Volcanic Aggressor

Here's an aggressor scheme you don't see every day. Psychedelic man ;-) I guess its called the Volcanic Aggressor.

29510917_10213033698731727_678837297872896000_o

Edited by Mstor

I actually think that I have enough Japanese aggressor decals to do this one. Just a matter of trying match the bright red and the weird maroon colors. For those who are interested, there are more pics posted on the USAF, USMC & USN Aggressor / Adversary Aircraft group on Facebook. That group is a wealth of info and pics of US aggressor/adversary aircraft.

Wow that is far out man!!!

The JASDF sure don't shy away from wild schemes. Did you also notice that they continue to mask around the stencils so that just makes it more difficult for us modellers.

I would think this will be in an upcoming Hasegawa F-15 release. Same kit, new decals and call it new.

Actually, as far as decals are concerned, it looks like all one would need are the aircraft numbers and the unit badge on the tails. I have Two Bobs' old sheet with badges and numbers. DXM makes a sheet with numbers for Japanese aggressor F-15s. Many of the Hasegawa F-15 aggressor kits would have that unit badge too. The Two Bobs aggressor sheet had stencils already surrounded by a grey backing color, so no masking, though would still have to mask the various panels that are masked too.

• 3 weeks later...

Jim at Advanced Modeling Products has just completed a mask set for this scheme. Quite complex and will involve some challenges to get it to look right, but a great start. Here's a link if interested:

http://www.advmodprds.com/am48-257.html

I am in no way connected with AMP, just a satisfied customer. I did ask Jim if he would make the set for this aircraft though.

I have found some more photos of this aircraft in my searches and have found one that is very interesting. Shown below, note the color of the bare metal section on the bottom of this aircraft. It is a very dark color, almost as if it has been blued. I found a couple more photos showing this color, but the rest show the normal silverish color. Has anyone seen this before? It is certainly new to me.

5I4n0y3631uW

Nobody has any comments on the color of the bare metal section of this F-15? I am really interesting to know what this is. Is it just heat discoloration? Looks kind of extreme for that.

34 minutes ago, Waco said:

Looks normal to me.

Really? This is what I am used to seeing in that area of F-15s...

XG21la9bUoZJ

I think this one is significantly different.

5 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

exposure differences. Pretty sure they're the same color.

OK... I don't know enough about photography, especially digital photography, to argue with that conclusion. I guess there's also the possibility that some color adjustment was done to the photo, so I just don't know. I just found the photo strange and, actually, attractive, with the darker color bare metal. Thanks for the input.

Edited by Mstor

from that photo, it looks more like the usual thing...

960x960.jpg

960x960.jpg

and that photo was taken before the paint job (but retain the same fuel tanks) shows the "light" color of the engine area.

960x960.jpg

the photos come from "flyteam.jp" and they have a few photos of 32-8082 airframe.

Edited by mingwin
6 hours ago, mingwin said:

from that photo, it looks more like the usual thing...

Yes, I stated in my original post about this that I had other photos that showed the same aircraft with the more normal Silver/Aluminum looking color. I have the same pics from flyteam.jp. I am still confused by the very dark color. Seems weird that it could be some sort of "exposure difference". I would think we would see more pics like the first of other aircraft with this area very dark if that were so. I also cannot see why anyone would photoshop it to look like this. That just doesn't make sense.

Oh well, I guess I am not going to find an answer that satisfies my skeptical nature. Unless anyone has some real evidence of why this occurred, I declare this line of questioning over :deadhorse1:

It's the aliens.  After the jet flies through the aliens' provided chemtrails used to mind control the population (and convince them to ignore the lizard people colony under New York City), it tends to discolor the outer surface of the exposed metal panels near the exhausts.  Fortunately, a quick scrub off through the wash rack clears up the whole problem.  Just don't tell anybody this.....OPSEC and all.

50 minutes ago, Waco said:

It's the aliens.  After the jet flies through the aliens' provided chemtrails used to mind control the population (and convince them to ignore the lizard people colony under New York City), it tends to discolor the outer surface of the exposed metal panels near the exhausts.  Fortunately, a quick scrub off through the wash rack clears up the whole problem.  Just don't tell anybody this.....OPSEC and all.

Finally, someone comes up with a reasonable explanation. 

Thanks, you have reaffirmed my belief that scale modelers are all completely insane. Trust me, I know.

YEah I would hve to agree that the dark colour is a result of the angle that the photo was taken. To be that different would mean even more heat than normal in that area and then it would have spread if it was that intense. Just my 0.1 cents worth of speculation :rolleyes:

Also, looking at the drop tanks it is nice that they are not handed. Although to be honest that whole scheme looks to be a maskers nightmare.

12 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

YEah I would hve to agree that the dark colour is a result of the angle that the photo was taken. To be that different would mean even more heat than normal in that area and then it would have spread if it was that intense. Just my 0.1 cents worth of speculation :rolleyes:

Also, looking at the drop tanks it is nice that they are not handed. Although to be honest that whole scheme looks to be a maskers nightmare.

Here's another photo from a different angle. Area's still dark but not as much.

Here's a link to another photo showing an aggressor banking away and the color of the rear bare metal is almost as dark as the first one.

https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/640856/72-8090-japan-air-self-defence-force-mitsubishi-f-15dj/

So, it looks like there may be actual darkening of the area, but that the pic angle is exaggerating it.

20 hours ago, habu2 said:

They used to say “a picture never lies”. That was before digital cameras and heavy-handed post processing....

:ditto: All pics in this day and age are manipulated. I wouldn't put much stock in the last 20 years of photography being in on re-touched condition.