flatter than what the Micro produces, I add a small amount of Tamiya Flat Base to it.

One other thing: I usually apply some gloss over the decals before doing the flat coat. This makes their surface more uniform with the rest of the model and smooths out the edges.

HTH.

Pip

1 hour ago, Jimd0586 said:

Thanks Pip. So, if I go over the future with a coat of micro flat or Vallejo flat finish will it potentially dull the gloss coat a bit?

Potentially a lot, depending on what product you use and how much you apply. You don't want to overdo it, however, because many if not most flat coats will start to look chalky if they're applied too thickly.

6 hours ago, Jimd0586 said:

Awesome! Now it's figuring how to mask off the canopy. I guess the Hombrol Masking cement I bought doesn't work well with acrylics... and I just bathed the canopies in Future.

Well, that's a whole nuther topic, and you've chosen a plane with a pretty complex set of canopy panels. You're probably going to do better with tape than with the Humbrol stuff. The easiest way would be to purchase a set of pre-cut masks -- Eduard makes a huge selection, and there's Montex and EZ-Masks -- but I'm not finding any designed to work with the Monogram kit. In terms of cutting your own masks, there are a number of methods, and I suggest you do a Google search on "masking aircraft canopies." FWIW, I usually use Scotch tape -- the frosty stuff with the green label. I lay a piece over one or more panels and carefully cut along the panel edges with a sharp Xacto blade leaving a piece of tape to mask each panel. Another method, when you have straight frames vertically and horizontally, is to mask each dimension separately with strips of (Tamiya) masking tape. Not sure that's clear -- you'd maybe start by putting down strips of tape to leave just the horizontal frames uncovered, paint, then use the same approach with the vertical/circumferential frames.

5 hours ago, Jimd0586 said:

I biffed the painting on the canopy. Anyone make any replacement canopies? 

When you say "biffed," how bad a catastrophe are you referring to? I don't know of any replacement canopies for that kit.

If you spray Acrylics ,  it can be cleaned up with Windex ( containing  ammonia ) 

Dunk it if you can , otherwise it can be done with a square tip brush .

Cheers, Christian