Are Aztec airbrushes no longer popular?

I've had an Aztec airbrush for probably 4-5 years now, and I went to paint the other day, and the plastic reducer that goes from my compressor to the air hose snapped right off, and I can not find a replacement for it anywhere. I've tried Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Amazon, ebay, HobbytownUSA, etc. It seems to be an odd size too...I've tried several places in town to try to find a metal replacement, and can't. Is Testors/Aztec no longer being sold/supported much? 

I am having problems finding an adapter from a paashe compressor to my hose. Can not find the right one for the life of me! I don't  know exactly what you need, but if you can give me a pix of it I may have what you need. I have some parts.

56 minutes ago, afoxbat said:

Strikeeagle801,

I'm no expert but have you tried  testors.com? I think they carry the Aztek brand and could possibly help you out.

afoxbat

Yes, I've sent them an e-mail, but no response yet. You can't order direct from them any more. 

Aaron 

8 hours ago, strikeeagle801 said:

I've had an Aztec airbrush for probably 4-5 years now, and I went to paint the other day, and the plastic reducer that goes from my compressor to the air hose snapped right off, and I can not find a replacement for it anywhere. I've tried Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Amazon, ebay, HobbytownUSA, etc. It seems to be an odd size too...I've tried several places in town to try to find a metal replacement, and can't. Is Testors/Aztec no longer being sold/supported much? 

Do you have a picture? Adapting from one thread size to another should not be hard. there are only so many sizes of fittings.  Testors still lists a hose on the website, but nothing else for accessories.

https://www.testors.com/product-catalog/testors-brands/aztek/accessories/hose

I ended up finding a brass fitting with a hole on the end just wide enough for the hose to fit in at a local automotive store. The problem is, the thread on the hose adapter is not a common thread...it isn't standard pipe thread, nor is it a standard diameter so finding a "reducer" was impossible. I ended up just cutting the plastic piece off, then threading the hose through the brass fitting. Took some "outside the box" thinking, but it works, and, isn't that what modelling is all about?

Aaron

Ps. Still no response from Testors

When I had my problem I called testors direct. I was suprised when I told the receptionist I could not find the adapter she knew exactly what I was talking about. I was then connected to a guy on the floor and they sent me two free of charge. I was trying to use an aftermarket hose so it didn't help me. Have you called Rustoleum customer service? 

On 4/2/2018 at 7:25 PM, Scooby said:

I love my Aztec. I don’t know what I’d use if it failed.

I started out with a metal Aztec but switched over to a "real" gravity feed airbrush after a year and never looked back.  It is so much easier to use and clean than the Aztec.  Just pull the needle and wipe - done.  No professional airbrush artist uses the Aztec for various reasons.

1 hour ago, RichardL said:

I started out with a metal Aztec but switched over to a "real" gravity feed airbrush after a year and never looked back.  It is so much easier to use and clean than the Aztec.  Just pull the needle and wipe - done.  No professional airbrush artist uses the Aztec for various reasons.

What exactly is a "real" gravity feed airbrush? What model do you have? I'm curious, because for the most part I like the Testors one I have, and it does what I need it to do. However, if parts are going to become hard to find, I'd like to get opinions on what else is out there. 

Aaron

56 minutes ago, strikeeagle801 said:

What exactly is a "real" gravity feed airbrush?

Check out what most expert modelers use in their tips and product reviews to get an idea:

MRP Paints Review by Flory Models

Black Basing Technique by Doogs' Models

Airbrushing Gloss Clear Coat by Will Pattison

Basic Airbrushing: Scale Modelling Tutorial: Part 1 of 3

Having the right tool for the job is very important.  Sure, you can loosen a wheel lug nut with a short 12" adjustable wrench, but it will take a lot of time and effort.  A high-torque impact wrench will accomplish the same job with ease.  

1 hour ago, strikeeagle801 said:

What model do you have? I'm curious, because for the most part I like the Testors one I have, and it does what I need it to do.

You can't go wrong with either the Iwata Eclipse HP CS or the Harder & Steenbeck Evolution Two in One.  Both will do fine freehand camo and spray broad pattern for applying primer and clear coats.  Both are super easy to clean and get replacement parts for.

8 hours ago, RichardL said:

No professional airbrush artist uses the Aztec for various reasons.

I know quite a few who do.

Chris Wauchop, Brett Green, and Spencer Pollard, to name three off the top of my head.

16 hours ago, Scooby said:

Chris Wauchop, Brett Green, and Spencer Pollard, to name three off the top of my head.

Brett Green works for Testors, so of course he uses the Testors Aztec.  I believe Chris Wauchop works for Testors also.  As for Spener Pollard, he is not holding the Aztec in this video, starting at 12:47:  Modeller's workshop 12: Natural Metal Made Easy!

Edited by RichardL
17 hours ago, Scooby said:

I think Brett uses the Aztec much less these days. From memory, most of his articles in Military Illustrated Modeller list him using an Iwata.

I don't think Spencer has used one for a long time either. He usually makes reference to using an Iwata.

I'm genuinely surprised the Aztec still has a market. I can't see any benefits of using it over a standard style of airbrush.

Jon

20 hours ago, Scooby said:

Spencer Pollard used an Iwata when he did demos at your Edmonton contest about 6 years ago......

8 hours ago, RCAFFAN said:

Spencer Pollard used an Iwata when he did demos at your Edmonton contest about 6 years ago......

He borrowed it from one of us if I recall correctly. In his workshop in England he had an Aztec. Vic commented how he never cleaned it and just get spraying color after color.

13 hours ago, RichardL said:

Brett Green works for Testors, so of course he uses the Testors Aztec.  I believe Chris Wauchop works for Testors also.  As for Spener Pollard, he is not holding the Aztec in this video, starting at 12:47:  Modeller's workshop 12: Natural Metal Made Easy!

I'm certain Spencer used to use one religiously, I don't know if he still uses it.

Edited by Scooby