26 minutes ago, Alternative 4 said:

I guess its the cost that makes me question the purchase. Tamiya kits are mighty expensive and I have already invested a lot in F-14's.

Well only you can figure that out

But I've built 1 Haseagwa kit and 1 Tamiya kit and I'll never build another Hasegawa kit... 

As for the cost, Hasegawa kits aren't cheap (new) these days... but obviously if you already own them that's not an issue. For me I'd ditch them and buy Tamiyas.. It's a joy to build. I can't say that about Hasegawas kit.

7 hours ago, Alternative 4 said:

The question is, do I persevere with the 3 Hasegawa kits I already own or buy into the hype and get the Tamiya kit........

The hype is there for a reason...it's all true. Now, is the Tamiya kit perfect? No kit is. But the negatives of the Tamiya kit are so small they are essentially inconsequential. For me, the downside of the Tamiya kit is the instrument panels, wheel bays, and vents on the underside of the fuselage. The rest is pure bliss.

57 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

The hype is there for a reason...it's all true. Now, is the Tamiya kit perfect? No kit is. But the negatives of the Tamiya kit are so small they are essentially inconsequential. For me, the downside of the Tamiya kit is the instrument panels, wheel bays, and vents on the underside of the fuselage. The rest is pure bliss.

You're right...some very small and fixable lacks of details but a 100% correct shape and a shake and bake fit. Even the kit decals are top notch... :-) The price is really the only hold back from hording them ;-)

cheers

Uwe

8 hours ago, Alternative 4 said:

The question is, do I persevere with the 3 Hasegawa kits I already own or buy into the hype and get the Tamiya kit........

Sure hang on to them but also treat yourself to a Tamiya F-14....It's a Fantastic kit!!!!! 

I build more armor then aircraft but I will say that the Tamiya F-14A kit was nothing but fun and enjoyment to build from start to finish. Like their armor kits everything fit without any issues (no filler required whatsoever). If you want a hassle free, simple, and enjoyable F-14 to build then GET a Tamiya Tomcat (A or D). You won't regret it/them! :thumbsup:

New Tamiya Tomcats are pretty much the same or cheaper than new Hasegawa Tomcats if you buy online. $70-80 for Tamiya. $60-$90 for Hasegawa. While I've invested a lot into the Hasegawa collection and a ton of AM for them, I won't build another Hasegawa. I'm dumping everything for the Tamiya (and upcoming AMK). I'll keep some AM that works and sell off the rest. Makes a full package deal for someone looking for a good deal ;) 

the very minor gripes I have with the Tamiya kit are the weak flare/chaff buckets, what Darren said, and the front landing gear doors. They made the front door angled too much. It should be pretty much a 90' angle and the have it an exaggerated angled forward. I'd like to see a 'standard F-14A' AM upgrade set that has NACA vents, TCS, ECM bumps, wheels, tails as 1 package. At the level of Aires/eduard/quickboost. Itmt, I do love Steel Beach set. 

brian 

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals
On 4/9/2018 at 9:57 PM, gtypecanare said:

The early impression the BOL rail will be included, but this information is tentative until the Shizuoka Hobby Show and release.

UPSCALE THESE KITS AFTER ALL ARE RELEASED TO 1/32 PLEASE!!!

2 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

New Tamiya Tomcats are pretty much the same or cheaper than new Hasegawa Tomcats if you buy online. $70-80 for Tamiya. $60-$90 for Hasegawa. While I've invested a lot into the Hasegawa collection and a ton of AM for them, I won't build another Hasegawa. I'm dumping everything for the Tamiya (and upcoming AMK). I'll keep some AM that works and sell off the rest. Makes a full package deal for someone looking for a good deal ;) 

the very minor gripes I have with the Hasegawa kit are the weak flare/chaff buckets, what Darren said, and the front landing gear doors. They made the front door angled too much. It should be pretty much a 90' angle and the have it an exaggerated angled forward. I'd like to see a 'standard F-14A' AM upgrade set that has NACA vents, TCS, ECM bumps, wheels, tails as 1 package. At the level of Aires/eduard/quickboost. Itmt, I do love Steel Beach set. 

brian 

I'll be the first to say I don't come close to Aires and Quickboost quality. I liken myself to being a Honda compared to a Lexus. It still gets you to the same place, just not in as much style. I'm perplexed that Quickboost hasn't combined their sets into one. I was extremely perplexed why they didn't include the ECM bumps in their boat tail piece. it kind of makes it useless unless you have spare Hasegawa parts.

12 minutes ago, anj4de said:

Quickboost now also has the tail with the ECM antenna as a seperate part! The have quite a few Tamiya Tomcat bits...I like the transparent lights a lot!

cheers

Uwe

The problem is that there are ECM bumps under the wing glove that have to go with that tail piece. They didn't include those with the tail piece.

1 hour ago, Darren Roberts said:

I'll be the first to say I don't come close to Aires and Quickboost quality. I liken myself to being a Honda compared to a Lexus. It still gets you to the same place, just not in as much style. I'm perplexed that Quickboost hasn't combined their sets into one. I was extremely perplexed why they didn't include the ECM bumps in their boat tail piece. it kind of makes it useless unless you have spare Hasegawa parts.

Don't sell yourself short Darren, you put out good product and give us fellow modelers options. You also inspire us with your builds.

Quickboost doesn’t always do their homework.

2 hours ago, Scooby said:

Don't sell yourself short Darren, you put out good product and give us fellow modelers options. You also inspire us with your builds.

Thanks! I appreciate that.

6 hours ago, Scooby said:

I seem to recall when Quickboost first started they relied on modellers sending in info on what to be produced by Quickboost. So if the info was wrong I guess the part would be wrong. Not sure if that is the way it is now though.

20 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

I seem to recall when Quickboost first started they relied on modellers sending in info on what to be produced by Quickboost. So if the info was wrong I guess the part would be wrong. Not sure if that is the way it is now though.

I didn’t say they were wrong, they don’t create complete packages.

2 hours ago, gtypecanare said:

22 days until Shizuoka Hobby Show.

It was unbelievable when Tamiya revealed the F-14A, but an F-14D happening only two years later really exceeds that. The A-model was so clearly geared toward follow-on releases, nobody dared to hope for that.

Hey, I just love the F-14. Thanks for keeping the rumors and facts flying, George!

Not even that much of a Tomcat guy,but even I'm looking forward to this.

Hopefully we'll see some new decals,although I struggle to think of anything that's not already been done sized for older kits.

Would love to see some new VF-31 Felix decals circa 1994 when they were on the USS Carl Vinson for no other reason then the only time this Brit ever got up close to a F-14D it was from this time frame.

2 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

7 more days until the NFL Draft!

Packers better get some good guys this year!  

I wonder if if they will scale this down like they did with their F-16 model some time in the future. 

On 4/11/2018 at 11:01 PM, Darren Roberts said:

The D is actually my least favorite Tomcat variant. It has limited markings and just doesn't seem to have the same draw that the A or even B does. Maybe it's because I grew up with the A and it's the A that got me hooked on the Tomcat. 

I agree with that statement Darren.  As far as fleet squadrons go then yes it does have limited marking options.  However, if you explore the markings of the test units ie VX-9, VX-23, VX-31 (all under the NAWC banner), it opens things up a bit for multi coloured panels, assymetric load outs and other weapons not normally carried in the fleet.