Hi all out there.

i can finally see where I will get the casement windows in my basement replaced with ones that will allow me to put my spray booth in! Now, I want to solicit some opinions. I am thinking of building a tall cabinet thing to house the booth. This would put the booth about chest high, making the run to the window, which is about 7 or so feet up, much easier to do. The bottom of the cabinet would have shelves for paints, tools, compressor etc. Is this a not good idea or reasonably good idea?

Thanks,

Mike

I'm interested to hear opinions on this, as I've thought about a spray booth at times.

Also, what do you do about lighting a ditsy booth? I fond a grazing light is quite effective to ensure the paint is wet when it hits the surface. 

Are you a sitter or a stander? I always stand and paint in a collapsible booth that i put on top of a chest freezer in the basement. I have a clip on work light hanging on a joist above. Laundry sink is very nearfot cleanups.

16 hours ago, MacStingy said:

Are you a sitter or a stander? I always stand and paint in a collapsible booth that i put on top of a chest freezer in the basement. I have a clip on work light hanging on a joist above. Laundry sink is very nearfot cleanups.

I think that's the big question.  In only the past few years I've finally had permanent work spaces in which to build models, and have been forced to think about these things.  Do you always sit down when working on models generally, or do you find yourself inexplicably on your feet (like me)? When you paint, can you usually get everything you need within arms' length, or are you constantly having to reach for something else, such that you're just better off on your feet?  

Plus, how big might you ultimately build a spray area?  Even if you use a small booth now, might you build bigger in the future? 

I've finally moved out of the basement, but I admit I miss the handy laundry sink!  

7 hours ago, Fishwelding said:

I think that's the big question.  In only the past few years I've finally had permanent work spaces in which to build models, and have been forced to think about these things.  Do you always sit down when working on models generally, or do you find yourself inexplicably on your feet (like me)? When you paint, can you usually get everything you need within arms' length, or are you constantly having to reach for something else, such that you're just better off on your feet?  

Plus, how big might you ultimately build a spray area?  Even if you use a small booth now, might you build bigger in the future? 

I've finally moved out of the basement, but I admit I miss the handy laundry sink!  

I sit when I work in my model room. I use a film stripper’s light table to work on and sit on a high chair that is bar stool height. The glass top is great to clean and the light is good for cutting masks. When i air brush, i retire to the basement and the freezer top.

On 3/28/2018 at 11:46 AM, MacStingy said:

I sit when I work in my model room. I use a film stripper’s light table to work on and sit on a high chair that is bar stool height. The glass top is great to clean and the light is good for cutting masks. When i air brush, i retire to the basement and the freezer top.

umm.....you use a stripper's table?!?!?! My wife would kill me if I attempted something like that! :whistle:

My thoughts are that if you go high but then at times prefer to sit, you can always get an adjustable stool or something to get the right height, but if you build it at sitting height and then everyone once in a while have to urge to stand...well that's not so easy. So build as high as you THINK you might use it standing, and then find a seat that can work for that height. Just my 2 cents.

As for lighting, I'm interested in one of Adam Savage's latest one day builds where he talks about an LED light panel that's color temperature adjustable and relatively cheap. I haven't looked for a source for them but my very first thought was using for a paint booth.

Here is a link to the video;

Oh wow, I didn't know it would post the video directly in here. If the moderators need to remove it or have me remove I can. Not sure what the policy is on that. Sorry if I messed up.

Edited by niart17
not sure of rule breaking?