Revell 1/32 P-51

I have one on order for a reasonable price but no stock. Expecting it by the fall. No hurry. I am going to do a Strike Eagle first before the mustang. I also have the Tamiya P-51 so that is an option to do as well. In fact it might be better to build the Tamiya kit first then the revell kit. Could help to improve the Revell kit.

3 hours ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

I've been debating on doing a triple build comparison...Tamiya, Revell and ZM..probably call it something cheeky like the "Horse Race" build or something like that..

How's about Dog and Pony Show? 😉

Edited by goondman
3 hours ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

I've been debating on doing a triple build comparison...Tamiya, Revell and ZM..probably call it something cheeky like the "Horse Race" build or something like that..

You'll throw the Revell in the trash halfway through after seeing how the Tamiya goes together.  I suggest you build the Revell first, then the other two.  Because if you build one of the others first, you're not gonna finish that Revell!

Sorry, I'm no fan of that Revell kit.

1 hour ago, Scott Smith said:

You'll throw the Revell in the trash halfway through after seeing how the Tamiya goes together.  I suggest you build the Revell first, then the other two.  Because if you build one of the others first, you're not gonna finish that Revell!

I was actually planning on doing the Revell first then the Tamiya, followed by the ZM. 

2 hours ago, Scott Smith said:

then why post on a Revell subject?  I found the Revell P51 refreshing, and very nice. Not perfect (your Tamiya kit isn't as well), but for $27 it kinda makes one wonder about spending $130 for a box of plastic. On the otherhand, if we compared the P51 from Revell to the Tamiya Corsair, it'd be no contest!

gary

Funny, I previously built the Tamiya P-51 kit, and I'm now building the Revell P-51 kit. I'm really enjoying the Revell kit and it definitely ain't going in the trash. Actually, while the Tamiya kit is definitely superior, when I consider the cost difference, the Revell kit scores very high marks. I WILL be building more Revell kits (due to cost) than Tamiya kits (I likely won't build another due to cost)!!! 

10 minutes ago, ChesshireCat said:

then why post on a Revell subject?  I found the Revell P51 refreshing, and very nice. Not perfect (your Tamiya kit isn't as well), but for $27 it kinda makes one wonder about spending $130 for a box of plastic. On the otherhand, if we compared the P51 from Revell to the Tamiya Corsair, it'd be no contest!

gary

Well it's like...I view it this way..

The Revell is a very good representation of a early P-51D..and it's price reflects its features..it doesn't have removable panels, it doesn't have a detailed Merlin, it doesn't have a choice of tail options..it's not intending to be a Tamiya rival..not sure why someone rips it for something it has no intentions of being? 

If you go back in this post I think I have posted my reasons for the dislike.  In all honesty, personality I'd rather spend a little more up front and have less of a battle getting parts to fit, filling in gaps and chasing around replacement parts. 

Build time at my bench is very limited. I'd rather spend less time making corrections and building good fitting kits.  

Im not really concerned about details like 100% correct outlines or every panel line in the correct location.   But when parts don't fit without several applications of filler, yea I have some dislike for it. 

If this kit was designed 10-20 years ago, or a one off design from an obscure cottage manufacturer  I wouldn't say anything. But with modern CAD and other design systems from one of the industries oldest companies, no excuse.  

And besides, it brought lively discussion to the thread! 

My build time is also limited. And I have not used a spot of filler on my Revell P-51. A little Mr Surfacer to tidy up a few spots, but no filler and repeated applications. I'm actually building my Revell kit in about 1/4 the time of the Tamiya kit. And I only paid $24 for my Revell kit delivered to my door. 

24 minutes ago, modelingbob said:

My build time is also limited. And I have not used a spot of filler on my Revell P-51. A little Mr Surfacer to tidy up a few spots, but no filler and repeated applications. I'm actually building my Revell kit in about 1/4 the time of the Tamiya kit. And I only paid $24 for my Revell kit delivered to my door. 

And I thought I got the deal! Actually, I paid a tick under $31 for my first one, and $27 for the other two. About the only aftermarket I might want is metal landing gear, and maybe a different seat. Regarding open panels (I like them) on an airframe, but they seem to be outta vogue these days. The engine would have been nice, but also not needed. rest don't mean a thing to me.  I'm sorta wanting Revell to make the radio changes and some other small bits, so we can have a great Korean War machine. Now I for one, do not think this P51 is as good as their FW190f8, but still pretty close (@ $27 a piece). 

We all have favorites and ones we just can't seem to get into. Myself, I'm on the Great Wall Hobby band wagon with HK a close second.

gary 

15 hours ago, Scott Smith said:

.  In all honesty, personality I'd rather spend a little more up front and have less of a battle getting parts to fit, filling in gaps and chasing around replacement parts. 

That’s not an unreasonable position to take, in general. I would expect, however, that most people do not consider a price difference of 300% or more to be a “little more money”.   I consider a price difference of maybe 20-30% the threshold of “a little more”

13 hours ago, modelingbob said:

Not even the bottom scoop?  I'm building two at the same time.  Both scoops had very horrible gaps everywhere they join together.   The wing LE where the panel is with the machine gun ports we also another issue.  It lined up great at the LE, but the square where it cuts back behind the ports would not fit flush with the wing surface, but only on one wing half.

flaps were so hollowed out, I had to layer up several coats of Tamiya putty a little at a time. 

Had to do lots of mods to get the bottom of the cowl to fit right as well as the wind screen in front of the cowl.  It was actually the dash top, or sun shield, that was throwing the wind screen off.

Tread on the tires would not line up, no matter how much I turned and twisted them.

Now I'm starting to wonder if early production kits had some issues.

2 minutes ago, Scott Smith said:

Not even the bottom scoop?  I'm building two at the same time.  Both scoops had very horrible gaps everywhere they join together.   The wing LE where the panel is with the machine gun ports we also another issue.  It lined up great at the LE, but the square where it cuts back behind the ports would not fit flush with the wing surface, but only on one wing half.

flaps were so hollowed out, I had to layer up several coats of Tamiya putty a little at a time. 

Had to do lots of mods to get the bottom of the cowl to fit right as well as the wind screen in front of the cowl.  It was actually the dash top, or sun shield, that was throwing the wind screen off.

Tread on the tires would not line up, no matter how much I turned and twisted them.

Now I'm starting to wonder if early production kits had some issues.

Nope, no issues with either the carb or radiator intakes, and the wing LE inserts. Or the cowl, or the windscreen fit. The only fit issue I had was the side cockpit framing had to be reduced in width by about 50%, or else the fuselage would not close correctly. That may be why you experienced the fit issues and I did not. My tire treads lined up pretty nicely, but most of that tread got sanded away when I dealt with the join seam and it was a simple rescribe job. 

The only issues I had with the kit were a crappy canopy and windscreen with moulding defects (but I got replacement parts from RoG in two weeks with no charge, and they were much better in moulding quality). And some sink marks, especially on the flaps, which required a single coat of Mr Surfacer and took all of 10 minutes to sand smooth. No worse than all the ejector pin marks I had to deal with on the Tamiya kit. 

IMNSHO, the Revell kit is a contender for kit of the year, especially when one considers the price. It's accurate in shape, and a pretty quick build. 

I just hate that you had so much trouble with the new Revell P-51D.  I can understand your frustration with all the issues you had.  Maybe if you were to try another you could do better next time!  Maybe Skill Level 5 is just stretching things for you?  Always reach for a higher level - it's what makes us grow!

C2j

I build really sloooow. So,  spending on a high end Tamiya kit is okay.  This is not the way to go if your in collector mode. I have the Tamiya F-14D on pre-order and while its another expensive Tamiya kit it will probably take me a least a year to finish it. However, I made a promise to myself to build the Revell/Academy F15E Stike eagle first so we shall see.

Edited by Launch

I have limited space for 1/32 scale prop jobs...which is okay considering they're the size of 1/48 modern aircraft. 

That being said I plan on really only doing two or three of a few different aircraft..if I only ever buy and build one Tamiya Mustang..that's okay..

I'll probably end up building many more 1/48 Airfix, Tamiya and (future) Eduard Mustangs. 

5 hours ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

I have limited space for 1/32 scale prop jobs...which is okay considering they're the size of 1/48 modern aircraft. 

That being said I plan on really only doing two or three of a few different aircraft..if I only ever buy and build one Tamiya Mustang..that's okay..

I'll probably end up building many more 1/48 Airfix, Tamiya and (future) Eduard Mustangs. 

I'm with you! Space is an issue with me as well. I do build a lot of 1/32 single engine props, but the thought of something like a 1/32 Mig31 flat scares me to death. I did 1/48th single engine fighters till I tried a Hasegawa 109 in 1/32. I knew I'd found a new home. On the otherhand, I do 1/72 and even a few 1/48th bombers. Mostly 1/72 just for the space.

I did a quasi inventory a few days back of 1/48th BF109 kits. I counted 18 kits from just about everybody. But mostly from Hasegawa and Fujimi in 1/48th. Decided to buy several of the new Eduard series kits over the winter. I kinda waited to see what the community thought about them first. 

gary

I thoroughly enjoyed the Revell P-51D and will build the later version when it arrives. It was a simple build. Regarding the interior framing, just sand all the parts to remove minor mould seems and the fuselage goes together beautifully. Yes, some filler on intake and the underside nose panel needs some work. Basic model skills. Great kit !!

• 2 weeks later...

I am finishing up the Revell P-51D and all in all, not a bad kit.  Does not really compare to the Tamiya kit, but at a fraction of the cost and time needed you can build up a really nice mustang.  The cockpit is really nice, and yes, the flaps need replacing ( I used AMUR's which are amazing ).  Also went with the Model Monkey 3D Printed exhausts and shrouds.  My clear parts are not fantastic, but some are better than what is in my kit.  Fun kit!

puSWvY.jpg

KReNC0.jpg

WAcdEm.jpg

Chris

Edited by CANicoll
52 minutes ago, CANicoll said:

I am finishing up the Revell P-51D and all in all, not a bad kit.  Does not really compare to the Tamiya kit, but at a fraction of the cost and time needed you can build up a really nice mustang.  The cockpit is really nice, and yes, the flaps need replacing ( I used AMUR's which are amazing ).  Also went with the Model Monkey 3D Printed exhausts and shrouds.  My clear parts are not fantastic, but some are better than what is in my kit.  Fun kit!

puSWvY.jpg

KReNC0.jpg

WAcdEm.jpg

Chris

Looking GREAT!!!!!! But what's wrong with kit flaps?

Mine (and apparently most) have a nasty trough down the length of the flap, and lack the rivet detail as well.  Revell casts them hollow hence the trough.  I tried some Mr. Surfacer to fix the trough, but just messed up the flaps.   I really like the AMUR flaps as replacements.

Here are all three: AMUR, Revell and Tamiya flaps top to bottom.  Trust me they are all the same size - I took the picture at an angle.  The AMUR flaps don't have the cut out that the Tamiya flaps have, but have the rivet detail lacking in the Revell flaps.

5db5XC.jpg

See - the same size ( and the flaps also fit the Tamiya kit ).

gU5FWz.jpg

Here are the AMUR flaps in gloss black primer to show off the rivet detail:

XQkOJF.jpg

Hope this helps.

Chris

Edited by CANicoll
Added photos.