2 hours ago, habu2 said:

Well that shouldn’t be too hard to do......  😎

Yea, kinda like rubbing their face in the dirt. Makes me feel sorry for AMK, but they'll sink or swim on their own merits.

Ok..fine! So I'll buy a Tamiya -D in July and the AMK as soon as it becomes available. The question was never which one to get but which one first...:-)

Edited by anj4de
On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:33 AM, anj4de said:

Ok..fine! So I'll buy a Tamiya -D in July and the AMK as soon as it becomes available. The question was never which one to get but which one first...:-)

Spoken like a true Tomcat lover !

12 minutes ago, tosouthern66 said:

I was looking forward to getting the kit but now with Tamiya's pricing decision, I will not be buying any more kits from them. 

I think you'll find most dealers are still able to reduce the cost of Tamiya products by about 20%, which is the standard MSRP deduction. What Tamiya is attempting to do is stop sales of more than that discount by retailers.

Just now, Darren Roberts said:

I think you'll find most dealers are still able to reduce the cost of Tamiya products by about 20%, which is the standard MSRP deduction. What Tamiya is attempting to do is stop sales of more than that discount by retailers.

I am unable to buy kits at that small discount. I have to rely on the big discounts to get kits. Especially now I will have to rely on them. In the past I would buy maybe 1 or two kits at regular price per year. Now I can't even do that. This kills those of us that are on a tight budget.

Tamiya kits have a suggested retail price on the side of their kits.

For the 1/48 F-14A, this price is 7600 Yen. Which currently is $69.82 US or $89.91 Cdn.

I’m fairly confident not many sellers sold for that amount. They sold for much more.

Tamiya should be putting ceilings on what sellers sell their kits at, not a minimum selling price. They have it backwards.

53 minutes ago, Scooby said:

For the 1/48 F-14A, this price is 7600 Yen. Which currently is $69.82 US or $89.91 Cdn.

$69.82 USD? Cheapest I've ever seen it going for was about $70. Who is selling it at 20% discount or about $56 USD? Never seen it that cheap.

24 minutes ago, Mstor said:

$69.82 USD? Cheapest I've ever seen it going for was about $70. Who is selling it at 20% discount or about $56 USD? Never seen it that cheap.

Where did I mention anything about 20% discount?

I’m saying the retailers are selling for much more than the printed suggested retail.

17 hours ago, Scooby said:

I’m saying the retailers are selling for much more than the printed suggested retail.

But isn't that standard in the industry? Asking because I don't live in America.

IMO, unless we do away with tariffs, the costs of shipping, and other fees; retailers would always sell imported products way above the MSRP.

2 hours ago, Scooby said:

Where did I mention anything about 20% discount?

Sorry Scooby. Didn't mean to imply that you said that. Darren did in his post above.

Darren, if I misunderstood what you were saying then apologies to you too, but I took it to mean that dealers were reducing the price up to %20 from MSRP.

Edited by Mstor
57 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Sorry Scooby. Didn't mean to imply that you said that. Darren did in his post above.

Darren, if I misunderstood what you were saying then apologies to you too, but I took it to mean that dealers were reducing the price up to %20 from MSRP.

No worries, I was replying from my phone. So I wasn’t reading the entire thread. I was wondering where the heck did you get that 20% from 😃

1 hour ago, kaz said:

But isn't that standard in the industry? Asking because I don't live in America.

IMO, unless we do away with tariffs, the costs of shipping, and other fees; retailers would always sell imported products way above the MSRP.

I’m in Canada and I enjoy the best prices in Canada. I’m worried this new policy will increase prices for me. If my hobby shop can do cheaper prices, why can’t others? Pretty sure there are no tariffs on hobby items coming into Canada.

10 hours ago, tosouthern66 said:

I am unable to buy kits at that small discount. I have to rely on the big discounts to get kits. Especially now I will have to rely on them. In the past I would buy maybe 1 or two kits at regular price per year. Now I can't even do that. This kills those of us that are on a tight budget.

Instead of laundry detergent you can make your own with borax, baking soda, and dawn dish soap. Easy peasy and super cheap.....savings alone can get you the new Tamiya kit!

Pricing in the marketplace is complex, yet simple at the same time. Let's start with a kit that retails for $100. The distributor imports/buys them for a certain discount, say 60%, so they pay $40 for the kit. The distributor then sells those kits to the individual sellers for a 40% discount off retail. So, the seller pays $60 for the kit. Most sellers won't sell for the full $100 retail price, though, and will discount it about 20%, which drops the $100 cost down to about $80 off of full retail. That gives the seller a 20% profit, or so it would seem. Then there are the hidden costs, such as credit card fees, employees, utilities, rent/mortgage, etc. The credit card fees alone are 2-3%. Now the 20% profit is down to 17%. All of the other items, spread out across all sales, will probably amount to close to 7%. So now the profit for the seller is down to about 10%. That's not a very big margin. As far as the MSRP on the Tamiya Tomcat, I can't speak to what that exactly means. Is that for the Japanese home market? Even Tamiya didn't announce an MSRP that low. The F-14A was announced at $115, so I'm not sure why there would be such a discrepancy between the announced MSRP and what is printed on the box. In the end, what you finally pay depends on how much the importer wants to make. They have quite a bit of influence into what the final cost is. What I'm still trying to figure out is how some sellers are selling kits at 30% or more discounts. They can't be making any profit. Maybe they're hoping that people will buy other items to make up for the loss.

Up in the General Discussion section there is this thread:

Perhaps shifting the Tamiya pricing issue up to that thread would be more appropriate so as to leave this thread to the subject of Tamiya's F-14D? Just a thought.

Regards,

Don