New Airfix B-26

4 hours ago, Steve N said:

I'm not sure what kit you're talking about, but it sure ain't the Airfix B-25C/D I have!  First, here's the Cartograf logo right on the box.

pq4fsgYh.jpg

As for the decals themselves, they're some of the finest I've ever seen in a kit.  Nice, deep colors, perfect registration, and very crisply printed with extremely fine detail.  I'm not sure where you're getting this "faded dot-matrix" nonsense.  For crying out loud, the stencils are actually legible..in 1/72!  And these photos have been compressed by Imgur.  I took the originals with my phone, and they're even clearer.

PzP7oVCh.jpg

fglGfxch.jpg

chRkWmoh.jpg

SN

you will note right away they ain't Cartograph, as there is no logo on the sheet. You will also note that they must be color blind over there as grey won't pass for blue anywhere. The map, and the other two things are much clearer on your sheet than mine. Mine look almost weathered and blurry. No matter how great you claim they are, they're still junk. 

By the way I will stand with my comments about the turrets (or whatever they think they are). Just not really impressed

gary

9 hours ago, Don said:

Thanks for posting this! The kit looks quite nice based on what I'm seeing in the pictures. I was going to pass but I think I'll pop by my LHS and grab the one he has in stock.

Regards,

Don.

before your suckered into one, take a real good look at the kit instructions. Then find a book with good photos. Outside stuff is OK, but forget about what they call an interior. I can live with most of what they claim is an interior, but not the turrets!

gary 

5 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

you will note right away they ain't Cartograph, as there is no logo on the sheet. 

No, I will note right away that they ARE Cartograf. Many many sheets Cartograf print for model companies don't have a logo on the sheet. That's the weakest argument for something not being what it clearly is I've heard for some time. You may not want to "please" me, that's fine, but absent evidence, everything else you say about your sheet can be safely noted and ignored past this point. 

They ARE Cartograf. End of discussion. 

7 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

you will note right away they ain't Cartograph, as there is no logo on the sheet. You will also note that they must be color blind over there as grey won't pass for blue anywhere. The map, and the other two things are much clearer on your sheet than mine. Mine look almost weathered and blurry. No matter how great you claim they are, they're still junk. 

By the way I will stand with my comments about the turrets (or whatever they think they are). Just not really impressed

gary

1 - Good quality scanners do not cost a fortune.

2 - Show us your decal sheet, a phone photo will suffice.

3 - The insignia are supposed to have those washed out portions.

4 - They are printed by Cartograf, but someone could always ask the artist for 100% confirmation.

Screen shot 2017-07-07 at 13.12.24.jpg

Edited by Jonathan Mock
Add pic
11 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

I know the artist. He says they are printed by Cartograph

As do I. I don't totally trust his cheese choices all the time (There's a time and a place for stinking bishop, a living room isn't always it), but I'm pretty certain he knows where he sends his artwork. 

3 minutes ago, Dmanton300 said:

As do I. I don't totally trust his cheese choices all the time (There's a time and a place for stinking bishop, a living room isn't always it), but I'm pretty certain he knows where he sends his artwork. 

I also spoke to him, he said that was Gould's Fiery Fred and that some people should not claim to love cheese if a strong cheddar has them crying into their plastic viking helmet.

Thanks guys. Honestly I spent a goodly portion of last night reading reviews and build articles and I didn't read anything very negative about the kit. Certainly nothing to make a deal breaker. I also assumed the washed out color on the "Desert Warrior" Mitchell's markings was due to it (the real aircraft) being in the hot desert sun. I like that scheme as an RCAF pilot skippered the USAAC crew, something rather rare. For the $25 my LHS is charging it seems like a pretty decent cost. I think I'll stop by today and snag it.

Regards,

Don

12 hours ago, Dmanton300 said:

No, I will note right away that they ARE Cartograf. Many many sheets Cartograf print for model companies don't have a logo on the sheet. That's the weakest argument for something not being what it clearly is I've heard for some time. You may not want to "please" me, that's fine, but absent evidence, everything else you say about your sheet can be safely noted and ignored past this point. 

They ARE Cartograf. End of discussion. 

and I can walk on water.  

glt

Dragging this thread kicking and screaming back to the original topic.. 😎

Here are a couple of snapshots of the (Cartograf!) decals in the newest released of the Airfix Marauder.  They look very nice..perfect printing and registration.  I did notice one glaring inaccuracy though.  Anyone else see it?  Hint: it's in the "Common" markings section.

SN

TVaZJEph.jpg

H9gZPseh.jpg

It could be off the screen in the picture, but I only see common markings from 1-3 and 5-12 with no 4. If so then this kit is rubbish and not worth being duped into buying...:rofl:!

Regards.

EDIT: Spelling.

Edited by Don

Nope.  There is an element visible on the decal sheet that is incorrect (this is just a fun little exercise..not meant as a slam against the kit.  More akin to spotting an amusing typo.)

SN

Edited by Steve N
On 8/15/2018 at 2:39 PM, Steve N said:

Haseagawa's release policy has always baffled me.  For many years their Beufighters have almost impossible to find.  Same with their 1/72 Avengers.  Fortunately I snagged one each of the Hasegawa B-26B and B-26G when they first hit the shelves.  I'm thinking of building up the B as "Flak Bait" with full invasion stripes, since next year's IPMS Nationals will have a D-Day theme in honor of the 75th anniversary. 

SN

Very simple: the vast majority of their market is in Japan, and their decisions are based on Japanese store availability. For years people were complaining about not being able to find Hase Beaufighters on the market. Go into any Japanese shop and this is a common sight you're confronted with:

6Q2_zps3c023c43.jpg

There are three right there, and there was another RAAF one in the stack beside it. Here's all of the F-4s... 

6R1_zpsb7b186f0.jpg

So yeah. Unless these move, Hasegawa is really going to be reluctant to pop out new kits of aircraft that aren't selling in Japan. 

Edited by -Neu-
On 8/21/2018 at 1:17 PM, ChesshireCat said:

and I can walk on water.  

glt

Big deal.....I and all Canadians do this much of the year, we also skate and play various sports on it too.......

Sorry to be late on this but on holidays and finally got on line today........

I like to fish while walking.... and even driving... on water...:woot.gif:!

EDIT: Without a boat even...:thumbsup:

Edited by Don
On 8/25/2018 at 11:18 PM, Steve N said:

Nope.  There is an element visible on the decal sheet that is incorrect (this is just a fun little exercise..not meant as a slam against the kit.  More akin to spotting an amusing typo.)

SN

Hamilton prop logos. Doh!

Yup, I'll take the hit for that.