So, this morning the bombshell dropped that many were hoping for yet doubted would happen.  

Marcus Nicholls, the editor of Tamiya Model Magazine announced that a 1/48 Tamiya F-14D would debut next month at the Shizouka Hobby Show (May 10th through the 13th). 

In 2016 Tamiya announced and revealed the F-14A at the same show. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tamiyamodelmagazine/permalink/10155901727729821/

Now we can speculate about kit options! 

Personally I suspect it may be a F-14B/D kit to combine two models into one box and call it good, maybe with a "Late A" third boxing following up later on. 

Edited by Jonathan_Lotton
1 minute ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

With the F-14D being announced in May, it's likely the F-14D will show up by September-October

For all we know, it could happen sooner. How awesome would a summer release be? (and how fatal for AMK's Tomcat)

I'll be buying the Tamiya F-14D. I'd really like a "bombcat" option!!! Please!!!!!

I'll also be buying the AMK F-14 if it's as good as their MiG-31. It's irrelevant to me if the Tamiya kit comes out first, I'll still be buying the AMK one. Hopefully, AMK will not "rush" their kit to market before it's ready. I can wait if it's a good one. 

Both for me, please.

I have a few aspirational F-14 projects that will need fully-featured wings, and AMK’s look gooooood. Spoilers up, baby! Did someone say “asymmetric sweep test”?

I also have a bunch of other F-14s I want to depict, and to do a large number of Cats, I will appreciate the Tamiya fit, finish and detail. Whatever the upcoming Tamiya kit is, I will finally have my VF-143 F-14B done the way I want it.

This is good news and strange at the same time. I remember when they released their state of the art F-16C and we did not see variants for a bit. No family model yet either.

Also, I have to wonder if there is any change to the wing to see flaps deployed. Would be nice eh!!

1 hour ago, Vaildog said:

I feel bad for AMK, I don't know they couldn't light a fire under that project and get it to market. Glad I didn't preorder. 

I believe the expression is 'The final nail in the (AMK F-14) coffin'

37 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

Nice that they're throwing the bullwinkle pod in there.... tell 'em to toss the expanded chaff adapter in there to go with It! :D

The early impression the BOL rail will be included, but this information is tentative until the Shizuoka Hobby Show and release.

Awesome news though :thumbsup:! Being Tamiya these will no doubt sell like crazy, especially to those who aren't necessarily huge F-14 fans but just want to add a late model F-14 to their collection. And they'll probably be in our hands within a few months...or maybe even less.

Thank you Tamiya!!!

Well held off on the original boxing but if this one does end up being a F-14B(A+)/D combo I'll be up for atleast acouple.

Been wanting to build a Desert Storm VF-74/103 A+ Combo using the Fightertown/Afterburner sheets in my stash for ages...maybe that time is finally here.