This is where the aircraft was at when I last worked on it.

I thought it was in pretty good shape but now that I look at it I am not happy with it.  The blue stripe along the sides is definitely not straight.  The gray should be touching the blue stripe and the decal around the nose doesn't fit.

The decals that came with the kit were yellowed and I put them in the back window of my car for a few days to bleach them out.  They looked fine when I put them on but now they are turning yellow again.  I am sure that it will get worse with time.

Even though I really like this scheme the box also comes with decals for a gray aircraft, sooo in the Purple Power it goes to strip the decals and paint.

The decals came off but the paint was not affected at all.

Since I was going to repaint it I decided to fill in some dings and dents that I did not notice the first time I was working on it.  I was willing to live with the ill fitting front glass before but since I am going through all this I am going to try to fix that as well.

Els

I built a 72nd scale Japanese F-4 (Amigo) a few years ago that had yellowed decals when I bought the kit.  I did the same thing, left the decals in the back window of my car for a few days until the yellow went away.  Recently I pulled that kit down to dust it off and I found that the decals had re-yellowed to the point that they really showed up on a gray paint job.  I think that I am done with yellow decals from now on.  Even after you get rid of the yellow it can come back.  As far as Amigo goes, I just put it way up on top of the display case so that I cannot see it very well.

Els

Well it is fresh out of the paint barn.  It looks a little dark now that I have put the Future on it, I hope it lightens up again once I hit it with the flat coat.

Time for some decals.

Els

• 4 weeks later...

Looks good,

Draw Decal does dc-10/KC-10 windscreen decals on their KC-10 sheets. A few years ago I asked him to print up a small sheet of various airliner windscreen decals for me for a small fee. I still have a number of them though they are 1/144. Perhaps you could ask him to print a couple for you?

• 1 month later...

Well since Spectre gave me a virtual kick in the pants I worked on this over the last two days to get it finished.

I looked at several sources for decals for the kit but I just did not want to pay for a full set of decals just to get the windows.  I found a good pic and used my favorite program to make quick easy decals, Microsoft Power Point.

I put in the original picture at a size that I thought would be close.  Then I just copied it and decreased the size by 10% each time to get a closer match.  Then I printed it out on regular paper to compare it to the kit.

Once I got the size that I thought was the best match I copied a couple and moved them around so that I could just use a little decal paper.

I think I need a new printer cartridge because it did not print very well. 

I took one of the decals and hand painted chrome around the windows.  Then cut it out and put it on the kit.  I also painted the silver on the cowlings and back parts of the engines.  I should have looked at some pictures of the real aircraft instead of the box because I painted the whole back half of the engines metal but only the very end of it should have been metal.  Oh well I am not going to try and match the color I mixed for the top to fix it so that is how it is going to stay.

So I am calling it done.

I could not find one picture on the web showing the gray aircraft having yellow or red outlines around the doors or red around the refueling port.  Those were the decals Hasegawa supplied and I did not have anything to replace them with.  This is a nice little kit but the decals suck, Kursad are out there???  I have always thought this was a good looking airplane and I am glad to have one on the shelf.  If it were not for this group build this kit would have never made it off the shelf of doom.

Els

Nicely done Els, did you know Draw Decal has a couple of 1/200 KC-10 Sheets in AMC grey scheme? Either Travis or McGuire base aircraft are available.

I found my old build from the 80s which was brush painted. I would like to repaint it in the delivery scheme but I have not been able to find an aftermarket sheet yet