1/48 ZM F-4D is stock at Sprue Brothers

Had mine shipped straight from Japan and received it Feb 27th.  Same as their F-4C except for the inclusion of Sprue ' L'  which contains the F-4D specific parts. There is a different instrument coaming, it looks like the rear panel is different and the fairing under the nose depicts the most common style found on the 'D' with the APR-26 RHAW antenna hump at the rear of the housing.  The later version from the mid 1980's ( with the " zits " )  is not included which is quite surprising and disappointing.

Also received their new SWS48-04-D03 1/48th F-4J/S VMFA-235 Decal Sheet.   It says it's  printed by CARTOGRAF and looks very good.

Incidentally, did you know that Jeffrey Kubiak from Hypersonic Models closed his operation in the UK effective March 31st 2018 and is relocating to Japan.
See the attached notice below:

" Hypersonic Models' shop is now closed for major relocation. We will move from the UK to Japan and can't produce or sell until the workshop is back up and running and all supply chains have been established. I estimate to be back live around August 2018. Naturally things will be a bit different after re-opening, prices will be in Yen for starters and postage rates will reflect the new location. There will be a currency converter tool to give you an indication of the daily exchange rates. While the shop is closed, you can order HM products from a few places: Hobbyland and Kustom Models in Japan, Shmipu in China and, in terms of postage and tax most attractive for guys in Europe and the Americas, from The48ers in Cyprus. "

Perhaps Jeffrey will be hired by Zoukei-Mura Inc to help fix the rear fuselage problems in their F-4 kits. LOL

Oz

Ben, wasn't there a resin company that made USAF Phantom parts and conversions in 1/48?

I remember an ARN-101, towel rail, Israeli sidewinder pylon for the Sparrow well,  TISEO, etc, in 1/48 resin,,,,,from someone.

They had excellant placement drawings, making this 1/72 scale modeler jealous, lol.

Rex, AirDoc made an ARN-101 conversion, but it was missing the cockpit mods and was pretty expensive for what you got: LINK   I never bought one, because I didn't want to take a chance on cutting the  wing and then finding out the TISEO insert was too small. Dave's comments about their F-4D radome, farther down the same page, scared me off. The RWR antennae on the drag chute door weren't done right, either.

I'm happy to update my Hasegawa F-4E kits, but it will still be fun to see what Z-M can do with an E. 

Ben

On 4/6/2018 at 3:17 AM, Ozzie said:

Had mine shipped straight from Japan and received it Feb 27th.  Same as their F-4C except for the inclusion of Sprue ' L'  which contains the F-4D specific parts. There is a different instrument coaming, it looks like the rear panel is different and the fairing under the nose depicts the most common style found on the 'D' with the APR-26 RHAW antenna hump at the rear of the housing.  The later version from the mid 1980's ( with the " zits " )  is not included which is quite surprising and disappointing.

Also received their new SWS48-04-D03 1/48th F-4J/S VMFA-235 Decal Sheet.   It says it's  printed by CARTOGRAF and looks very good.

Perhaps Jeffrey will be hired by Zoukei-Mura Inc to help fix the rear fuselage problems in their F-4 kits. LOL

Oz

I waited because shipping from Japan was $35 US more than I knew Sprue Brothers was going to be.

All their Phantom decals have been printed by Cartograf.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone in the hobby industry in Japan didn't go after Jeff's talent.

well here we go again! I just finally got the chance to buy all the paint I need for the F4c kits I bought (I'm slow), and now need at least one A.M. set of decals. Then they bring out the F4d!!! Now I'll order in two of these, plus something else to break the $200 mark for free shipping. How far away can the F4e be?

The one thing about ZM I really like is they spec Vallejo paints. I've became seriously addicted to this brand of paint. Wish the other brands would wake up and quit calling out the off brands that force you to goto a paint chart to cross reference. 

gary

I'm extremely curious as to what an "off brand" of paint is compared to Vallejo.

I'm sure it isn't Model Master, Humbrol, Gunze, Tamiya,,,,,or even Italeri paints.

4 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

well here we go again! I just finally got the chance to buy all the paint I need for the F4c kits I bought (I'm slow), and now need at least one A.M. set of decals. Then they bring out the F4d!!! Now I'll order in two of these, plus something else to break the $200 mark for free shipping. How far away can the F4e be?

The one thing about ZM I really like is they spec Vallejo paints. I've became seriously addicted to this brand of paint. Wish the other brands would wake up and quit calling out the off brands that force you to goto a paint chart to cross reference. 

gary

If you can get results with Vallejo, you’re a better man than I!

23 hours ago, Rex said:

I'm extremely curious as to what an "off brand" of paint is compared to Vallejo.

I'm sure it isn't Model Master, Humbrol, Gunze, Tamiya,,,,,or even Italeri paints.

Honestly, I used nothing but Tamiya and Model Master paints after Poly Scale disappeared. Then My LHS guy cons me into buy two bottles of Vallejo Air paint to do a couple WWII armor kits. Just prior to that I had been trying Humbrol, and liked everything but the thinning process. Yesterday I bought some rail road paint from Mr Color and another one in green from somebody I don't remember. The Vallejo just sprays thru my three brushes very well (Iwata Eclipse, Pasche H, and the Iwata pistol grip). Seems to clean up well. I really liked the Model Master paints even though I had to thin them. I still use all the paints I mentioned, but just like the Vallejo. Seems to be the general consensus  at my LHS as well, as they seem to be out of stock on a regular basis. Want to try the new Mission Model paints and one other. 

Paint quality has seriously evolved over the couple years, and we all should be happy over it.

gary

On 4/9/2018 at 4:48 PM, Rex said:

Revell Germany and their bloody mixes of paint nobody uses. Really hard to match a mix based on a paint line you can't buy most anywhere with non-standard names.

here it is again

In one thread, people are mad that the model company reccommends their own paint line (RoG is not the only one doing it), and at the same time, in a different thread, a different group are saying that giving paint matches isn't helpful

It is so hard for me to believe that in the age of alternative paints, people resist others getting free paint chips when the chips are $49USD each.

5 minutes ago, Rex said:

here it is again

In one thread, people are mad that the model company reccommends their own paint line (RoG is not the only one doing it), and at the same time, in a different thread, a different group are saying that giving paint matches isn't helpful

It is so hard for me to believe that in the age of alternative paints, people resist others getting free paint chips when the chips are $49USD each.

You misunderstand my beef.

RoG largely provides paint mixes, not straight paint callouts, and unlike the other makers, their paint is both generally obscure (meaning poor to no match charts) and they provide no alternative info and inaccurate colour names (aside from occasionally giving main scheme callouts). It's a regular bloody mystery to figure out some of their colour callouts.

It's one thing to provide callouts from your own paint line. It's another to provide a guessing game. (Tamiya is the only other manufacturer I've seen regularly provide mixes as a callout, and they've largely moved away from that today)

Edited by mawz

Ohh, I see now.

Yeah, 50% xyz + 20% abc+ 30% cde, gives a color that the modeler just mixed,,,and he has no way of knowing if he got it right or not. (and he better have mixed more than enough, unless he is really good at getting droplets the same size, for a second batch)

I do apologize for thinking that you were saying the other common thing. That is on me.

1 hour ago, mawz said:

RoG largely provides paint mixes, not straight paint callouts, and unlike the other makers, their paint is both generally obscure (meaning poor to no match charts) and they provide no alternative info and inaccurate colour names (aside from occasionally giving main scheme callouts). It's a regular bloody mystery to figure out some of their colour callouts.

It's one thing to provide callouts from your own paint line. It's another to provide a guessing game. (Tamiya is the only other manufacturer I've seen regularly provide mixes as a callout, and they've largely moved away from that today)

For this issue I usually cross-reference with other sources such as photographs of the actual item or the instruction manual of the same subject from another manufacturer. I’ll sometimes even reference another person’s build to see what he/she used. 

Mark

2 hours ago, mawz said:

I found the Revell color charts on Bing Images awhile back, but they had no cross matches. There are hundreds of paint charts on there. 

gary

17 hours ago, gb_madcat_sl said:

For this issue I usually cross-reference with other sources such as photographs of the actual item or the instruction manual of the same subject from another manufacturer. I’ll sometimes even reference another person’s build to see what he/she used. 

Mark

That's what I do as well, but it's annoying for info that should be in the instructions in usable format.

• 3 months later...

This was my effort on the Hasegawa version.  I added the towel tack and had to rebuild most of the tail section after a putty accident left it deformed.  This was done in 1990 and had been in work for many years before that, having been transported all around the country and may parts being broken in the process.  I finished it and gave it to a retired F-4 driver at Luke AFB in 1996.  As far as I know, he still has it. 

I look forward to doing the ZM kit.  The cross-section issue on the tail will get fixed or I'll purchase one of Jeffery's mods. 

148 F4D 01 lo res.jpg

Why bother hacking into a kit whch already has the best cross section rear fuselage to start with?

I just dont get it.

In the effort vs reward scale it barely regsters. Heap of effort for barely zero change.

Thats a great looking F-4D build yet that kit has a far worse rear fuse cross section than the ZM kit yet would anyone care if they got such a great looking result?

Did we care all those years knowing the Hasegawa nose has a problem?

First nobody would ever know about the Hasegawa,Academy or ZM kits being off if they are as nobody has ever presented anything anywhere that shows exactly what is wrong.

Just a pile of spurious photos and opinions based off wide angle images full of distortion and no exact description.

And all of this started from a post about a pre build test shot after kit release which was modified extensively afterwards to match the lidar scannng when the error was found.

It seems the better kits get the larger the volume of criticism of minute errors nobody can even see.