ANA abd FS 595 timeline that I promised to a few people

A big thanks for your timeline of US military paint standards! I've long searched for something like this. I saved it for future reference, and already I learned a thing or two about the FS 595A and B fandecks that I have. I have one question. You write:

"The fandecks are of course, the worst to use. They aren't paint chips. They were printed ink on cardstock, ..."

Are you sure that they are printed with inks? The division line between inks and paints is really vague, but the fan deck looks like paint instead of ink to me. They have a certain thickness, and they come in three glossiness grades, something you cannot do with inks as far as I know. I happened to see an episode of 'How it's made' about paint fandecks. They tell the paint is a lacquer because it dries fast and does not make the paper wavy. Sounds reasonable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roMJblx9FBM

Lacquer is a paint as far as I know.

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie

I may have to look into that, those might have changed over the years. They were always the "last of the three" when it came to paint matching. Might have been inks at some times, and the quick lacquers in others.

I do know that the chip books and the cards were always painted, though.

Maybe there is a timeline for those as well? 

• 2 weeks later...

After Rob's post, I added to the fan deck section in the summary.

I added the process used to cover pages in books, which are clearcoats over the inks.

(How it's Made doesn't cover "how it used to be made" very often in their episodes)

Edited by Rex
29 minutes ago, Rex said:

After Rob's post, I added to the fan deck section in the summary.

I added the process used to cover pages in books, which are clearcoats over the inks.

Can you tell us where you found this information? A friend found some information in his old FS 595A color book. I don't remember the exact wording, but I don't recall hearing about printing inks and clear coats..

Rob

Fandecks aren't mentioned at all in the original FS 595A (1968), or in the subsequent printings up to FS 595A (1974).

But, when mention finally does show up in the "messed up" 1984 version printed at the same time as the Change Notice 7,,,,,,they are third in line behind the almost 3x5" chips, and the booklets.

(And your Detail & Scale collection really is ink printed on paper, sealed with a clearcoat, satin in the beginning, and glossy later on in the series)

The problem is in the "old FS 595A part", without telling which year of printing, or at least which change notices happened before the booklet is published, there is no way of comparing to prior years.

Edited by Rex
4 minutes ago, Rex said:

Fandecks aren't mentioned at all in the original FS 595A (1968), or in the subsequent printings up to FS 595A (1974).

But, when mention finally does show up in the "messed up" 1984 version printed at the same time as the Change Notice 7,,,,,,they are third in line behind the almost 3x5" chips, and the booklets.

(And your Detail & Scale collection really is ink printed on paper, sealed with a clearcoat, satin in the beginning, and glossy later on in the series)

The problem is in the "old FS 595A part", without telling which year of printing, or at least which change notices happened before the booklet is published, there is no way of comparing to prior years.

Unfortunately I'm even more confused now.. I will try to find the information mentioned by my modeling friend before proceeding.

One question: what has Detail & Scale have to do with it?

Rob

D&S was merely an example of changing clearcoats on an ink printed paper medium. (satin at first, then glossy)

I'm not avoiding your question, Rob,,,,,,,we have been online friends for a while now. I have many notes that should be included in the bibliography portion of that thread, when I get to typing it.

I am just trying to avoid being a "name dropper",,,,,I will include what came from convos over the years about this subject. I really should ask each of them permission before I "name drop" them into the note cards I made after those convos, though. 

But, all my info came from FS books, other books, Mil-specs, or convos in person or online with persons in the know.