40 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

While I realize they will probably release a B, I'll still have a resin set ready to convert the D to a B. That will be a quick, inexpensive set.

I will probably convert a D to a B by combining sprues from the A and D kits. My workshop will just be a Tamiya F-14 boneyard. 

Edited by andrew.deboer
1 hour ago, andrew.deboer said:

I will probably convert a D to a B by combining sprues from the A and D kits. My workshop will just be a Tamiya F-14 boneyard. 

Kind of like how people bought the F-16CJ/Block 50 kit and the Block 25 kit to make a Block 30 small mouth/big mouth....just in time for Tamiya to release the C/N Aggressor kit? lol

2 hours ago, andrew.deboer said:

You'll still need the ECM blisters. If you have a spare Hasegawa kit that you didn't use the parts from, you could use those.

46 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

You'll still need the ECM blisters. If you have a spare Hasegawa kit that you didn't use the parts from, you could use those.

Yep, there will be a number of bits and pieces missing: TCS pod, antennae, maybe the HUD, etc.

Hopefully we will get new pilots. 

16 minutes ago, andrew.deboer said:

Hopefully we will get new pilots. 

Agree! That's one thing I really love about Tamiya is that they provide pilot figures. Probably the armor builder in me coming out...:rolleyes:. Really pumped for another Tamiya Tomcat!

Late A from Tamiya D? Given the sprue breakdown (https://www.scalemodellingnow.com/hnaircraft-tamiya-grumman-f14a-tomcat) will it be possible to make a late A from the D boxing?

- NACA vents will be there in the D boxing.

- There should be updated vertical fins for the L-braces. Either as separate parts or a new pair of fins, correct?

- We will need the 'A' exhausts to be there (sprue K). 

- We will need the 'A' seats (sprue F on the joint E/F sprue).

- 'A' cockpit needs to be there (sprue H). But this sprue also includes the arresting hook and canopy sills, so there is hope?

- Late A TCS pod is an issue still. 

- Say I can scratch the ECM bumps. 

Do you see Tamiya including sprues K, F and H from the A boxing? I don't but just wanted to ask. 

Edited by Janissary
1 hour ago, Janissary said:

Late A from Tamiya D? Given the sprue breakdown (https://www.scalemodellingnow.com/hnaircraft-tamiya-grumman-f14a-tomcat) will it be possible to make a late A from the D boxing?

- NACA vents will be there in the D boxing.

- There should be updated vertical fins for the L-braces. Either as separate parts or a new pair of fins, correct?

- We will need the 'A' exhausts to be there (sprue K). 

- We will need the 'A' seats (sprue F on the joint E/F sprue).

- 'A' cockpit needs to be there (sprue H). But this sprue also includes the arresting hook and canopy sills, so there is hope?

- Late A TCS pod is an issue still. 

- Say I can scratch the ECM bumps. 

Do you see Tamiya including sprues K, F and H from the A boxing? I don't but just wanted to ask. 

I doubt it. The only way you'll get a late A is through a B boxing. If they were smart, they'd provide all the sprues in the D boxing like they did in one of their F-16 boxings that allowed you to build ANY F-16C. It really wouldn't take that many sprues to do.

Here is my observations for the new kit based on the written information we can share that is tentative.

• GE F110 engines and shrouds
  • Updated vertical stabilizers
  • Martin-Baker SJU-17 NACES seats
  • Updated F-14D specific cockpit details and HUD
  • Updated crew figures

1 hour ago, gtypecanare said:

Here is my observations for the new kit based on the written information we can share that is tentative.

• GE F110 engines and shrouds
  • Updated vertical stabilizers
  • Martin-Baker SJU-17 NACES seats
  • Updated F-14D specific cockpit details and HUD
  • Updated crew figures

You’re the man, George. Whatever’s in the box, I’ll take it. Some other necessities:

NACA gun vents

Bomb hard points for the Phoenix pallets

Late main wheels

LANTIRN pod and pylons

D-model double barreled chin pod

Edited by andrew.deboer
3 hours ago, andrew.deboer said:

You’re the man, George. Whatever’s in the box, I’ll take it. Some other necessities:

NACA gun vents

Bomb hard points for the Phoenix pallets

Late main wheels

LANTIRN pod and pylons

D-model double barreled chin pod

Those will be included of course.

This really is awesome news! I personally would expect Tamiya to do the D, wait some time and put out a B and then a late A. What I think the most sense for modelers wanting all the versions is a Late A/B kit. The only difference in this is the GE vs PW engines and the pilot coaming/HUD on the B. Everything else about the Late A/B is the same. A B/D kit really doesn't make sense as the entire cockpit, seats, coamings, nose pod, and part of the ECM suite is different. And I don't see a business benefit for Tamiya to release a 2 for 1 type kit. It would cut any future type sales. Maybe down the line. but I would expect separate type boxings from them. Just my thoughts.

I'm thrilled that Tamiya is expanding the Tomcat line. Figured that it was coming. And when I bought all the AM stuff to bring the A up to standard and Late A specs, figured that it was going to be done for me by Tamiya at some point.

Tamiya - Here's what I'm looking for in the D. (And George's post addresses most of it, so I'll just add on my thoughts).

1. (pretty sure this is the case) Please make the vertical tails a new piece. And include the RWR bump on the top aft of the right tail below the light.

2. Please include both standard Pre-2004 wheels and the late post-2004 wheels.

3. For the cockpit, please do accurate D side panels. None of the A side consoles are the same. Hasegawa did manage to get that correct. It would also be cool if the tub had the circuit breakers by the RIO's knees for the D...

4. Please make the new pilot and RIO coamings. All kits have re-purposed the A coaming and it's not the same. Aires did a great job of it in their cockpit.

5. Please make the front faces of the GE engine and not re-purpose the PW pieces from the kit.

6. It would be really cool to have closed GE exhausts included...

19 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

Now that the Tamiya Tomcat is out all of my Hasegawa kits are spare kits. 

Oh boy, my wallet is going to take a big hit! 

10 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

This really is awesome news! I personally would expect Tamiya to do the D, wait some time and put out a B and then a late A. What I think the most sense for modelers wanting all the versions is a Late A/B kit. The only difference in this is the GE vs PW engines and the pilot coaming/HUD on the B. Everything else about the Late A/B is the same. A B/D kit really doesn't make sense as the entire cockpit, seats, coamings, nose pod, and part of the ECM suite is different. And I don't see a business benefit for Tamiya to release a 2 for 1 type kit. It would cut any future type sales. Maybe down the line. but I would expect separate type boxings from them. Just my thoughts.

I'm thrilled that Tamiya is expanding the Tomcat line. Figured that it was coming. And when I bought all the AM stuff to bring the A up to standard and Late A specs, figured that it was going to be done for me by Tamiya at some point.

Tamiya - Here's what I'm looking for in the D. (And George's post addresses most of it, so I'll just add on my thoughts).

1. (pretty sure this is the case) Please make the vertical tails a new piece. And include the RWR bump on the top aft of the right tail below the light.

2. Please include both standard Pre-2004 wheels and the late post-2004 wheels.

3. For the cockpit, please do accurate D side panels. None of the A side consoles are the same. Hasegawa did manage to get that correct. It would also be cool if the tub had the circuit breakers by the RIO's knees for the D...

4. Please make the new pilot and RIO coamings. All kits have re-purposed the A coaming and it's not the same. Aires did a great job of it in their cockpit.

5. Please make the front faces of the GE engine and not re-purpose the PW pieces from the kit.

6. It would be really cool to have closed GE exhausts included...

Some great ideas there, would love to see them myself.

Any word on your new Sheet for the Tamiya kits Brian?