New Airfix B-26

22 minutes ago, afspret said:

haven't been able to find any reviews on the B-25C/D, what's wrong with it?

Everything I have seen says the new B-25 C/d is quite good, superior to the Italeri version.

I built that Airfix B-26 in about 1973 and it had Flak Bait markings then so hardly a new kit but fancy new red box. It was a decent kit for the time but certainly not new..........

3 hours ago, afspret said:

haven't been able to find any reviews on the B-25C/D, what's wrong with it?

I saw it and bought two. Panel lines look like 1/48th. Decals look like they were printed in a dot matrix printer, and also faded. Glass was nice and clear with ribbing that looked way too proud. Interior looks like  it came out of a seventies kit. Turrets were nice with toy like interiors. Not very impressed!

Gary

Edited by ChesshireCat
Xyz
On 4/3/2018 at 10:35 AM, ChesshireCat said:

I saw it and bought two. Panel lines look like 1/48th. Decals look like they were printed in a dot matrix printer, and also faded. Glass was nice and clear with ribbing that looked way too proud. Interior looks like  it came out of a seventies kit. Turrets were nice with toy like interiors. Not very impressed!

Gary

Kit # ? Or a scan of the box? This looks like one to avoid. Unless you have the *old* kit.

Shane

Edited by sweier
On 03/04/2018 at 1:35 AM, ChesshireCat said:

Gary

Sounds like you’ve bought the old kit, A04005. 

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:39 PM, sweier said:

Kit # ? Or a scan of the box? This looks like one to avoid. Unless you have the *old* kit.

Shane

kit # AO6015. Funny thing is that I've bought several of the new Airfix twin engine bombers over the last year or so. Loved their DO17 and He111's (H6 & P2), and their Walrus is very nice. I've found that some Airfix decals are nice and sharp, and yet some literally suck. 

gary

On 4/2/2018 at 8:21 PM, Beauslx said:

It would be nice to get a new tool B-26. A man can dream...

Umm..we did.  Hasegawa released both the B-26B/C and F/G ten years ago.  Both are excellent kits.

SN

On 4/3/2018 at 10:35 AM, ChesshireCat said:

Gary

8 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

kit # AO6015. Funny thing is that I've bought several of the new Airfix twin engine bombers over the last year or so. Loved their DO17 and He111's (H6 & P2), and their Walrus is very nice. I've found that some Airfix decals are nice and sharp, and yet some literally suck. 

gary

Hmm. On the basis of Jonathan Mock's post and yours quoted second (above) I wandered off to my local and bought the new kit (A06015) and while I was there the owner very kindly allowed me to look in the others on his shelf. All six were - as near as I can tell - of exactly the same standard.

To say that your original post is misleading is being too kind. It's nonsense on every point. But, of course, we are all entitled to our opinions, so you are welcome to yours.  i just hope that readers take the time to look for themselves and discover what your opinion is worth to them, because from now on I won't believe a word you write that isn't corroborated by someone whose judgement I trust.

Shane

14 minutes ago, sweier said:

Hmm. On the basis of Jonathan Mock's post and yours quoted second (above) I wandered off to my local and bought the new kit (A06015) and while I was there the owner very kindly allowed me to look in the others on his shelf. All six were - as near as I can tell - of exactly the same standard.

To say that your original post is misleading is being too kind. It's nonsense on every point. But, of course, we are all entitled to our opinions, so you are welcome to yours.  i just hope that readers take the time to look for themselves and discover what your opinion is worth to them, because from now on I won't believe a word you write that isn't corroborated by someone whose judgement I trust.

Shane

rest assured I'll stand with my post! It sucks on a good day. On the otherhand I can only compare a Hasegawa kit to it, and really isn't all that fair. Each has it's pluses minuses. Plus the Hasegawa kit is nearly double the price. It's clear that the Hasegawa kit got the nose glass all wrong (or kinda wrong). Rest is pretty good. Decals must come from another source, as mine were faded and even the outlines looked fuzzy. When I look at the interior to see what is supplied, I tend to look at some other kits. Looks like the "D" team did the B25, and the "A" did the DO17 (samething with the B17). I recently bought the JU 87 kits (1/72 and 1/48th). and they are good kits. Even the decals look like they're from another company! Much better quality.

Would I buy another Airfix B25? probably not. I thought it was a pretty good 1970's kit but no where near a 2018 kit. Being a little frugal, and kinda picky; I've earned the right tobe selective. I might add here, that I judge all twin engine 1/7 scale kits to the Revell JU88.

gary 

• 4 months later...
On 4/5/2018 at 5:35 PM, Steve N said:

Umm..we did.  Hasegawa released both the B-26B/C and F/G ten years ago.  Both are excellent kits.

SN

Why in the world are the Hasegawa Marauders so rare?   Yeah, I know, should have bought them ten years ago.  It puzzles me why Hasegawa won't reissue these kits?  Maybe they sat unsold in the warehouse for years.  But now days they are rare, rare and command a goodly sum on eBay.  Same with the 1/48 A-4B.  Why haven''t they reissued that kit?  Must be some good business rationale.  After all, they are in the business to make money.  

Haseagawa's release policy has always baffled me.  For many years their Beufighters have almost impossible to find.  Same with their 1/72 Avengers.  Fortunately I snagged one each of the Hasegawa B-26B and B-26G when they first hit the shelves.  I'm thinking of building up the B as "Flak Bait" with full invasion stripes, since next year's IPMS Nationals will have a D-Day theme in honor of the 75th anniversary. 

SN

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:19 PM, ChesshireCat said:

gary

Show us a scan of the sheet at a high resolution. The only company who do decals for Airfix now are Cartograf, and their quality stands on it's own worldwide. I'll scan the sheet in my kit, and you scan yours, because clearly there's a discrepancy in either quality or expectation going on here. Let's compare our sheets! 

On 8/18/2018 at 1:37 AM, Dmanton300 said:

Indeed, now go find one! (without paying through the nose)

I just have to go down to my basement. 😉  Your point is well taken, though.  Hasegawa's release policy is rather baffling.  Their B-26s and B-24s are excellent, but hard to find and tend to be insanely expensive.  I think if Airfix decided to do new-tool versions of the Marauder and Liberator that were more widely available and affordable than Hasegawa, they could make a fair profit.  Unfortunately it seems they're content to just re-release the old moldings.  

SN

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:11 PM, dogsbody said:

Thanks for posting this! The kit looks quite nice based on what I'm seeing in the pictures. I was going to pass but I think I'll pop by my LHS and grab the one he has in stock.

Regards,

Don.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 1:41 AM, Dmanton300 said:

Show us a scan of the sheet at a high resolution. The only company who do decals for Airfix now are Cartograf, and their quality stands on it's own worldwide. I'll scan the sheet in my kit, and you scan yours, because clearly there's a discrepancy in either quality or expectation going on here. Let's compare our sheets! 

don't own a scanner anymore, and I'm not buying one to please you! Besides the only good high resolution scanners are the top of the line Epson, and they are very expensive. 

I opened one of the boxes to see if you were right, and your dead wrong. No Cartograph anything on the sheet. Plus they're extremely faded, and look like a fine dot matrix printer.

What is interesting is that the 23rd AS decals are much better quality than the others. The blue in the national insignia is actually a grey purple on the 81st BS sheet. In otherwords junk!  Guess you have to know somebody to get good decals when buying Air@#$%!

gary

I'm not sure what kit you're talking about, but it sure ain't the Airfix B-25C/D I have!  First, here's the Cartograf logo right on the box.

pq4fsgYh.jpg

As for the decals themselves, they're some of the finest I've ever seen in a kit.  Nice, deep colors, perfect registration, and very crisply printed with extremely fine detail.  I'm not sure where you're getting this "faded dot-matrix" nonsense.  For crying out loud, the stencils are actually legible..in 1/72!  And these photos have been compressed by Imgur.  I took the originals with my phone, and they're even clearer.

PzP7oVCh.jpg

fglGfxch.jpg

chRkWmoh.jpg

SN

Well I have been very happy with the recent releases from Airfix. No issues whatsoever with the Cartograf decals either (...and I don't know anybody :woot.gif:). Now that my local Hobby Lobby is stocking the new Airfix kits I can take advantage of their 40% coupons too! They only have the 1/72 P-51D, 1/48 P-51D, and 1/48 P-40 in stock though right now. But I'll be getting this B-25 kit as it looks great from what I can see.

Regards.