HB 1/48 Su-27 (early) cockpit color question

I've got this kit just the other day and had a look at the instructions. They want you indeed to paint the cockpit

BLACK. Black? I realize it's an "early" Version, but black for the cockpit just seems wrong to me. Wouldn't

bluegrey make more sense?

Any comment appreciated.

Lothar

2 hours ago, polybebber said:

I've got this kit just the other day and had a look at the instructions. They want you indeed to paint the cockpit

BLACK. Black? I realize it's an "early" Version, but black for the cockpit just seems wrong to me. Wouldn't

Any comment appreciated.

Lothar

Disregard, misunderstood the question

Edited by goondman
2 hours ago, polybebber said:

Any comment appreciated.

Lothar

Ask flankerman, he would probably know

3 hours ago, polybebber said:

Any comment appreciated.

Lothar

I recently purchased the same kit. I saw that in the instructions and laughed. The correct color to the Su-27 cockpits is "usually" a light to medium blue grey color. If you Google Su-27 cockpit you will get some photos with examples. AKAN makes a paint for Suhkoi cockpits but it seems too dark to me. MRP (AKA Mr Paint) also makes version which looks much closer to the color seen in most photos. I used it on the Su-33 I am building now.

Now, if you try to use Eduards color photoetch, they have the color all wrong, being more of a very light blue. Dream models make color photoetch for the Su-33 and the Academy Su-27 that have a much better color. Unfortunately, they don't make a set for the Hobby Boss kit.

40 minutes ago, Mstor said:

I recently purchased the same kit. I saw that in the instructions and laughed. The correct color to the Su-27 cockpits is "usually" a light to medium blue grey color. If you Google Su-27 cockpit you will get some photos with examples. AKAN makes a paint for Suhkoi cockpits but it seems too dark to me. MRP (AKA Mr Paint) also makes version which looks much closer to the color seen in most photos. I used it on the Su-33 I am building now.

Now, if you try to use Eduards color photoetch, they have the color all wrong, being more of a very light blue. Dream models make color photoetch for the Su-33 and the Academy Su-27 that have a much better color. Unfortunately, they don't make a set for the Hobby Boss kit.

Thanks a bunch for your help. I'm glad to know which paint to look for.

Lothar

18 hours ago, goondman said:

Ask flankerman, he would probably know

This is me sat in the cockpit of a Su-33 (excuse my bare knees!)..........

Su-33_Cockpit.jpg

Every Flanker cockpit I have ever seen is blue-grey - on my 1/72 scale models I use Humbrol Helblau - with a dash of grey.

Ken

4 hours ago, Flankerman said:

This is me sat in the cockpit of a Su-33 (excuse my bare knees!).........

I didn't know that was you. Every time I Google Su-27 cockpits I see this pic. Have it saved in my research collection.

Now I will think of you every time I see it ;-)

4 hours ago, Flankerman said:

This is me sat in the cockpit of a Su-33 (excuse my bare knees!)..........

Su-33_Cockpit.jpg

Every Flanker cockpit I have ever seen is blue-grey - on my 1/72 scale models I use Humbrol Helblau - with a dash of grey.

Ken

Sexy knees and the correct cockpit color - it can't get any better :thumbsup:

Lothar