21 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

The D did not have the glove vane at all. The ECM gear (bumps on the A/B) are located internally in the D. B had them puttied over. A's eventually had them locked. 

Brian

Didn't the new-build Bs delete them all together too?

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:46 PM, gtypecanare said:

We got sprue...

See everyone at the San Diego Model Expo this weekend!

There is a little bit of irony to this....

Many, many years ago, we used to have a model meeting at Gillespie Field museum where there is this F-14A parked outside.

9056749829_84a7ec927c_b.jpg

At one of the meetings, one of the museum guys said, "Some folks from Tamiya were out here this week to measure the F-14.   We set up ladders and a maintenance stand for them to take pictures and make measurements."

We modelers all scoffed with remarks like "Yeah, we'll never see that kit produced.", "It will cost over $100!" and "There is already the Hasegawa kit in 1/48, why do I need another one?"

Now, I'm going to the San Diego ModeL Expo Saturday look at sprues for the new Tamiya kit and this jet that was used as a reference will be parked outside -

1376.jpg

(And Fightertown needs to these markings along with VF-211's 1976 markings.   (Shameless plug:rolleyes:)

8249764857_9e24bbd9f7_b.jpg%20

Edited by John B
1 hour ago, Collin said:

Still wondering when Quickboost is doing a NACA vent for the F-14A Tamiya kit. 

Email them and suggest it, there's a link on the Quickboost homepage.

5 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Email them and suggest it, there's a link on the Quickboost homepage.

I think I am on their junk mail list since I have been asking them about it via email requests for months now.

1 hour ago, Darren Roberts said:

I'm curious what the four indentions are in engine area. Those are new to me.

Some type of vent maybe? usually obscured by Fuel tanks here you can clearly see them. 

US_Navy_040925-N-0295M-141_An_F-14D_Tomc

5 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

I'm curious what the four indentions are in engine area. Those are new to me.

Those are recesses for the forward fix cowl mounting bolts, normally (like 99% of the time) the small cover panels would be installed and you won't see the recesses.

1 minute ago, GW8345 said:

Those are recesses for the forward fix cowl mounting bolts, normally (like 99% of the time) the small cover panels would be installed and you won't see the recesses.

Got it! That's why I've never seen them before. 

I have a question about the tails. They seem to be on the original sprue, and it doesn't look like there are any sprue gates to switch out molds. Does this mean the original molds have been altered for the late style tail braces and the early style won't be available except in the first release A kits? It may not be that big of a deal, as most of the Tomcats eventually got those braces. 

7 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

Got it! That's why I've never seen them before. 

The aircraft Tamiya used as a reference must have been missing them, not unusual for a museum/pig on a stick bird to missing panels normally found on the aircraft when it was in service. I recommend filling those if you are doing a fleet bird since they were installed most of the time.

15 hours ago, GW8345 said:

I recommend filling those if you are doing a fleet bird since they were installed most of the time.

I'd hold off on that. Check the A/C you're depicting and build accordingly. Another example, VF-213 this time, and it is like the Tamiya parts.

f14-photo-vf213-45.jpg

16 minutes ago, viper730 said:

I'd hold off on that. Check the A/C you're depicting and build accordingly. Another example, VF-213 this time, and it is like the Tamiya parts.

That is a great study in Tactical Paint Scheme weathering. You can see the three colors clearly on just the nose, and then all of the touch-ups and dirt that can really make things interesting. 

As for the covers, I’ll probably leave the holes as-is when I build my Tamiya Bs and Ds. I won’t care, but I certainly can understand where some modelers would. 

Regardless of the angle or squadron, that is just one sexy plane... Can’t wait to build a B and a D!

4 hours ago, viper730 said:

f14-photo-vf213-45.jpg

Actually, that slot is going the opposite direction of the Tamiya parts. Hmmm.