Gents-

After my wife decided I needed to get back in to building (or dorking as she likes to call it), we went to Hobby Town.  After picking up the Kitty Hawk T-28C, she insisted I buy it.  I have been out of the hobby for more than a year.  We downsized apartments and I got rid of most of my supplies.  Our apartment does a have computer nook, which she has allowed me to set up a new "workshop".  However, I can't airbrush, so most things will be hand painted.  

I decided to do this as a restored Warbird T-28, so I'm not striving for 100% authenticity, this works cause the decals are for Warbirds.

Just a few pics to get started.  Here is the cockpit mostly assembled.  I did use the decals for the instrument panels. They look great, but I wish they would have left them with a clear background, allowing us to match the grey a lot closer.  The seat belts are the kit parts but I used bandage tape for the fabric.  It works pretty well. Sorry for the quality of the pics, they are taken with my phone.  

VrG3y7x.jpg

You'll notice that the front seat has no belts, I am planning on placing a pilot in there.

RBGthgm.jpg?1

Looking good :thumbsup:

I have their T-28B kit that looks really good in the box.  Watched a couple of build threads over at LSP and the end result was pretty awesome.  Sure want to get to my kit some day!

-Derek

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A few updates, progress is slow.  

Then engine looks good once it's painted and assembled. 

z8FQOxIl.jpg

Finished up the accessory section.  Added some wiring and hoses to make it look "busier" 

JBrdSMXl.jpg

RVH6T7Xl.jpg

1EgwRVil.jpg

thanks for looking 

Go Cubs!

Nice start it builds into a nice kit and do read the instructions carefully

A word of warning, when I built mine the weight supplied in the kit was not enough and became a tail sitter when finished, the model is now sitting

on a fuel drum looks alright

Greg

21 hours ago, titan8251 said:

Engine looks good man!  Very nice and dirty.  Gonna look good when it's all done!

Andy

-Thanks Andy

20 hours ago, AlienFrogModeller said:

WOWsers, I love it when the better half gives direction on "dorking"...she's a keeper!!

PS, the build is very well done as well!

Thanks Bud, yeah that's why I married her 😃

15 hours ago, Greg Long said:

Nice start it builds into a nice kit and do read the instructions carefully

A word of warning, when I built mine the weight supplied in the kit was not enough and became a tail sitter when finished, the model is now sitting

on a fuel drum looks alright

Greg

Thanks Greg, I had heard that too.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Welcome back. 

the engine & pit really came out quite nice. But I do have to admit that when I heard no air brushing,  I was somewhat concerned. But the rattle can spray painting came out looking perfect. Looking forward to your next update.

Joel

On 8/10/2018 at 3:46 PM, Joel_W said:

Welcome back. 

the engine & pit really came out quite nice. But I do have to admit that when I heard no air brushing,  I was somewhat concerned. But the rattle can spray painting came out looking perfect. Looking forward to your next update.

Joel

Thanks Joel.  Yeah after a base coat of Tamiya Primer, I used Tamiya Chrome Yellow Spray and it actually worked pretty good.  

I got the pilot put in.  He is put together from the Academy F-18 pilot. I tried to remove most of his survival gear and such to make him look more civilian.  

1t9LcXU.jpg

Also got the black panels painted along the sides.  Not happy with them. I wish Kitty Hawk would have supplied decals or a mask for them.  Still have a bunch of touchup to do.  Also got the landing gear installed.  It appears I didn't add enough weight :( 

lyEzNlj.jpg