Revell 1/32 P-51

I'm building two currently.  It's not all that great of a kit as far as parts fit goes.  Seems to be a new approach to kit design as far as Revell is concerned, but I'm spending a lot of time getting seams cleaned up and gaps filled. I mean a lot of time too  The intake scoop under the wing is really bad and the bottom piece at the cowl in front of the wing was really bad as well.  Minor issues are the front of the wings where the inner leading edge and machine guns are.  I had to use some Evergreen card stock to fill in some gaps.  Of course all of this seam fitting comes with rescribing panel lines too.

Flaps are another issue. They have really bad indentations that have to be filled.  Another issue is the packaging.  The canopy and clear parts sprue should have been in a smaller box to protect them.  One of mine arrived split right down the middle.  Sent the email to ROG and awaiting arrival of a replacement.

I'm building one with the aftermarket resin fillet tail and using the same guy's flaps.  So far not impressed with those parts either.  I've had to do a lot of reshaping to them so far, and some parts were just unusable.  Hold off for the Revell late D model.

EDIT:  Also forgot to mention that the built up cockpit/inner structure is a hair bit too wide.  Could not get the fuse  halves to close up all the way until I filed down the outer corners of the inner structure where they contact the halves.  Had to remove about .030 at most from each corner.

Edited by Scott Smith

Mine also arrived that way. Fortunately the US vendor I bought from (Tower Hobbies) shipped me out a replacement kit (yes, they sent an entire kit for free!), and that canopy survived without damage. 

<<<The canopy and clear parts sprue should have been in a smaller box to protect them.  One of mine arrived split right down the middle.>>>  

Got mine shipped from Sprue Bros on the 30th due to have arrived on Monday and according to tracking as of yesterday (and today) it is delayed or lost in Jackson, Miss.  Why it went that direction I have no clue.  So much for Priority 2 day shipping.

:beer4:

Jerry 

Mine is assembled. Only issue is a slightly sloppy front lower nose piece. The fuselage goes together no problems. The wing leading edge inserts fit well.  The only issue with the cockpit is to sand down any punch marks on the inside of the fuselage halves. That done, the fuselage halves click solidly in place around the cockpit with no gaps. It's a great kit.

Did you fix the concave flaps?  I bought the resin flaps but they are warped like a banana.  I'm going back with the kit flaps and using Tamiya putty to make them flat.

FWIW, I did clean up the raised ejector pin locations and still had to shave down the side corners of the interior section.  

I have finished one  with Eaglcals “Cripes a Mighty”. For the money I think this a dang nice kit with loads of detail and some nice extras and nice, super complete decal. I was impressed with my clear parts. My only fit issues were the radiator intake assembly which was a snug fit with a little mis-match and some gaposis at the gun fairings. My flaps had sink marks as well but that’s an easy peasy fix.  Everything else was pretty kopesetic. I’ve been using Tamiya rattle can silvers (there are several shades) for my bare metal finishes and that’s what I used on this model. As long as you're not looking for a bright polished look, these paints are awesome. They cover well, shine nicely, will take polishing with mild compounds and are super durable. I love them! My only add ons were a set of harnesses from Eduard snd some homemade wiring on the radio and battery.

11 hours ago, Scott Smith said:

Did you fix the concave flaps?  I bought the resin flaps but they are warped like a banana.  I'm going back with the kit flaps and using Tamiya putty to make them flat.

FWIW, I did clean up the raised ejector pin locations and still had to shave down the side corners of the interior section.  

Yup. Filled them in with Mr. Surfacer. Need to still run a rivet wheel across. Like BillS says, not a biggie. Like I said, great kit and really hoping for a B

6 hours ago, BillS said:

.... I’ve been using Tamiya rattle can silvers (there are several shades) for my bare metal finishes and that’s what I used on this model. As long as you're not looking for a bright polished look, these paints are awesome. They cover well, shine nicely, will take polishing with mild compounds and are super durable. I love them! .

Yea, those Tamiya rattle cans are great!  I have only had one issue.  Trying to top coat using acrylics. Rattle cans provide such a slick surface, I found out I need to tape off and scuff before adding any top color stripes.  Proof right there they are a great paint. 

I used them to paint 5 1/32 F-16's white for a Thunderbird display I did. Nice and shiny with a deep gloss.  A few months later I did another white airplane and for some reason I didn't get as high of a gloss finish.  All I could figure was different paint batch or weather conditions, although I was inside an air conditioned room painting them all. 

Edited by Scott Smith

I received mine yesterday and the first thing out of the end of the box was this.

Broken canopy. :angry:  Sprue Bros didn't back it up, just referred me to Revell for a replacement.

If you have one on order be sure to check the canopy on arrival.

Cheers,

Jerry

Edited by k5ikl
2 hours ago, k5ikl said:

I received mine yesterday and the first thing out of the end of the box was this.

P-51_Canopy.jpg

Broken canopy. :angry:  Sprue Bros didn't back it up, just referred me to Revell for a replacement.

If you have one on order be sure to check the canopy on arrival.

Cheers,

Jerry

I finally took the clear parts out of the bag a few minutes ago, and it was a good thing I did! The canopy had become separated from the spru (both pieces). I don't think I've ever seen clear parts cast that thin! Wrapped them up in a napkin, as I didn't further issues. There was one small scratch on the main piece, maybe a millimeter and a half in diameter. Not deep as I can just barely feel it with my finger nail. It'll polish out fairly easily. I often wrap the clear parts in Kleenex or a napkin just as a precaution. Have two other Mustangs to look at.

gary 

I had ordered two of them and just to report one the canopy sprue had everything intact and no cracks, while the other had the canopy and windscreen separated with a crack on the canopy running from the front about halfway down the top toward the rear portion.  I contacted Tower hobbies whom I'd ordered from but they are out of stock and could not send a replacement kit, but did forward the link for Revell-Germany.   According to their email response it will take 4-6 weeks for the canopy replacement part to arrive, all those who have the same experience please report this to the above company so their product support can address this issue any future releases of this kit or others.

23 hours ago, Scott Smith said:

I'm on week 6 wait. Nothing yet.  Wondering with the shakeup and closing of Revell here in the States, if I'll ever see it. Germany sent to Revell USA, and they send out to requests in the states.

I was wondering the same thing. Well, if worse come to worst, hopefully one my left over tamiya p-51 canopies will work

Edited by goondman
  • 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Viper_944FW said:

Anyone get their new/unbroken canopy yet?

I am still waiting.  However, I got a Tamiya canopy from someone on LSP.

Cheers,

Jerry

I guess I'm one of the lucky few.  I bought my kit probably over a month ago but it wasn't until last night that I really took a good hard look at the canopy.  Everything on the clear sprue was intact and in perfect shape.  No splits.  No breakage.  No separation.  No blemishes of any sort.  Call me lucky, I guess.

Eric