Revell 1/32 P-51

On 5/30/2018 at 9:12 PM, modelingbob said:

Got my replacement clear parts today. Used the following link. Took about two weeks from the time I submitted the request. My replacement parts are a significant improvement over the previous parts (that's good news!). 

https://www.revell.de/en/service/service-form/model-building.html

Odd. That's what I did and they responded with "go through Revell USA". Of course that was RIGHT before they went bankrupt. I wonder if I should try again.

Edited by goondman

Below is their website generated message I received when making my part request:

" Dear Valued Customer,

Please note that you have ordered a part(s) from a kit produced by Revell Germany. Consequently your order must be filled by the parts department in Germany. It normally takes 4 to 6 weeks for orders to be filled by Germany and returned to the USA. Once the order is in the USA, it will be shipped to you."

Revell USA has ceased operations completely and if you did not receive your replacement parts before they ceased operations, you will NOT be receiving them. Do not waste your time going through the Revell USA website. Do use the Revell Germany link I posted and you will get them.

Well I might have slipped under the wire on that, but since it gets sent to Revell USA and then shipped to me perhaps I'm in limbo since my understanding is that Revell America furloughed off all it's employees.  So it might be sitting on some shelf alongside the Ark of the Covenant somewhere waiting for shipment . . . . .

Edited by Viper_944FW
6 hours ago, Viper_944FW said:

Well I might have slipped under the wire on that, but since it gets sent to Revell USA and then shipped to me perhaps I'm in limbo since my understanding is that Revell America furloughed off all it's employees.  So it might be sitting on some shelf alongside the Ark of the Covenant somewhere waiting for shipment . . . . .

You and me both. Bet you can't guess when my order was accepted? That's right, April 13th :-(:::::::::::::::::::::::

Just a quick update, I messaged both Revell USA & Germany regarding my part replacement on the 4th of June and have yet to receive a reply.  I suspect the bankruptcy has put a hold on all activity at both entities until the new owners decide what will be done with their newly acquired tooling.  Sad to see both Monogram & Revell who were a part of my childhood crushed by foreign competition and greed, but that's the way things workout I guess and we must move along to the next chapter of this saga.  If anyone out there produces a drop-in replacement for this item (canopy) please let me know and I'll purchase said item.

Well I will chalk it up to the pursuit of ever-greater profits, which I suppose if you run a business that is what you wish for.  To me the irony in all this is those said companies shipping their tools and molds over-seas to reduce their overhead costs and make more money rather than employee people from here.  Call it globalism, greed, or whatever, the fact is those companies had loyal customers not just here but world-wide and now what do they have?  I don't wish to get into a pissing match here with anyone, so just back off and let others express their own opinions.

Cheers from the deep underground shelter.

Yes to all those items as well, there is plenty of pressure on "western" manufacturers versus the "Chinese" makers to reduce costs.  Not denigrating their products since I own many Trumpeter/HobbyBoss/Kitthawk/GWH, etc, but it is difficult to compete against their production overhead costs, they have basically swallowed up kit manufacturing with the exception of Tamiya/Hasegawa.  It certainly is a differently world from when this old fart grew up in the 60-70s building Revell & Monogram kits . . . .

I think, for me at least, the big turn off is Revellogram/RoG kept their ancient, very obsolete kits going forward when they were hopelessly outclassed.  

Revell easily could have produced a new F-15A/B/C/D family on par with their (almost) legendary F-15E kit...but chose not to..and instead let Hasegawa have the "high detail" Eagle playground all to itself until the rise of the GWH Eagles a few years ago. 

And there are many, many more examples. 

It seems like they really, really made a hard go of it at the end (with their new 1/32 family of kits)..the 1/32 P-51D, 109G-6, Spit MkII and IX and the FW-190A-8 and F-8...while not Tamiya level shake and bake..they're still an insane value for the kit you get. 

I think if they had put that same effort into their kits 20 years ago..things could have been different. 

I think you're right Jonathan, it might have been a case of too-little-too-late.  I just hope they comeback streamlined and ready for business, as I did like their latest offerings.

Edited by Viper_944FW
26 minutes ago, Viper_944FW said:

I think you're right Jonathan, it might have been a case of too-little-too-late.  I just hope they comeback streamlined and ready for business, as I did like their latest offerings.

Me too!

I'm really looking forward to a P-51D late version, and I'd love it if they would do a new tool 1/32 190 D-9, P-51B/C, P-47 and P-38 (especially the P-38). 

I think if they could produce those kits with a price point of below say...$50 USD and keep it at the detail as their new kits..they'd do very well, since the P-51 sells like hotcakes. 

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:17 PM, Scott Smith said:

I'm on week 6 wait. Nothing yet.  Wondering with the shakeup and closing of Revell here in the States, if I'll ever see it. Germany sent to Revell USA, and they send out to requests in the states.

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:47 AM, echolmberg said:

I guess I'm one of the lucky few.  I bought my kit probably over a month ago but it wasn't until last night that I really took a good hard look at the canopy.  Everything on the clear sprue was intact and in perfect shape.  No splits.  No breakage.  No separation.  No blemishes of any sort.  Call me lucky, I guess.

Eric

If I ran the show at Revell, and wanted to get back into the markets again (in a big way); I'd start small. First reissue their famous JU88's in 1/72 scale, but with more options. From there move into other JU88's and perhaps a couple JU188's. I bought three or four of each kit when they came out, and now I'm glad I got greedy! They've virtually vanished from the shelves. Next; I'd expand the Spitfire line and do some minor retooling of the MK. II. The MK.II I really a nice MK.Va  out of the box. How hard would it be to kit a MK.Vb or Vc? New wings and some small parts probably. Then I'd revise the BF109g6 and perhaps be looking at a BF109G14 series. Not much wrong with their FW190's, but they could easily bring out some new versions without spending a lot of money. One new spru could give us a FW190a9 and an F9.

As for the old kits; some are pretty good. The He162 is still known to be good. Nothing wrong with the Stearman, and the old F100 series are still the best we can get our hands on. Certainly there are (or were) kits that needed to be revised, but were essentially sound. Their twin engine bomber series would be nice with recessed panel lines, but in a few cases wasn't needed.  

just some thoughts

gary

There are some good older Revell kits, no doubt there...I mean in other cases...

1/48 Revell P-51? You're outta here.  1/48 F-15A/C? See ya.   1/48 P-38?  You're done kid. 

A new tool 1/48 B-25/B-26?  Now we're talking.  A 1/32 B-25 or B-26?  There ya go..

• 2 weeks later...