GWH 1/48 scale Lockheed T-33A early ver.

50 minutes ago, caudleryan said:

Beautiful! A perfect work of art! I can't wait to see what your next project will be!

Caudleryan,

Not so sure it's a perfect work of Art by a long shot, but thanks so much for saying so. It means a great deal to me.

For years I've been a closet auto race car modeler. Basically, that means I've collected must have race cars but have only built one in the last 8 years. Since time is no longer on my side (I'm 70 and not getting any younger), I've made the decision to build one aircraft, then one car. Naturally, I'll be posting them in the auto forum as well. 

Going to go easy with the detailing, as the mile deep gloss finish is everything in a car build.  For my 1st race car I've decided to build the 1/24 scale Fujimi 917k in Martini colors as I already have the decals from Indycal for them. the only twist to the build is that it's the Sebring version I have, and I need the LeMans non-long tail version, so a small conversion is needed. Nothing major, just two vertical tails on the back of the rear deck.

Joel

8 minutes ago, crackerjazz said:

Woohoo!!! Beautufully done, Joel!  Envy your speed and quality of work.  Someday I'll finish a model yet : )

Thanks Crackerjazz, your thumbs up is most appreciated coming from a skilled modeler like yourself.  When you get to my age, you gotta finish them as there's not many later days left. 

Joel

2 minutes ago, my favs are F`s said:

Absolutely gorgeous model! The subtle weathering is Top!

Btw, around the first pics, i see something just ever so slightly "unparalleled" between the stabilizers and the wings... I might be mistaken, of course. Nevertheless it looks beautiful!

My Favs are Fs,

thanks for your thumbs up as well. So really glad that you liked the light handed weathering.  I really needed a little bit for an operational aircraft even though the Texas ANG kept their aircraft in mint condition.

As for the Stabs, let me take another look. Could be, but throughout the build I never noticed it.

Joel

Thanks so much for the nudge down memory lane.  I was already plane guy when I was brought to Texas at age 11, and living a couple of miles south of Ellington was a joy.  That T-33, as well as F-101Bs and F-102s overhead every day.

21 hours ago, Brad-M said:

Thanks for the reply. Did you happen to notice that the nose cone was smaller in size (narrow) compared to the fuselage? I had to sand the step and do a lot of re-scribing. 😞

Brad

You could also place a piece of plastic card between the nose cone and the fuselage to eliminate the step. You’d increase the length of the fuselage but you eliminate the step.

Looks great! This is the first time I am appreciating the shape of the T-33. I believe I had never seen a front view pic (nose down). Very cool.

I tried to find it out in your posts but couldn't, what was the brand/color code is the gray? My wild guess is MM ADC grey? 

15 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Thanks so much for the nudge down memory lane.  I was already plane guy when I was brought to Texas at age 11, and living a couple of miles south of Ellington was a joy.  That T-33, as well as F-101Bs and F-102s overhead every day.

Startibartfast,

You're quite welcome.  I know the feeling as I grew up watching the skies over our house filled with Grumman and Republic aircraft. It's only after you don't have them, that you realize how lucky you were.

Joel

19 minutes ago, Janissary said:

Looks great! This is the first time I am appreciating the shape of the T-33. I believe I had never seen a front view pic (nose down). Very cool.

I tried to find it out in your posts but couldn't, what was the brand/color code is the gray? My wild guess is MM ADC grey? 

Janissary,

I couldn't find the color with the few paint brands I use and trust. So I mixed my own with Tamiya acrylics.  Started off with XF-19 Sky Gray, and then added XF-2 White, and a few drops of XF-17 Med Blue. kept on working the mix and test air brushing it till I got it right, or more accurately close enough for me.  Usually I keep a record of the mix ratios but not this time as it took several sessions over several days. What I was smart enough to do was start with a full bottle of XF-19, and remove a 1/4 of  the paint. So I now have a full 23 ml bottle of ADC. 

Joel

44 minutes ago, KursadA said:

Really nice! Thanks for sharing.

KursadA,

Thanks so much for all your help. Your decals are super accurate, fit perfectly, and as you can see, dry like they were painted on with masks.

Joel

31 minutes ago, CaptainObvious said:

Another nice one Joel.
Construction, color, decals, weathering all spot on!

Nicely photographed too.

Did I hear you mention car next?

Looking forward to it!

Capt. Obvious,

Thanks so much for being along for the full build, it's much appreciated. And it goes without saying how glad I am that you like how she turned out. 

As for my next build I'm finally going to be building some of my classic rare cars. I'm a big road racing fan, but just never figured out gloss finishes, so my last build was 8 years ago. My plan now is pretty simple, one car, one aircraft. We have a forum for the cars, so I'll always be here. 

I just started the build today, and hope to accomplish enough for a weekly update. My 1st race car is the 1/24 scale Fujimi Porsche 917K. The problem is that the only kit I could get without having to order from Japan was the Green David Piper car which is the old 1971 Sebring car. I'm planning on doing the 1971 Martini 917K LeMans car that has two vertical stabilizers on the tail of the engine cover, but it's not the Long Tail version that came out the following year. The conversion isn't hard, and I'm already half way through with it. 

Joel

6 minutes ago, Falconxlvi said:

Outstanding build Joel!  I’ve always admired the classic lines of the T-33.  Thanks for the time and effort you put into the build log- I’ve learned some good stuff from your posts 👍🏻

Steve

Steve 

And thank you for those most kind words. Coming from you guys here, they mean quite a lot to me. 

Joel

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:48 PM, Tato said:

Beautiful build Joel! I really Liked the scheme you chose!

The GWH T-33 seems to be a very nice kit. Tempting.....:whistle:

Regards,

Tato

Tato

The GWH kit, like all of their kits, are extremely well engineered, and well thought out. The end results is an excellent kit to build with little to no issues, and certainly no surprises.

So glad that you liked my build and choice of schemes. 

Joel

11 hours ago, AlienFrogModeller said:

Impressive build Joel, the finish is well done, the overall craftsmanship is flawless. Looking forward to your next build!

Cheers

AFM,

Thanks so much for those most kind and positive words. Coming from such a skilled modeler as yourself, means quite a lot to me. 

I've actually started my next build, but it's not an aircraft. I've been a road course racing fan since the 1960's but never able to achieve a quality type gloss finish, so I  just collected some classic races over the  years. Well the time has finally come to start to build them as I've crossed that 70 year mark, and time is no longer on my side. For now my plan is to build one aircraft, then one car. Both will be posted in the appropriate forums here.  

My 1st effort is the old Fujimi 1/24 scale 1971 LeMans winning Martini Porsche 917K. The kit is a challenge by today's standards, but I'm making my main focus on the finish as it's basically a semi curb side model. I'm still planning on some cockpit details, and corrections to the body and tub as needed.  As a matter of fact, my current signature picture is the car I'm modeling. Sure hope that you find the time to stop by and check out my progress every once in a while.

Joel

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:08 PM, Joel_W said:
Since I couldn't find any Acrylics pre-mixed in ADC FS16473, which is the call out from the Caracal Models decal sheet, I downloaded two sites versions of the chip which were darker then almost all of the pictures I have.  I then custom mixed Tamiya XF-20  Medium Gray with XF-2 White, and FX-18 Medium Blue till I got as close as I could to the chip color. But now going over a black base not gray, I'm going to lighten up the color once again.

Hi Joel,

I'd like to say You did an excellent job according to me to get the right shade of ADC grey. Congratulation!

It's strange no producer have a correct ADC Acrylic color in its inventory.

I purchased both Mr color H60 and H61 and also tried to add a drop of blue but what i got was something too yellow.

I then tried humbrol 176 Neutral Gray and Model Master1731E and also they are uncorrect according to me (beside the fact they are enamels).

The one inspiring me much is lifecolor UA041 but I don't know what to use as a thinner except water which has the problem of leaving little drops on the surface.

So I will probably follow your recipe!

Beside the fact the subject itself is lovely You have done a job of art as someone has already written.

Congratulations

Giovanni

Edited by Giovanni
23 hours ago, Giovanni said:

Hi Joel,

I'd like to say You did an excellent job according to me to get the right shade of ADC grey. Congratulation!

It's strange no producer have a correct ADC Acrylic color in its inventory.

I purchased both Mr color H60 and H61 and also tried to add a drop of blue but what i got was something too yellow.

I then tried humbrol 176 Neutral Gray and Model Master1731E and also they are uncorrect according to me (beside the fact they are enamels).

The one inspiring me much is lifecolor UA041 but I don't know what to use as a thinner except water which has the problem of leaving little drops on the surface.

So I will probably follow your recipe!

Beside the fact the subject itself is lovely You have done a job of art as someone has already written.

Congratulations

Giovanni

Giovanni,

Thanks so much for those most kind words. Glad that you like my mix for the ADC, as well as how the T-33A build came out.

Joel