Yes that "Summer 2018" makes me think that we will have this kit on our benches sooner then we thought :thumbsup:. Soon is a good thing too. Of course the way the weather has been around my neck of the woods its doubtful we'll be getting a summer LOL!

3 hours ago, galileo1 said:

Were there any D models based out of Atsugi?  The Black Knights were all As I believe...

No

The only Delta squadrons I can remember were VF-2, VF-11 (they went from A's to D's then to B's), VF-31, VF-101 and VF-213, along with VX-23 and VX-9.

40 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

No

The only Delta squadrons I can remember were VF-2, VF-11 (they went from A's to D's then to B's), VF-31, VF-101 and VF-213, along with VX-23 and VX-9.

VX-30 also operated D's along with B's and A's. 

There are rumors that VF-51 and VF-111 both received some F-14D's before being decommissioned but I've never seen proof of it. 

1 hour ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

There are rumors that VF-51 and VF-111 both received some F-14D's before being decommissioned but I've never seen proof of it. 

I've heard those rumors as well. It was said there was even a jet painted up. Now that would be something to see!

1 hour ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

Only on paper (well, 111 anyway...) and that was before the decision was made to pare down the Tomcat fleet by half.

3 hours ago, GW8345 said:

No

How is it that most people forget there was once a West Coast RAG?  VF-124 got the first Deltas.  Oddly, when VF-124 went away and VF-101 became the "only" F-14 RAG, plenty of -124s jets got repainted in -101 Det Miramar markings and stayed at Miramar.

17 minutes ago, John B said:

How is it that most people forget there was once a West Coast RAG?  VF-124 got the first Deltas.  Oddly, when VF-124 went away and VF-101 became the "only" F-14 RAG, plenty of -124s jets got repainted in -101 Det Miramar markings and stayed at Miramar.

Revell released the 1/48 F-14D with the VF-124 decals.

s-l1000.jpg

I was just getting ready to buy the parts to convert one of their F-14As to a D. I LOVE the Tamiya Tomcat. It's everything I've wanted in an F-14. I've built 3 already. I have about 10 Ds I want to build. I'm stoked for this release. I guess I'll rethink this conversion.

4 hours ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

Yep, forgot about VX-30, like I said, I was going by memory.:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, John B said:

Oh I remember -124, just thought they shut down before getting any Delta's but know that you mention it, I was at NAMTRA Oceana when they shut down and took over all of the Delta training.:thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Don said:

Yes that "Summer 2018" makes me think that we will have this kit on our benches sooner then we thought :thumbsup:. Soon is a good thing too. Of course the way the weather has been around my neck of the woods its doubtful we'll be getting a summer LOL!

That’s early summer in Japan, the rest of us should see it anyday now, especially us Canadians! 🤪

I happened to do a base visit to Miramar right after the first D showed up in 1989/90 at VF-124 They didn't have IRST for the jets at that point so the nose had the cement ballast. Was cool to see a breaks new jet with a brand new paint job. And yes, there are pictures... will have to find them one of these days. 

There was an original plan for VF-111/51 to get Deltas. It was canceled well before there were any jets and no jets were ever painted that way. That there was a temp or factory painted jet in VF-111 colors was a myth. At one point in 88/89, VF-1 was scheduled to get the D. That would've been cool!

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals
6 hours ago, zerosystem said:

phrasing?

Psyched for a Tamiya F-14D though

Sheer, unadulterated, ridiculous emotional typing nonsense on my part.  But yes, I’m psyched for the Tamiya F-14D.   👍🏻  

Hopefully it made you chuckle.  

Edited by Falconxlvi
21 hours ago, Swordsman422 said:

I was just getting ready to buy the parts to convert one of their F-14As to a D. I LOVE the Tamiya Tomcat. It's everything I've wanted in an F-14. I've built 3 already. I have about 10 Ds I want to build. I'm stoked for this release. I guess I'll rethink this conversion.

I'd rethink getting the conversion, and I'm the guy who makes it! The Tamiya kit will be much easier. I'm curious how the Tamiya parts will differ from mine.

1 hour ago, Swordsman422 said:

I wonder if they'll just take the A boxing and toss a big new sprue or two in there like they did when "updating" the 1/32 kit. Better keep making those vinyl tail stiffeners, Darren.

I believe that they will have updated tails. That's what George said. What they may not have that I'll have in vinyl is the RIO's boarding step brace. That would require a retool of the fuselage piece, which I doubt they did.

1 minute ago, Darren Roberts said:

I'd rethink getting the conversion, and I'm the guy who makes it! The Tamiya kit will be much easier. I'm curious how the Tamiya parts will differ from mine.

Wow, nice Darren! Many,  many kudos for being the honest salesman ;-)

2 hours ago, Alternative 4 said:

The question is, do I persevere with the 3 Hasegawa kits I already own or buy into the hype and get the Tamiya kit........

It's not hype, it's Tamiya. You're buying into the best 1/48th scale fast jet model ever tooled, EVER, not an overhyped kit that then under-delivers.