Custom P-51 decals? Available? How to make?

I am planning to build a P-51D modeled after Stephen C Ananian's from the 505FS, 339FG, 8AF USAAF. His plane was named Baby Mine. I can't find any decals for that aircraft. Obviously there were thousands of P-51s built so I didn't expect to find any decals for it. Any suggestions on what to do? Is there a way to make them myself? I suppose it's better to just switch to a plane for which there are decals. Just curious if there are ways around this. Thanks!

7 hours ago, Jimd0586 said:

I am planning to build a P-51D modeled after Stephen C Ananian's from the 505FS, 339FG, 8AF USAAF. His plane was named Baby Mine. I can't find any decals for that aircraft. Obviously there were thousands of P-51s built so I didn't expect to find any decals for it. Any suggestions on what to do? Is there a way to make them myself? I suppose it's better to just switch to a plane for which there are decals. Just curious if there are ways around this. Thanks!

There is hardly anything special on this aircraft, markings-wise. Find a source for the checkered area near the nose, and the rest is a 10-minute design exercise. You just need to find someone to print it on decal paper.

34 minutes ago, KursadA said:

There is hardly anything special on this aircraft, markings-wise. Find a source for the checkered area near the nose, and the rest is a 10-minute design exercise. You just need to find someone to print it on decal paper.

I agree it can certainly be done, but the red "Baby Mine" is probably going to take a bit more than 10 minutes to do properly. Nevertheless, it can probably be successfully inkjet printed on clear paper since it's going down on NMF.

I was off by 4 minutes - took me 14 minutes after I fired up the trusty ol' Cintiq. I would not put it on a commercial decal design without further refinement, but should be good enough for 1/48.  Hope it helps.

babymine04062018_300dpi.png

Edited by KursadA