My Dragon Saturn V build.

Guess I will start my Saturn v build thread. I first want to test to see if I can get pics posted up easy enough. If so I'll go back and show some shots to catch up where I currently am in the build. I'm having to post mostly from my phone so please bear with me on spelling and grammar. Old eyes and fingers sometimes don't obey the mind.

LM in Adaptor.jpg

Edited by niart17

Well, I got at least one picture to load but I'm going to have to find a more streamline process to taking them, reducing them and posting them. More to come soon I hope.

Just a few notes on the build. Structurally I'm pretty much staying with the kit other than the bottom of the stage one area with the fin fairings. I've had a whole new bottom area and fairings 3D printed and while the surface is far from great, to me it's visually better than having the really bad shaped fairings. So it's the best of the worse solutions I could come up with. I'm going to open 2 panels on the LM adapter, similar to Pete's 1/48 build (obviously not nearly as well done as his) and will be detailing a little here and there as I see fit. Trying to not to get in the pitfall of sweating so many details as to never get if finished. So with that said, I'll be back with more shots soon I hope. 

Bill

yeah, I'm going to be relying on your build along with a lot of other guys here to hopefully come out with a decent representation. Here are a couple of more shots of where it is currently in the process. I have a lot of touching up to do and probably repainting some rough edges here and there, but overall happy with it for the most part. 

first stage with a printed bottom section. The print lines are pretty obvious but like I said, I like it better than smooth but wrong shape. 

IMAG2010.jpg

And the second stage. This is probably the furthest along section. I started with this section since it has a lot of details that aren't too complicated to detail. Plus I liked the discolored pattern that seems to be more prevalent on the mission I'm trying to represent (Apollo 12) then some of the others. I know that's likely just because of the photographs taken of that specific mission but maybe it was actually slightly different. 

second stage.jpg

Hey Pete, I hope to make the July build deadline...but....well.....no need to rehash the obvious. :whistle:

No, this isn't the pre-built pre-painted it's the actual kit. Thanks for the compliment but the painting looks MUCH better in the pics than in real life. There's some areas of overspray I need to re-touch up. Also, I don't know if you can tell, but I've sanded down those pipe fairings and need to smooth all that back in. They are rough resin cast copies of a scratch part I made years ago. I felt that the kit's fairings were shaped too pointy on the ends and stood slightly too proud. I also cut down the height and sanded the top edge flat of the channels running up the sides of the first stage. They stuck out WAY too much and didn't have a flattened shape like the real ones. I tried to modify what the kit had instead of trying to scratch something. I'll likely go back and add the small stringer details that run the length of them. 

So yeah, a WAYS to go.

Bill

Hey John, if I'm ever able to buy the 3D printer I've been wanting I can print you up some. I'd like to get a resin SLA printer that would print these things MUCH smoother than what I have. I just can't afford one quite yet. But they are getting cheaper and better so hopefully one day somewhat soon.

Bill

Looking great so far, Bill!

Have you seen the fairings that Michael Key has added recently to his Shapeways shop? I had asked him awhile back to make them for me, as I am attempting a similar 1/72 Dragon/3D printed Saturn V build.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aerospaceplace?section=1%3A72+Scale+Dragon+Saturn+V+Upgrade+Parts&s=0

Hey hotdog, I have seen those parts and they are beautiful. I'm trying (note TRYING) to resist spending too much money on this build and trying to scratch as much as I can. I was able to get the F1 fairing printed for free from a guy at work that has a PLA printer. Not perfect but with some work came out fairly smooth. Thanks for the tip though, I may punt and end up buying this stuff anyway.

Bill

Hi racerman. I'm not sure if anyone has uploaded the entire S-1C bottom with fairings to Shapeways but I know there are some F1 fairings available shown in the link that Hotdog posted. I would imagine a print of the entire bottom with fairings would be quite expensive. But mine weren't printed through Shapeways, I just couldn't justify the cost. I had mine printed on a CS-10 PLA printer that a guy I worked with owned. I drew up the models in Solidworks and he printed them for me for the cost of some masking tape (crazy great deal I know!). The build lines are quite noticable even after some work and I probably could get them a little smoother if I ever get the energy to keep working on it. But for now, they suit me fine.

Bill

I've done a little more to the LM, instrument ring and the LM adaptor. I just some Werther's Original candy wrappers for the LM foil areas that will be seen just painted gold the lower areas that are out of view. I also used regular tin foil for the leg fronts. I'll have to go back and paint the gold straps since I don't think  I could get the candy wrappers to cooperate. The color of the Werther's is just about right, but unfortunately they put their name on the wrappers covering a good portion of them so I don't think they'd be good for big areas on a larger LM.

LM foil.jpg

And the inside of the LM adaptor panels. Just added some simple ribbing, a representation of the access hatch and the latter rungs out of brass wire. Again not going overboard but will still add a bit more details as these panels will be seen a little more. My plan is to display two of the panels open similar to what K2Pete did on his 1/48 CSM/LM stack build. 

lm adaptor inside.jpg

Edited by niart17

Lookin' good Bill!

I've found that adding some little greeblies, details that may not exist but dress up blank areas ( like the inside of the SLA panels ) really adds to the believability of the ( perceived ) accuracy of the model. And it'll add greatly to the overall look of the Saturn V. Especially in 1/72!

... well, I'll be darned, I wondered what that "Photobucket 3rd party" notice was ... it's the old NASA build banner ... ah-h-h good times!  :thumbsup:

Happy Easter Bill!

Pete

48 minutes ago, niart17 said:

I'll have to go back and paint the gold straps since I don't think  I could get the candy wrappers to cooperate.

I used an orange-ish fine-tipped Sharpie to make the gold straps on the aluminum foil wrapped legs of my LM, it looked more gold colored in top of the silver foil. 

46 minutes ago, K2Pete said:

Lookin' good Bill!

I've found that adding some little greeblies, details that may not exist but dress up blank areas ( like the inside of the SLA panels ) really adds to the believability of the ( perceived ) accuracy of the model. And it'll add greatly to the overall look of the Saturn V. Especially in 1/72!

... well, I'll be darned, I wondered what that "Photobucket 3rd party" notice was ... it's the old NASA build banner ... ah-h-h good times!  :thumbsup:

Happy Easter Bill!

Pete

Happy Easter to you as well Pete! Yeah, it kind of threw me off once that banner showed up again. I was getting hopeful that maybe PB reversed their policy and started letting images show up again but alas, my other old images are still blocked. Not sure why the banner shows up other than maybe they realized that having that notice show up on the bottom of so many people's posts is bad advertising so they released those images? Seems like a long shot but otherwise can't explain how that shows but nothing else.

Bill

50 minutes ago, habu2 said:

I used an orange-ish fine-tipped Sharpie to make the gold straps on the aluminum foil wrapped legs of my LM, it looked more gold colored in top of the silver foil. 

Great tip! I'll have to see if I can find one that color. Thanks!

Bill

I built this model a couple of years ago, and I used David Weeks' drawing set from Real Space models ( $60.00 ) to add detail that was missing from the kit, although not to the level that you're building, Niart. Y

ou may already have these, but if not I can recommend them wholeheartedly. As a huge fan of the Saturn V I'm following your build with great interest.  :thumbsup2:

Edited by hooter

Another thumbs up for the David Weeks drawings, although they will serve to highlight how horribly inaccurate Dragon’s SV is....

Edited by habu2
typos
2 hours ago, habu2 said:

Another thumbs up for the David Weeks drawings, although they will serve to highlight how horribly inaccurate Dragon’s SV is....

You're right there, Habu2. Luckily my model was a Christmas present from my best mate, so that didn't cost me anything. Glad I bought the David weeks plans, though.:cheers:

Hi hooter, habu. I am familiar with the David Weeks drawings, and have small samples of them that were transfered for use with the decal set I bought for this kit, but I'm trying to keep the cost down and at least at this point can't justify the $60 price tag. If I start doing much more Saturn V projects I may break down and buy and set but right now just relying on googlefy images and whatever information and photos I've taken and/or collected over the years. I know it will lead to some inaccuracies but it is close enough at least for this build. Thanks and keep the suggestions coming!

Bill