Tweaklist to convert F-4E to F-4F Phantom

What a great bit of info in this thread. That's the thing about F-4 Phantoms. So many little changes that it is really good we have people on this board who know what's what. Very thankful for that.

And that pod in the last pic dates that pic to early 80's right? I seem to recall that it got updated with smaller version or just changed out right for that smaller version. I know the A-10 also carried this when they wore the lizard scheme. One of these days I really have to learn the nomenclature for these pods.

Hi Chris. The Phantom model from the last picture depicts a Norm 90 scheme from the GAF. I found it on Hyper Scale. My future project, as written will be a similar scheme. I think the answer was given, mentioning it could be a ALQ-119 ECM Pod. Version is a question not answered yet and also it's purpose. The F-4F Phantom (ICE conversion) is what you see. I've learned a lot after starting this thread, but have no clue on weapons and the warfare systems on such a plane, I'm a dedicated modeller who want to understand the  detail, otherwise it makes no sense to me.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Hello everybody. To continue with the research I see almost every F-4F with a centreline tank. With the information I already 'have' by reading a lot about the subject, question  remains if this is called the 'high speed', plus is it the same ashram the F-15?

Thanks in advance,

Robert Jan 

Hi Robert,

For modeling purposes, yes, the "F-15" tank and the high speed tank are the same. There were internal and mounting point differences, so you couldn't load an F-4 tank on an F-15, but shape-wise, they're the same.

BTW, I stumbled across a walk around of an F-4F over at Prime Portal that might be helpful: F-4F Walk Around  It has some good shots of the ALQ-119-GY as well as the drop tank and other details.

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown

Thanks again Ben. All my goodies are on the way to Thailand, except for the plane itself. Decided to build the cockpit, for example, first. Needs a lot of change(will be a kit in itself). The centreline tanks I got from some sprue sales on eBay, year ago or more. Will check the link, but seems to be known. Thanks again for the research from your side.

The F-4D is coming along very well now. Before the house moving she will be ready for paint. Almost fixed the blending of the intakes, with a lot of corrections, she finally is saved from the bins! Feeling positive and looking forward to the future of building another cockpit from Avionix as well. The ALQ-119 is bizz I saw on a few photos from Combat Aircraft, which is a Dutch site, Decicated F-4 fan from the Netherlands, well known I believe. http://www.f-4.nl/ger.html# loads of nice Phantoms....

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Oh my God. This one is different kind of 'walk around'. Look at this detail.

Hope it is allowed to show, saying this is for study purposes only..

Lots of work to do

f-4f_29_of_59.jpg 

Will keep me awake for some time this link.

Thanks again!

Prime Portal is my go-to web site for walk arounds. Here's their main aircraft page: PRIME PORTAL  I really need to send him a bunch of my walk around photos, since I've burned up so much of his bandwidth downloading great detail photos over the years.

You're tempting me to pull my 1/48 Hasegawa F-4F out of the stash! I just need to figure out how to get the different colors for the Norm 81 camouflage, since I can't easily get Xtracolor paint here in the US. Fortunately, it looks like Humbrol has most of the correct colors right out of the tin. 

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown
8 hours ago, Speedy said:

Hello everybody. To continue with the research I see almost every F-4F with a centreline tank. With the information I already 'have' by reading a lot about the subject, question  remains if this is called the 'high speed', plus is it the same ashram the F-15?

Thanks in advance,

Robert Jan 

Ben already told you about real life differences. It is / was called HPC tank for High Performance Tank. It was rated 6g when full, 6,5 when less than 80%full and aircraft limits when empty. It was a permanent fixture on our F-4s for day to day business .3 Tanks were normally only carried on the QRA birds  during international exercises and if flight time was an issue. 

Cheers

Scout

Hello all

Great threat...

I am a big Phantom fan myself and have several in my stash. One is the Hasegawa F-4F JG-74 Mölders boxing that I want to build just as this. Neuburg is not far away from me, I have been there several times and my parachute club is only 10min away. We have two former Phantom drivers as jump ship pilots in our club!

Since the high speed tank was mentioned, I will obvioulsy need one for this build since it only has the first model one included. What's the best source to get one in 1/48? Do I really have to buy a Revell F-15 just to scrounge for the tank?

thanks

Uwe

Air Doc had a resin one at one time, but it may be out of production. I thought there was another company that also made a resin one in 1/48, but I can't find it.

If you ask on the Buy/Sell forum, there are probably people who built an F-4 or F-15 kit with a spare laying around. The tank was included in several issues of the various Hasegawa F-4 kits and F-15 kits usually include at least 2. You might find someone who didn't use it on their Phantom or only hung one on their F-15.

Ben

2 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

... there are probably people who built an F-4 or F-15 kit with a spare laying around.

Uwe, I can send one -- PM me.

The tank was included in several issues of the various Hasegawa F-4 kits

Ben, do you know off the top of your head which Has kits so I don't have to open too many (I have a pretty good collection :rolleyes:).

Gene K

3 hours ago, Gene K said:

Ben, do you know off the top of your head which Has kits so I don't have to open too many (I have a pretty good collection :rolleyes:).

I'm not Ben, but I know the F-4EJ Kai kits have them, plus a few other kits. Check out this web page under the section for the Hasegawa F-4 kits. Any kit with sprue "R" has the high speed tank.

http://modelingmadness.com/splfeat/kr/has48d.htm

In my stash, the "30th Anniversary" and the "Korean Air Force" F-4E kits have it. One of the F-4G issues might have it, too, although the one I had with the SEA camouflage did not. 

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown
I didn't read Mstor's post closely enough!
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all. I received the Avionix Cockpit set for F-4E. This one probably came from another planet, what a beautiful piece of Art, comparing to my purchased F-4C/D version, which was a drama. Now I can start with a study on what has to be corrected / removed / added. From the photos / drawings that I got after some it is still not all clear. 

This is what I'm looking at, the Radar Scope in particular. Looks like a panel with screen this way, no console anymore?

f-4f_rear_panel.jpg

But when I compare this to a photo from a real cockpit I see a somewhat changed Radar Scope, but it's a console, like in the front. 

For sure there were updates over the years. I want to build an ICE version, so instruments might have been updated too. The window to scratch building is open.  Therefor I am planning to purchase the NICE Airscale sets AS32HAC / DAN / MOD to get this right. Anyone experience with these bezels and decals? 

So my lunch break is over, back to business. 

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Hi Robert,

I'm not sure I follow your question. Are you asking if the radar scope should be in the same plane as the rest of the instrument panel? It is presented that way in the flight manual for clarity, but it was actually at an angle, so it faced the WSO. Here is a shot of an F-4C, but the way the radar display was mounted was the same: LINK   The rudder adjustment panel below it (34) was set back a few inches. You can barely see the top of it in the photo.

I don't have any experience with Airscale's products, but I would be interested to see some reviews. I have somehow managed to misplace my collection of Waldron and Reheat bezels and instruments! :crying::doh:

Cheers!

Ben

Hi Ben.That is what I was aiming at. Because, from a photo I've seen the tube is there but has an octo / 8 side shape. Going digital late Eighties this would probably be the shape.

I'm not sure, but maybe contact a German member could / will bring some light in this case. About the Airscale sets, I've been reading about them on Aeroscale, while ago. Very positive comments and looks the part. Will post them in the  thread when I start with the F-4F build.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan 

Perhaps ARC member Scout can help. I seem to recall that he flew F-4Fs, or at the very least, was very familiar with them. 

I look forward to hearing what you think about the Airscale products!

Cheers!

Ben

Hello. I found a drawing of a launcher for the F-15.

Can I assume this would be a build-in launcher for the AMRAAM 120?  (or something like this was installed in de back launchers of the F-4F). 

ejector_launcher_components.jpg.7225c8c543cfab0b173d690a60cf8eb8.jpg

If so, does anyone have a more detailed picture, most likely from an F-15, model or the real thing, so I can replicate this.

If not, what is the accurate launcher?

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

• 1 year later...
On 4/7/2018 at 10:07 AM, Ben Brown said:

The bays are still there, he's just referring to the slots where the missile's forward fins stick up into the fuselage. On other F-4s, there are spring-loaded panels that close the opening, but on the F-4F, they put a cover over the forward slots. I just learned this myself a week or two ago, courtesy of the folks on this forum. If you look at the aft missile bays in the photo, you can see the slots about even with the trailing edges of the speed brakes. In the forward bays, the slots would normally be seen just about even with the leading edge of the intake duct. Hopefully, I'm not confusing the issue, which I have been known to do on occasion.

Ben

Forward missile bays are hydraulically operated and electrically controlled  on USAF birds 

The pistons that ejected the missile were hydraulic, correct? I thought the little flappy doors that sealed the missile fin slots had springs to close them when there was no missile loaded? They seemed to be spring-loaded when I poked them on an F-4E gate guard.

Ben