1/48 Lunar Rover from Shapeways

I want to build up a few more of my Lunar Modules in 1/48 for next year's 50th anniversary of the 1st Lunar Landing by the USA.

And seeing that Vincent Meens has a 1/48 Rover available, decided to build one up. Plus, seeing all the 3D products, the various materials used and the accuracy and details of the prints, bought one of 'em.

Now, my very first model that I built when I got into this hobby 10 years ago was a 1/48 Rover ... and it was built from scratch. More of a trial by ordeal but ... 100% fun! The research and then trying to replicate something using bits of styrene, wire, wood and other materials was a hoot!

Here's what I got from Shapeways ... 32 parts in 23 separate bags

2v2J6nBnNxAnAAS.jpg

There are no build instructions and lots of little parts, but I used my own research and this printout from the site as a guide.

2v2J6nByqxAnAAS.jpg

2v2J6nBryxAnAAS.jpg

I put 'em all in my Ultrasound tub with a drop of dishwashing liquid for a total of 24 minutes.

2v2J6nBzjxAnAAS.jpg

The detail that is reproduced, at this scale, is unbelievable

2v2J6rPyWxAnAAS.jpg

My scratch build and the new part. I'm pleased that they scale out pretty well. I always wondered how close I got.

2v2J6rPNnxAnAAS.jpg

2v2J6rPrqxAnAAS.jpg

2v2J6rPjFxAnAAS.jpg

Now, to attach all these FUD parts, I'm gonna try CA glue. I hope I got all the wax of of 'em.

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

Wow, this looks like a fun build. Vincent does some amazing work! I wish I had the time and resources to do more 3d modeling but once I'm done at work doing modeling it's hard to want to get in the zone of doing any of it at home. One day I'll get it going again though. 

Can't wait to see this all come together!

Bill

The Wheels, Manfred, are Metallic Plastic ... here's the link to the Shapeways page. A few other tiny parts are WSF.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/spacemodels?section=1%2F48+Lunar+Rover&s=0

And Captain, Thanx!

The surface is quite rough ... but because it's replicating a coarse mesh on the real thing, I'm not concerned.

2v2JtoofyxAnAAS.jpg

The tread pattern detail is excellent

2v2JtooBNxAnAAS.jpg

I had to clean up the hole and the fit is perfect!

2v2J6rPFLxAnAAS.jpg

And the first coat ... with Flat White and Aluminum enamel

2v2JtoowdxAnAAS.jpg

Vincent, if you're watching, this is the horn for the Hi Gain antenna and I assume you've attached the horizontal piece for handling convenience and it should be removed ... am I correct?

2v2JtoocFxAnAAS.jpg

Thanx for looking in gents

Pete

The paint is a thinned coat, that I brushed on, so I can see if it adheres and if I had removed all the wax.

So far, the paint went on well and looks good.

I'll put on one more good coat, with a paint brush ...

Pete

20 hours ago, K2Pete said:
20 hours ago, K2Pete said:

Vincent, if you're watching, this is the horn for the Hi Gain antenna and I assume you've attached the horizontal piece for handling convenience and it should be removed ... am I correct?

2v2JtoocFxAnAAS.jpg

Yes this correct, the horizontal part needs to be removed. It was added because any printed part must at least have two axes ≥ 2.49 mm which was not the case here at 1/48. I can't wait to see your rover complete.

Brush Painted Manfred. This is so tiny that masking and airbrushing would be a waste of time.

Thanx Vincent!

For the Hi Gain Dish, I used a blister pack and roughly cut out a disk.

2v2JtZHjhxAnAAS.jpg

Drilling a locator hole is delicate work ...

2v2JtZH8CxAnAAS.jpg

Somehow I lost a part. I don't have a carpet under my workbench, so no Carpet Monster ... the part just evaporated ...  :rolleyes:

So I made a new part from Aluminum tube and glued in the Shapeways part. 

I have to say, CA glue takes more than just a few seconds to work. I've had to hold parts together for close to 30 seconds before I let go. And even then I let go cautiously.

2v2JtZHMLxAnAAS.jpg

While drilling a small locator hole in the Lo-Gain antenna, it shattered ... so I had to make a new one.

2v2JtZaQFxAnAAS.jpg

Starting to Paint and assemble

2v2JtZHzgxAnAAS.jpg

There are 3 "rock' bags in the kit. I thought they were all the same, but this one, with the 2 pegs, goes on the back of the Equipment Pallet ... not here on the gate.

But I just trimmed off a peg and CA glued it on ...

2v2JtZa2GxAnAAS.jpg

The CA glue worked nicely on this Dish support and the Clear plastic Blister pack piece.

2v2JtZaenxAnAAS.jpg

Assembling the Lo Gain antenna onto the console ...

2v2JtZaJLxAnAAS.jpg

Gluing the wheels on. The Metallic plastic really absorbs the CA glue, but it does make a nice strong bond.

The TV camera is on the lower right.

2v2JtZaaGxAnAAS.jpg

Using thin copper wire for the cabling.

2v2JtZaEgxAnAAS.jpg

And attach the Hi Gain Antenna Dish

2v2JtZaZqxAnAAS.jpg

Almost done. About 96.5% done ... 

2v2JtZauCxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JtZa9dxAnAAS.jpg

I have to rebuild a piece on the rear equipment pallet, maybe add some straps and seat belts and do some paint touch ups ... and it'll be done.

Plus a few decals. I'll have to make my own.

Pete

On 4/9/2018 at 5:37 AM, K2Pete said:

Almost done. About 96.5% done ... 

Amazing progress. 

And don’t sell your self short.  That’s easily 96.7% done.....  :thumbsup:

Thanx gents!

I made a couple of US flag decals and applied 'em, so it's now done. A nice ... quick build.

Just a comparison ...my scratchbuild effort compared to the way-y-y more accurate 3D version. I also have the EVA models 1/35 scale version too ...

2v2JtngbyxAnAAS.jpg

The EVA models 1/32 version

2v2J7rroTxAnAAS.jpg

I did make a couple of assembly errors ... the fenders have a bit of an extended skirt, which I thought was the 'map repair' to the Apollo 17 Rover, but they were, in fact the front fenders ... so the 2 rear fenders should be on the front wheels.

One other thing ... Vincent had 'cast' the brush on the front of the LRV. I clipped it off after referring to a photo, which was incorrect. I shoulda left the brush where it was.  :doh:

I did add the seat belts ( hung on the centre console ) and some straps on the rear equipment area and I rebuilt the antenna on the aft pallet. I may just rebuild it again and do a better job with some stretched sprue.

2v2JtngeqxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JtngQdxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JtngZFxAnAAS.jpg

... and a couple pix of it in a diorama setting ...

2v2JtnganxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JtngHGxAnAAS.jpg

Thanx guys!

Pete

Edited by K2Pete
added an image

Thanx CJ!

This diorama included my original, scratch built, Rover and this LM is Apollo 15's ... these 2 models, the LM and the LRV were my very 1st models built 10 or 11 years ago.

This diorama won a 3rd place at the IPMS NATS in 2009 ... IIRC.

This still holds a soft spot in my heart ... just like our first love!  :rolleyes:   :woot.gif:

Pete

On 4/13/2018 at 10:51 AM, niart17 said:

Great job! Beautiful dio also. Looks just like the real set piece they used to film it....I'm kidding I'm kidding...It was in the desert really. :whistle:

Oh no-o-o you dint ... you din't really say THAT did you ??? ............ you Shuttle guys ... sheesh! :bandhead2:  :doh:

Thanx Ret! I remember going all over town looking for a LIFE magazine with the Apollo 15 pix in it, I had to walk back then, and when I finally found one, was so-o-o disappointed that it was only a short 2 or 4 page spread ... man ... but, I still have it!  :thumbsup:

I'm gonna try to get to TorCan next month ... I'm gonna bring a bunch of my Apollo models. There's a NASA Theme Award this year. I missed Guelph and HeritageCon due to some minor health issues and really hope I can get up there to TorCan!!!

Thanx Captain!

Pete

Wow Pete I don't remember seeing this thread, that is a very nice 1/48 LR. I recall your great scratch built one and thought about making one myself. Since Shapeways make them now, and not bad prices. I was looking at there 1/24 scale rover though. If it looks and goes together as well as this one, I'm going to take the plunge.

great work Pete