30 minutes ago, Cool Hand said:

Wait, there's an A/B model TCS pod is in the D kit as well?

Oops, my bad. No there's not. So, four things that need to be added for the B. Sorry about that. What's interesting is the set up. It looks like it will be kind of difficult to get a B, much less a late A, out of the way the sprues are set up. If they do, it will have to be in one, big box. That would be kind of cool, though.

55 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

I remember that. They sat on hobby shop shelves and collected dust. No one could believe a kit cost that much. I agree that the $70-100 range is a good value for what you get. BTW, I've been looking at the parts included in the D. All I need to cast is three parts (both IP's and the front coaming), and a B conversion is ready to go. All the other parts are contained in the D kit. I could even get adventurous and cast the associated A engine parts for a late A conversion.  

They sold where I live, the economy was much better then, in fact they couldn’t keep them on the shelves.

They were hard to obtain, especially the F-18D, I remember when the distributor Mikerian Mercantile, found three cases of D models, the owner of the shop I dealt with asked if he should buy them all, I said yes. He sold them all for $100 each (72 kits), he gave me a free kit for my advice.

2 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

I'm curious, when people complain about the price, what do you think it should cost? 

I remember when the Hasegawa 1/48 F/A-18 came out, it was $80 in 1993ish. 

I think the $70-100 range for the Tamiya is a pretty good value. 

I bought the Tamiya F-14As for $75.  Looks like all the Tamiya F-14As are more expensive now...smh

11 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

FYI - LuckyModel has a $2 flat surface shipping special right now. F-14D kit is $76+ $2 shipping. $78 out the door. It's the slow method but great price. 

This. but you just missed the deal. right now you can get it for around 85.00 with the 10%off coupon , LM10 on orders over $60.00. Nice thing is thats with air mail shipping which only takes aboout 2 weeks.

13 hours ago, Scooby said:

They sold where I live, the economy was much better then, in fact they couldn’t keep them on the shelves.

They were hard to obtain, especially the F-18D, I remember when the distributor Mikerian Mercantile, found three cases of D models, the owner of the shop I dealt with asked if he should buy them all, I said yes. He sold them all for $100 each (72 kits), he gave me a free kit for my advice.

Wow! That's incredible. The hobby store I worked for couldn't give them away. Well, maybe they could give them away. 😊

On 7/26/2018 at 5:52 PM, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

FYI - LuckyModel has a $2 flat surface shipping special right now. F-14D kit is $76+ $2 shipping. $78 out the door. It's the slow method but great price. 

When I saw it you had to spend $120 to get the $2 shipping deal. 

In a newsletter I received tonight from Kitlinx.com  they state the F-14D is a Limited release a one time only production ...well here read the exact words "Below is the Tamiya 1/48 F-14D Tomcat. It is a LIMITED release as announced by Tamiya. One-time-deal, and it's gone. We have stocked this kit"...can anyone confirm this. just curious cause I may have to buy a few more NOW If I won't be able to get one for less than your average car payment in say 2 years....

11 hours ago, viper730 said:

In a newsletter I received tonight from Kitlinx.com  they state the F-14D is a Limited release a one time only production ...well here read the exact words "Below is the Tamiya 1/48 F-14D Tomcat. It is a LIMITED release as announced by Tamiya. One-time-deal, and it's gone. We have stocked this kit"...can anyone confirm this. just curious cause I may have to buy a few more NOW If I won't be able to get one for less than your average car payment in say 2 years....

Sounds like bullcrap to get people to buy in a panic..

Internet Hobbies did the same thing with the Tamiya MAP policy...only to mysteriously offer a discount once it's added to the cart...

11 minutes ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

Internet Hobbies did the same thing with the Tamiya MAP policy...only to mysteriously offer a discount once it's added to the cart...

I agree with your sentiments. Regarding MAP, that’s how it works though. The policy only controls what price they advertise. They can sell it for whatever they want though. They just can’t post a rock bottom cheap price for the world to see. 

Edited by ESzczesniak
9 minutes ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

That was my thought as well. I know Tamiya kits go out of production but I have never seen them do a one time run...especially one that will be a big seller. 

3 hours ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

Now that you mention it, Scalehobbyist did the same. The F-14D is listed at $99.20, but when you add it to your cart, the price is $86.99

• 2 weeks later...

I have bought this kit. It looks so awesome, I had to. 

Now I want to know which decal sheet covers the examples with mission markings. 

Im totally unfamiliar with F-14s. Its this hobby and the quality of this kit that forced me to buy it :)

9 hours ago, stalal said:

I have bought this kit. It looks so awesome, I had to. 

Now I want to know which decal sheet covers the examples with mission markings. 

Im totally unfamiliar with F-14s. Its this hobby and the quality of this kit that forced me to buy it 🙂

You will completely and utterly enjoy the build. It's an engineering marvel. Everything you need is in the box. If you have any questions as you build, just ask (I'd start a separate thread, since it might go unnoticed in this one) and you should get an answer. There are quite a few people on this board that are knowledgeable about the F-14. In regards to decal sheets, check for Fightertown and Furball sheets. They are readily available. Twobobs also had a couple of sheets.

1 hour ago, Darren Roberts said:

You will completely and utterly enjoy the build. It's an engineering marvel. Everything you need is in the box. If you have any questions as you build, just ask (I'd start a separate thread, since it might go unnoticed in this one) and you should get an answer. There are quite a few people on this board that are knowledgeable about the F-14. In regards to decal sheets, check for Fightertown and Furball sheets. They are readily available. Twobobs also had a couple of sheets.

Great advice Darren. Thanks. I know its going to be an enjoyable build as has every Tamiya kit been.