Best 1/72 jet kits by subject?

Flashlights and Micrometers are usually not even needed for this.

This thread would be a great place to drop little tidbits into about some of the well known "same" toolings in different company's boxes. Such as the parts layout for the Esci A-7E sprue in those kits being exactly the same as Fujimi's A-7E. Which means that those of us that bought large quantities of bagged A-7B Testors kits can just pick up an old cheap Esci boxing of the A-7E to use as a conversion kit. (The larger parts do differ, though.) Or that the later boxings of the Hasegawa F11F have more parts in them than the earlier boxings of the same version. Or that HobbyCraft and Academy F-86 models aren't as "fat" in the cockpit area as the Fujimi kits. And that the Academy F-86 kits are NOT reboxing of the HobbyCraft, the Academy has more parts, and changed some of the other parts that "stayed the same part number on the tree."

When choosing a Phantom model, the vertical tails come into play.

Hasegawa gives us the F-4B vertical tail on all of their modern tooling kits, regardless of the kit being an RF-4 or not.

Fujimi and the new Airfix give us the tail that matches the version that the kit is boxed as.

Esci give us the F-4B tail, whether it is an RF-4 or not.

Italeri is the opposite, they give us the RF-4C tail for all of their first gen boxings, even if it is an F-4E, F, or G boxing.  Italeri's next gen, standalone tooling of the F-4S also gives us the RF-4 tail, instead of the correct F-4B tail.

Revell of Germany give us the RF-4 tail in the F-4F boxings. (which should have the F-4B type)

Swap tails, rescribe, or ignore,,,,,,,but only Fujimi and new Airfix give us the correct vertical tails in the OOB configuration. That should enter into "who is the best", I think. 

On the other hand, Hasegawa is very good at giving us the tail tips that match the versions. Hard to decide which is better, the correct tail, or the correct tail tips.

Italeri's F-100D is an updated version of the ESCI, and I would call it the best in 1/72 - Trumpeters, though more detailed, has shape issues.

Back in the 80s, Monogram/Revell put out the F-4D, F-4J, F-105F, F-105D, F-105G, F-101B, F-104, and F-89.  These are all 'nice kits' and all have very detailed cockpits (which many Hasegawa offerings at the time had just decals).  The F-104 and F-89 have engraved panel lines, the others are all raised.

The F-104 is a tie with Hasegawa, the F-89 and F-101 are the 'best' in this scale, and probably the Thuds too - given Trumpeter shape issues.

Academy's new easy build Super Hornet is best in my opinion and the Strike Eagle nearly equals Hasegawa.  Haven't seen the Great Wall kit yet.  

1 hour ago, Red_Baron_13 said:

Italeri's F-100D is an updated version of the ESCI, and I would call it the best in 1/72

Yes sure, unfortunately it doesn't have mobile slats and correcting this is not at all easy.

Paul, the best way is to go here,,,,,,,just substitute "F-4B" for FG 1 and RF-4C for FGR 2. (remembering that RF-4B and later follow the RF-4C in production. (it is hard for me to find this stuff online, I am used to "flopping open a book" instead)

http://phantomphacts.blogspot.com/search/label/RAF

Scroll down slightly to "aft fuselage differences" and look at the area in front of the area he has marked with "Red 3"

Here are some of my personal best.  Trying not to cover the same ground.

F-5A  EscI kit is by far the best and most accurate in this arena.  A little gem of a kit...but getting hard to find.  Wolfpack released a nice re-release of this kit with great decals and some extras worth seeking out!

F-5B- AMT kit which I think started as ESCI tooling is another gem for a true B two seater.

T-33-Platz hands down is the best in this category  ease of construction and pretty nice tooling-just wish they would do a F-80 family since the nose is separately molded.  The other alternatives are either short run-not bad (Sword or the ancient Hasegawa kit-sans details.  Heller isnt bad either and has the recce nose

P/F-80  The Airfix kit is nice but lacks details and is raised panel lines but a decent build with nice parts and easy and inexpensive to obtain..  The newer short run Sword F/P-80's a re nice but will require a bit more skill to get a good result-they also offer the RF recce nose version.

F-86A/E/F The Fujimi kit is the best for F30 and F40 options later variants But the Earlier E you can get from the decent Academy-Hobbycraft kit but is basic in details and tooling compared to the Fujimi kit.  It also requires a littel more work to make an early E-wing is NOT entirely accurate??  There is ONLY the Matchbox kit for the early A model and that requires a lot of work to get to modern standards UNLESS you kit bash it with either an Academy or Fujimi kit??  

F-86D- Hasegawa hands down best out there.  The old Airfix MPC isnt bad but requires work to get it up to modern standard

F-86H- Special hobby is your best option if you can fund it.  I believe there was an old Vac. kit for this variant and a Falcon conversion??

F-84G Academy for the early E model & the Tamiya for the G model BUT both are very nice and the best in scale.  The older Heller kit is nice but older tooling and requires some details--Aeromaster re-released with some extras a while back I believe.

F-84F-Only option that is available is the Italeri kit & Airfix both are ancient offerings that need lots of work to bring up to modern standards BUT I think the Airfix gets the nod in accurate outlines for a basis to start a build.  The PJ Productions kit in resin is an awesome but expensive alternative and the best 1/72 Thunderstreak BUT is currently out of production.

F-100F  The New Italeri release is pretty nice and with some nice decals.  The Older AMT kit is also rather nice too but will require some details in the as will the Italeri kit.  THE newer Trumpeter kit has some major problems in the length department as outlined in this thread.  So I would stay away unless you want to kit bash with Italeri for the slats and wings??

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234940585-warning-about-the-trumpeter-172-f-100f/&

Mig-15- Eduard has the best detailed & accurate Mig-15 in 1/72.  The Hobbyboss isnt bad for buildability and cheap to boot

Mig-17- Tie between the AZ kit and old KP moldings/.  The Dragon Mig-17 has wing chord issues and I think it is off in the nose area too/But builds easily.

Mig-19  Either the Old KP kit accurate BUT basic or the Bilek kit more detail but a tough build and ill fitting parts.. Will Trumpeter ever release their promised 1/72 Mig-19?????

Mig-21F13  Revell kit is rather nice and a new tool of the early model Mig-21...much beter than the old Academy kit

Mig-21 (later versions)  Eduard kits are coming so they should be pretty good.  BUT the KP re-tooled kits of the RV molds are real nice too as is Zvevda moldings of the versions they cover

I think this thread has underscored an enduring problem with trying to define "the best" kit of any given subject.  What is "the best?"  Is it the one that is most accurate shape-wise?  The one with the most detail?  The one with the most accurate detail?  The one that is easiest to build?  Everyone has a slightly different view of what "the best" means, but most folks never explicitly state what their criteria are, so we end up arguing round and round on some kits.  No one kit is going to score perfectly on all criteria (or even come close, in many cases), so I suggest that, for this exercise, you consider explicitly stating what is being measured instead of using "such and such a kit is hands-down the best F-somethingorother."  Better to say that the kit has the most correct shape (or note where it has shape errors), has the most accurate detail, etc.  For example, take the A-7 kits out there.  Trumpeter's kit is more detailed but has shape issues and crappy stores; the Fujimi kit has an intake trunk and an accurate shape, but detail is not as good as Trumpeter's; and the ESCI/Italeri kit has a generally accurate shape, better stores than the Fujimi kit, is easier to build than the Fujimi, but has sparse detail, particularly in the cockpit.  Which one is the best?  Better to just list the pluses and minuses than to solve a pointless argument.

My contribution--the Hasegawa F-117 has good detail, is accurate in shape and dimensions, and includes a detailed bomb bay in some boxings.  The is a join at the wing root that creates additional work that is avoided in other kits and has some poorly placed ejector pin marks on the landing gear.  The Academy kit is less detailed, has intakes that are a bit too narrow, and has incorrect pitot tubes.