Found this on another site, figured I'd share, just for the heck of it.    Almost looks artificial but it's not.   Note the DIRCM (or whatever the correct acronym is) mounted at far left of the pic.  

Cover Photo

1 hour ago, Whiskey said:

Day late and a dollar short for April Fool's Bee....:rolleyes:

Noooo.....   I got it from Cybermodeler’s portal page.   Great shot of a Chinook, trust me.  They must have updated their page. 

I once had a ride in a Cdn. Chinook from Calgary to CFB Wainwright and once we were over the base (out of civilian Air Traffic) they opened all the doors (safety rule in case of crash) and put it down to treetop level and followed the river. Crew member attached his safety harness and sat out on the ramp like that. Kinda looked like he was fishing off a dock. What a wild ride!!!

6 hours ago, RCAFFAN said:

I once had a ride in a Cdn. Chinook from Calgary to CFB Wainwright and once we were over the base (out of civilian Air Traffic) they opened all the doors (safety rule in case of crash) and put it down to treetop level and followed the river. Crew member attached his safety harness and sat out on the ramp like that. Kinda looked like he was fishing off a dock. What a wild ride!!!

Very cool indeed.

That is a cool pic indeed.  I've done that a time or two (minus the gun) in my time crewing 47s.  11B, I've had flights where I lived in that window during parts of the mission.  Those new engine IR suppressors are a pain in the fool to install.

On 4/3/2018 at 7:27 PM, RCAFFAN said:

CH-47 unit I rode with at Ft. Hood in 1978 had some people who would be connected  with the monkey strap who faced forwards and leaned back, with only their boots on the back edge of the ramp, as in, "Look Ma, no hands".  The next step for those brave enough was to step off the ramp backwards and ride the blast behind the aircraft, this being highly illegal, of course.  I was offered a trial but declined.  On one flight where they did this they had a WAC try it, but after she hooked up they flew over Lake Belton, came to a low hover, and dunked her in the lake.  After they pulled her up, we flew back to Hood AAF, and inadvertently flew across a hot TOW range at low altitude.  We came across an old tank hull target that exploded right in front of us, throwing up a bunch of debris that we flew through.  Had to go over a low hill and put it down...

Good Chinook tales.  Served with an ex-Ranger, he swore he'd never set foot in a 47 ever again.  Never said what happened but told me if I ever was ordered to fly on one to run away.   He was serious....

Sounds like CH-47F's have replaced the USAF "Pedro" HH-60's in Afghanistan and they seem to be doing a good job in the Dustoff / CSAR role.   Found this article if anyone is interested (it has the original pic I tried to post):

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/19949/usaf-pararescuemen-fawn-over-the-armys-chinook-helicopters-in-this-video-from-afghanistan

Still find it curious that the Army felt the need to develop a one-off paint job just for F-model Chinooks.  Love to know what the story was behind that decision.

Wonder if now that the focus is shifting back to the traditional bad guy, we'll eventually see these helos in standard Army CARC?

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:30 PM, FM-Whip said:

CH-47 unit I rode with at Ft. Hood in 1978 had some people who would be connected  with the monkey strap who faced forwards and leaned back, with only their boots on the back edge of the ramp, as in, "Look Ma, no hands".  The next step for those brave enough was to step off the ramp backwards and ride the blast behind the aircraft, this being highly illegal, of course.  I was offered a trial but declined.  On one flight where they did this they had a WAC try it, but after she hooked up they flew over Lake Belton, came to a low hover, and dunked her in the lake.  After they pulled her up, we flew back to Hood AAF, and inadvertently flew across a hot TOW range at low altitude.  We came across an old tank hull target that exploded right in front of us, throwing up a bunch of debris that we flew through.  Had to go over a low hill and put it down...

Because every good Chinook story should start out, "No sh*t, there I was,,,,,,,,"

Surfin_CH-47.jpg

Edited by Hooker169

I don't think the Chinook ever got the CARC scheme as a fleet. Maybe individuals here and there. Most photos I've seen of US Army Chinooks show them in what looks to me like a faded OD.

11 minutes ago, DonSS3 said:

I don't think the Chinook ever got the CARC scheme as a fleet. Maybe individuals here and there. Most photos I've seen of US Army Chinooks show them in what looks to me like a faded OD.

Not sure about the current 'F' model scheme but the "D " model Chinooks all had FS 34031 CARC paint. It just faded to an OD looking green within a couple of years.

All Chinooks weer painted CARC Green (FS 34031) as they went through rebuild in the early '80s, just as all Army helos did.  Anything built after the early '80s came from the factory in CARC Green.  As posted above, what you are seeing is fading of the CARC Green.  In the hot desert sun, they fade pretty badly.  I believe that is why the new F models switched to the new CARC Woodland Desert Sage (FS34201); to lessen fading.

Edited by HeavyArty
7 hours ago, Ishthe47guy said:

This pic always makes me laugh...

Definitely an oldie but a goodie. I remember as a brand new green PV2 walking in to the maintenance office in Panama and seeing this on the wall way back in the mid 90’s. So ya, this baby’s got some legs, lol!

Photoshop wasn’t even a thing yet, was it? So this was pretty cutting edge back then!

At some point in time, I had what looked to be the original, unaltered photo on one of my hard drives.  I'd have to look through the pics I have now to see if I have any pics with the ramp extensions out with the supports holding them up so folks can see how this pic was staged.  I'm still very much in the -47 community, but not working in a place where photo taking is allowed.