1/48 Italeri S-2E Tracker VS-30

Fellas,

started on the Italeri/Kinetic S-2 E/F/G Tracker.  I will be doing an S-2G from VS-30.  I will use the Eduard Big Ed set, D-mold Fuselage/Nacelle correction, Steel Beach seats,/engines, props, pylons, tail wheel and finish it off with Fightertown decals for VS-30 MODEX 103.  The wings will be folded as well.  Helps on shelf space!  Anywho on to some pics:

First, the bird I will be doing:

wESWwwMl.jpg

Started on the cockpit by removing the molded on details to make room for the Eduard bits:

DbUyJ6Al.jpg

EpO60otl.jpg

Rypjg3nl.jpg

xPHvpAYl.jpg

After some unsuccessful fitting of the forward fuselage (canopy sat way too high) I had to figure out a way to correct it.  So after getting another fuselage sprue, I cut the 14" extension for the weapon bay from the D-Mold part and added it to the kit fuselage.  I will live with the forward fuselage shape:

w6LDVgUl.jpg

AjTPj16l.jpg

tIkrc2Ol.jpg

abpuleel.jpg

h8JTpdTl.jpg

ouaCJhDl.jpg

After doing that I proceeded to finish up the cockpit with the Eduard stuff.  The E had a standard yoke and control column in the floor, so I robbed a set of control columns form a busted up Airfix BAE hawk, cut off the grip and added the Italeri yokes:

ZrOYwTFl.jpg

AZUonVll.jpg

mOQ0kcXl.jpg

jCxLvZgl.jpg

eI9zjE4l.jpg

Nice!  I think you've bought ever bit of resin and PE out there, should be a good looking bird when you are done.   Didn't know SB did the engines for the S-2.  I used Vector ones for my build.  Pricey and a bit involved but pretty nice details.

Looking forward to more updates.

John

41 minutes ago, titan8251 said:

John,

sorry Quick Boost engines. I have to add the push rods to them and the ignition harness. I am adapting the Quick Boost engines to the D-Mold nacelles. What fun that is !

andy

Ahh...  Good luck with those push rods, that was one of the most tedious parts of my build.   That being said, your engines are going to look so much better than the crappy ones that come in the kit.    Really interested in seeing what those D-Mold nacelles look like.   They were continually out of stock when I was looking to use them, I think they'll really add to your build. 

• 3 months later...

Okay, time to get started on this thing again.  I took a break and built a Tamiya P-47M as to break up the build so I wouldn't get bogged down.  I started scratch building some interior stuff in the back as quite a bit is visible through the windshield and the windows.  I also cut out the overhead hatches in the back and will scratch build some stuff in the back:

ktpaEiYl.jpg

pDGpxihl.jpg

Bulkheads that will help fill in the open areas.  Will add some PE from the spares box to dress it up.

yM4NAJel.jpg

strip plastic to simulate the stringers.

N3cwp1Ql.jpg

Scratch built the floor which will have the operators consoles. 

cyxwxJ3l.jpg

the quilted sound proofing area is foil from a nut can that i embossed over the plastic ribs to simulate stringers in the back. 

ufeF75Nl.jpg

I have cut out the other overhead hatch and will scratch build the hatches.

Edited by titan8251
correction