New Airfix B-26

• 3 years later...

a new tool or a re-issue of their older kit?

Couldn't resist replying to this vintage post. Airfix's Douglas A-26 Invader (1971) had the rivet treatment; I sanded them off and rescribed the panel lines, won awards at shows. Airfix in 1973 did their Martin B-26 Marauder and dispensed with rivets, did petite panel lines, included decent interior components (including bomb bay!) and it sufficiently supplanted the previous efforts by Revell and Matchbox and Frog. Airfix is still a fine kit, the Hasegawa kit may be slightly better but unless you're looking to win first place at the Nats, you might be better off with Airfix and aftermarket as opposed to the pricey Hasegawa offering.  Only exception is Hasegawa's F/G edition which was previously unkitted.

Hope that helps,

K

• 3 weeks later...

This B-25 discussion was really funny. I looked at built up examples of the 1/72 Airfix, and all I can say is I wish the 1:48th Accurate Miniatures kit was half as good (or even one tenth really)...The accuracy of the cowling, props, and especially the canopy is miles ahead of anything in 1/48. The panel lines looked quite nice, and, if not the smallest I have ever seen, they are not out of line with just about anything made in 1/72. The decals looked superb on the model. 

Having wasted months on resin After Market cowls, mix matching Monogram parts (nose, props, vertical tails) on the hopeless mess that is the Accurate Miniatures kit, only to get nowhere at, I can only say 1/72 scalers are the prince's of this hobby if this is what they call a bad kit...

On 6/13/2022 at 11:31 AM, Robertson said:

This B-25 discussion was really funny. I looked at built up examples of the 1/72 Airfix, and all I can say is I wish the 1:48th Accurate Miniatures kit was half as good (or even one tenth really)...The accuracy of the cowling, props, and especially the canopy is miles ahead of anything in 1/48. The panel lines looked quite nice, and, if not the smallest I have ever seen, they are not out of line with just about anything made in 1/72. The decals looked superb on the model. 

Having wasted months on resin After Market cowls, mix matching Monogram parts (nose, props, vertical tails) on the hopeless mess that is the Accurate Miniatures kit, only to get nowhere at, I can only say 1/72 scalers are the prince's of this hobby if this is what they call a bad kit...

I'll take the Accurate Minatures kit seven days a week. I have all of them in multiples, plus a couple Academy kits (same molds). To be fair the B25b kit did have an issue that can be easily fixed with a Quickboost cowl.

gary

On 6/15/2022 at 6:51 AM, ChesshireCat said:

I'll take the Accurate Minatures kit seven days a week. I have all of them in multiples, plus a couple Academy kits (same molds). To be fair the B25b kit did have an issue that can be easily fixed with a Quickboost cowl.

gary

And a glass nose that pinches to about half the size that is should... (Monogram got it dead on, and that nose section will fit the AM fuselage perfectly). OR prop blades too skinny by half (Monogram again on the mark there) OR tail hinges that are just engraved lines when they should be a semi circles meeting a recessed area (Monogram again dead on, but you get the picture)... Accurate Miniatures were so impressed by these moulds they delayed the kit's release for an ENTIRE two years (1997-1999, test shots builds seen, unchanged from final 1999 release, in 1997) while they sued in court the Korean mould makers to try to get them to correct their garbage... Obviously they lost, since the moulds released in 1999 were identical to the two year old test shots... Then AM folded for a while... And was briefly revived to release their excellent "Vindicator" (hint in the name...) only to fold again, for good this time. I liked this company's attitude, but their kits were generally not very accurate (their P-51s were not bad, but had awful canopies, as was the too narrow Avenger canopy), except their Dauntless, F3F and Vindicator. Their 1/48 B-25 is literally one of the worst kits I have ever seen, to compare the 1/72 new tool Airfix to that is just absurd.

Edited by Robertson