1 hour ago, andrew.deboer said:

I’m glad those brands are good, but none of them are available at my LHS. My point is that if Tamiya looks at how many shops stock their paint, it might make sense for them to expand the range. 

I agree with you 100%. I use Tamiya paints for everything from my model railroad, to ships, armor, and aircraft because I can find them everywhere at the hobby shops within an easy drive from my house. I'd love it if they expanded their acrylic line.

Regards.

1 hour ago, andrew.deboer said:

I’m glad those brands are good, but none of them are available at my LHS. My point is that if Tamiya looks at how many shops stock their paint, it might make sense for them to expand the range. 

You're lucky.

No LHS here.

And distributors find every excuse possible to not sell alternative brand paints.

"oh lacquer paints, but I can't have them, they're dangerous"  (as if enamel or acrylic paints in spray aren't dangerous), but they sell tamiya XS range.

On 6/21/2018 at 9:51 AM, shion said:

35735954_1749768435105269_54684344080274

So we've got:

LP-34 Light Grey, FS16440

LP-35 Insignia White, FS17875

LP-36 Dark Ghost Grey FS36320

LP-37 Light Ghost Grey FS36375

Gunze Mr Color acrylics are the best colors for painting airplanes. Better than Tamiya. :) Wondering why just lacquer!

With the kit on approach...the question which squadron to do comes up. I do like the kit decals...but would like to have an all black cockpit version! I know only a few had that...but do not know which squdrons/birds. Does anybody know?

thx

Uwe

It's here!!!  Received e-mail about availabilty yesterday at 11:34AM, ordered, got confirmation at 12:19. Today at 12:06 it was at my door! Great service of Modelbau Seidel  http://www.modellbau-seidel.de/index.php?firma=Tamiya&best=61118

Kit is sold out again now...but I have it! That made my week end! 🙂

20180706_121015.jpg

At a very brief inspection I found some more niceties...the so far not too often mentioned 4th version, a VF-11 bird from 1995, has alternative earlier rear cockpit equippment, the older round screen which Tamiya added! Also the decals for the cockpit include switched on and off screens now! A nice touch. One of the versions, VF-2, has the front center Sparrow bay faired over...Tamiya provides the parts here. And the carbon decals for the engine fairings are now a lot less pronounced than in the pics of the show models from Japan. I am sure there is more to detect...like for example the included interieur of the TARPS pod! 🙂

cheers

Uwe

Edited by anj4de

...going through the instructions I find one thing strange! Sprue C is the one with the vertical stabalizers which now have the correct T-shaped re-enforcements. I know it was debated before if Tamiya re-tooled the mold or made a new one. The order number for sprue C in the -D kit (can be bought seperately) is 19006652 which is the same as in the -A kit. So there is no differenciation between the two which leads to the conclusion that they re-worked the molds...which in return means that once the first version stock is used up no new -A kits could be produced! That sounds just not right. I do not know how big Tamiya's stock in -As is but it is hard to believe it will last for 20/30 years. Looking at how long the Monogram version is in circulation it will cause an issue sooner or later. Will the -A become a rare collector's item soon...? 😉

cheers

Uwe

PS: It also rules out the possibility for a very early -A...unless the produce a new tool. 😞

Very cool and nice info Uwe  :thumbsup:! Tamiya is going to sell these kits like crazy. Can't wait for mine.

Regards.

Don

1 hour ago, anj4de said:

...going through the instructions I find one thing strange! Sprue C is the one with the vertical stabalizers which now have the correct T-shaped re-enforcements. I know it was debated before if Tamiya re-tooled the mold or made a new one. The order number for sprue C in the -D kit (can be bought seperately) is 19006652 which is the same as in the -A kit. So there is no differenciation between the two which leads to the conclusion that they re-worked the molds...which in return means that once the first version stock is used up no new -A kits could be produced! That sounds just not right. I do not know how big Tamiya's stock in -As is but it is hard to believe it will last for 20/30 years. Looking at how long the Monogram version is in circulation it will cause an issue sooner or later. Will the -A become a rare collector's item soon...? 😉

cheers

Uwe

PS: It also rules out the possibility for a very early -A...unless the produce a new tool. 😞

Perhaps a typo in the instructions, poor editing from the previous instructions?

I searched but could not find the sprue shots.

- I have the Tamiya F-14A.

- I want to do a late A.

- I got the AM chin pod and the tail braces already.

- I don't have the NACA vents, or the ECM bumps.

Here is my question:

If I get this upcoming Delta, is the sprue layout such that I can clean these pieces and create moulds using the D NACA vents and the ECM bumps, and use those copies on the A? Yes, no, easy, hard?....

Edited by Janissary

Why not just build others in your stash and wait for Tamiya to put out the Late A / B version. Besides, the D model only has the one ECM blister on each glove vane, the A / B has three.

Steve

"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY...!"

3 hours ago, Janissary said:

I searched but could not find the sprue shots.

- I have the Tamiya F-14A.

- I want to do a late A.

- I got the AM chin pod and the tail braces already.

- I don't have the NACA vents, or the ECM bumps.

Here is my question:

If I get this upcoming Delta, is the sprue layout such that I can clean these pieces and create moulds using the D NACA vents and the ECM bumps, and use those copies on the A? Yes, no, easy, hard?....

Steel Beach has the glove vane ECM blisters and Quickboost has the tail ECM blister. You'd need to cross-kit the A cockpit, engine shrouds, and nozzles to the D. You could then get an aftermarket A set and make a B from the D.

3 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Why not just build others in your stash and wait for Tamiya to put out the Late A / B version.

I hear you but I am still waiting on the Tamiya F-16D kit - for over a decade !!!!!

1 hour ago, habu2 said:

I hear you but I am still waiting on the Tamiya F-16D kit - for over a decade !!!!!

I hear you as well but, 16's are not as popular as Tomcats, Tomcat stuff sells, period.

Steve

"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY...!"

On 7/6/2018 at 6:05 PM, Darren Roberts said:

Steel Beach has the glove vane ECM blisters and Quickboost has the tail ECM blister. You'd need to cross-kit the A cockpit, engine shrouds, and nozzles to the D. You could then get an aftermarket A set and make a B from the D.

Thank you Darren. What I meant was I want to copy the NACA vents from the D and use that copy on my A (to make it a late A). My question was whether the NACA from the D fits the space on the A. I think the answer is yes (as I don't think they redid the molds, plus having the vent area separated in A was precisely for that purpose), but just wanted to double check. 

I have the hasegawa kits. I can use the ECM blisters from those (or copy them) for the Tamiya late A. I got your vinyl tail braces, they look nice.

I would keep the D as a D (as I have one squadron in mind I want to build). 

Also, for Darren, on a completely unrelated question: Do you have any recommendations on what brand/type of vinyl to get from Michaels or Joann fabrics etc. that can be used with the Silhouette cutter? You must have some experience with that. Thank you. 

Hello F-14D experts!

I am about to start with the Tamiya -D. I am aiming for the (a) VF-2 bird, CAG or line bird not yet clear. Two questions I have:

1. The Tamiya istruction tell you NOT to use the PTID control stick on the left RIO console for VF-2. Is this correct only for the 2003 CAG bird or for all VF-2 birds at that time frame?

2. Cockpit color...the Coremans bool shows, amongst others, a completely black -D cockpit. Which birds/squadrons did have that, please? I read elsewhere it was done for night ops but do not recall to which birds and when.

thanks

Uwe

15 hours ago, Janissary said:

Also, for Darren, on a completely unrelated question: Do you have any recommendations on what brand/type of vinyl to get from Michaels or Joann fabrics etc. that can be used with the Silhouette cutter? You must have some experience with that. Thank you. 

I actually have a company cut my vinyl. I've been looking into getting a cutter, but I can't even keep up with the resin! Your best bet would be to find a local sign company in your area and see if you could have scraps or purchase some vinyl. It comes in an array of colors and is super thin. I'm not sure local craft stores carry anything as thin as that.

Edited by Darren Roberts
10 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

None of the early D's had LANTIRN capability, so no D's would have the either the PTID or the control stick. For awhile, the D's still had the round fishbowl scope, even with LANTIRN. 

Thanks Darren

But VF-2 eventually got LANTIRN -Ds...do you know when that was?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VFA-2#/media/File:US_Navy_030518-N-0295M-008_An_F-14D_Tomcat_comes_in_for_a_landing_aboard_the_aircraft_carrier_USS_Constellation_(CV-64)_after_completing_Aerial_Combat_Maneuvers_(ACM)_training.jpg