1 hour ago, Swordsman422 said:

Being as much an ASE geek as I am a model geek, I'm in that population of four so I am glad that they did it. And most of my builds are post-HGU-33. But it is a good looking helmet and getting -33 heads with the MBU-14 mask with enough detail to tell the difference in this scale is very nice. You can probably add 2 more people to the group who cares at about accurate helmets.

"Nobody gives a crap" would be stating something as an absolute (not cool) that I knew was not true (even less cool).

"Four people will give a crap" is hyperbole, and fun to say out loud.

What I know to be true is that I have Phantoms, Skyhawks, Crusaders, a Vigilante, and early Tomcats that need crews... which gives me a flimsy excuse to buy several Tamiya F-14Ds.

I wasn't offended. I was agreeing with you in a self-deprecating way.

I hope that there are extra arms to go with the bodies. I too have several Navy jet kits for which no pilot figures are included and the spare body will do nicely. I don't think I'll make much hay about an HGU-33/MBU-14 combo in a pre-1978 airplane as long as I have a crew for the plane. It's pretty annoying when the manufacturer fails to provide aviators for the plane, regardless of accuracy.

Always love to see pilot figures - seated or standing. And getting an HGU-55/MBU-22 combo has been a rare thing. Stoked to see they did new pilots for the F-14D. And with the inflation collar. Those were only around at the end of the Tomcats life. 

It's going to be hard to wait until Aug 20. I'm anxious to get started on a handful of D builds. And yes, I'm still excited for the AMK kit too! 

Im thinking Eduard Brassin F-14D cockpit and detailed GE exhausts. 👍🏻

Brian 

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:36 AM, gb_madcat_sl said:

Someone should grab the Tamiya Tomcat from their booth and do a “flyby” with it at the AMK booth while making jet engine noises just to rub it in. 😂

Mark

LOL!

Someone had to post it...

While Tamiya kits are fabulous in terms of engineering, surface detail and fit, I have started to feel Chinese model kit companies are slowly pulling ahead. 

This comparison may or not be relevant here. I have built Tamiya M1A2 and am now building Meng M1A2. The way parts are difficult to get off sprues in Meng kit reminds of Tamiya's 70s era kits. There is flash in places you would not want to see. But despite this, the details Meng kit has captured and sheer number of parts leave behind Tamiya kit. Tamiya kit is simple to build but in terms of detail it falls way behind. 

The Tamiya M1A2 is also based on a nearly 30-year-old IPM1 mold. Comparing the new Meng kit to the Tamiya is like comparing Tamiya's F-14D to the Revell Monogram F-14D, which is based on the 40-year-old Monogram F-14A with some new parts thrown in.

Newer kits of any origin have a general tendency to be better than older ones of any origin. It is very rare (and dissapointing) for this not to be the case.

Edited by Swordsman422
8 minutes ago, Swordsman422 said:

The Tamiya M1A2 is also based on a nearly 30-year-old IPM1 mold. Comparing the new Meng kit to the Tamiya is like comparing Tamiya's F-14D to the Revell Monogram F-14D, which is based on the 40-year-old Monogram F-14A with some new parts thrown in.

Newer kits of any origin have a general tendency to be better than older ones of any origin. It is very rare (and dissapointing) for this not to be the case.

What I implied is that newer Tamiya kits are simple to build, superb in surface details and fit very well but lack the details that Chinese companies are putting in - more multimedia, more moveable parts, more version at a quicker production rate. These new features may or may not be relevant. But Tamiya seems to be stuck with their template and are not changing with changing times. Just my observation. 

Depends on the kit. The Tamiya 1/35 JSU-152 is a jewel! Detail abounds (the neat little track jig is a sweet touch too). Same can be said with their 1/35 M10...fabulous kit with more then enough detail for the average modeler. Their new Korean War Easy Eight... nice! They also include figures which I love in 1/35. Their newer figures are quite nice and fit the bill.  We still have companies (some from China) that don't include figures in their 1/35 armor kits. So to me it depends on the kit. Having written that, I'll still have no problems choosing a Tamiya 1/35 kit over many others.

EDIT: And we get 1/48 figures in the Tomcat kits too...as an armor modeler I love figures :rolleyes:

Edited by Don

Umm... wing are sweepable, removable, with the corresponding bladder bags and wing over sweep body fairings.  There's canopy masks, now intake painting masks, open boarding ladder and steps. Massive decal sheets with 4 options, weapons, cockpit and seat decals, plus tons of other little details previously only done in AM decals. Lots of weapon choices. Addon reinforcement RIO step plate. And parts that fit together with little to no glue and the kit requires no filler. 

Not sure how the Tamiya Tomcat could be anymore perfect of a kit overall. (Yes, lots of people do want dropped flaps). Tamiya may not pop out version after version as rapidly as other manufacturers, but they now have an old A and a D. And it looks like more is to come. I don't see that they are stuck in any time with their new kits. They continue to innovate and do their homework when it comes to shape (something I have yet to see the Chinese company's be able to do - The Hobby Boss Tomcat has a huge list of errors and shape issues)! Manufacturing is absolutely state of the art. Fit is more perfect than any other maker out there. Detail is superb. And they are including more options than a lot of the others. And at a competitive price point. 

Brian 

56 minutes ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Umm... wing are sweepable, removable, with the corresponding bladder bags and wing over sweep body fairings.  There's canopy masks, now intake painting masks, open boarding ladder and steps. Massive decal sheets with 4 options, weapons, cockpit and seat decals, plus tons of other little details previously only done in AM decals. Lots of weapon choices. Addon reinforcement RIO step plate. And parts that fit together with little to no glue and the kit requires no filler. 

Not sure how the Tamiya Tomcat could be anymore perfect of a kit overall. (Yes, lots of people do want dropped flaps). Tamiya may not pop out version after version as rapidly as other manufacturers, but they now have an old A and a D. And it looks like more is to come. I don't see that they are stuck in any time with their new kits. They continue to innovate and do their homework when it comes to shape (something I have yet to see the Chinese company's be able to do - The Hobby Boss Tomcat has a huge list of errors and shape issues)! Manufacturing is absolutely state of the art. Fit is more perfect than any other maker out there. Detail is superb. And they are including more options than a lot of the others. And at a competitive price point. 

Brian 

Not much to add here...the Tamiya bird is beautiful and the only "complaints" I have are very minimal. I would like to see seats with molded belts aka "Old Monogram", same for break lines. Lights in clear would also be nice (I know Quickboost has addressed those already). Wheels are simply better in Resin like Eduard ones... I think that's about it! Looking fwd to August but also to AMK, will simply get both of them, no big deal!

cheers

Uwe

PS: Brian...please do a VF-1/VF-2 first cruise decals sheet with the Vietnam strafer birds...I have Darren's boat tail waiting for it already! 🙂

Edited by anj4de
1 hour ago, anj4de said:

PS: Brian...please do a VF-1/VF-2 first cruise decals sheet with the Vietnam strafer birds...I have Darren's boat tail waiting for it already! 🙂

Yes! But you've already heard that from me too often.

Mark

Wow, are those carbon fiber decals for the engine fairings? Very impressive. Best looking GE exhausts I've seen in plastic. I wasn't going to get one as I the D doesn't excite me that much, but this kit really looks sweet and knowing how the A fit together its got to be a joy to build.

7 hours ago, gtypecanare said:

Could you please check with Tamiya if they could make that acrylic stand a product as well? I would like to have one or more for my Tomcats!

What I see is mouth watering...now No.1 on my shopping list!

cheers

Uwe

I can't wait for this kit to come out! I'm not sure I like the carbon fiber decals, though. At least in the posted pictures, the pattern seems too big and noticeable. I love all the extra's they have put in the kit. Way to go Tamiya!

1 hour ago, Darren Roberts said:

I can't wait for this kit to come out! I'm not sure I like the carbon fiber decals, though. At least in the posted pictures, the pattern seems too big and noticeable. I love all the extra's they have put in the kit. Way to go Tamiya!

I agree with your observation about the CF shroud decal.  I wonder if misting some black over it would make it more acceptable or if it would be better (more accurate) to not use it at all?

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi
Grammar
On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 6:42 PM, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

I'm expecting to see an F-35C in the not too distant future ;)... 

as for the F-14D markings, only a few squadrons to pick from and I'd bet VF-101, VF-31 for sure,  and VF-213 or VF-2. Hahaha

I hope so....I have the KH F-35C and it is quite the POS.

So apparently Tamiya is instituting a minimum advertised price scheme where they plan on punishing both brick and mortar and internet retailers who sell Tamiya products severely discounted. 

So..it seems the price of the Tomcat and Viper variants are about to skyrocket 

1 hour ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

So apparently Tamiya is instituting a minimum advertised price scheme where they plan on punishing both brick and mortar and internet retailers who sell Tamiya products severely discounted. 

So..it seems the price of the Tomcat and Viper variants are about to skyrocket 

I would wait and see how that plays out. A couple of model railroad manufacturers did the same thing some years ago.  I meant that places could advertise a discounted price at all (had to be MSRP), but it seems it was still ok for them to sell it at a fairly typical discount once added to a cart/check out.  Wouldn't be surprised to see a similar thing this time around.

1 hour ago, ESzczesniak said:

I would wait and see how that plays out. A couple of model railroad manufacturers did the same thing some years ago.  I meant that places could advertise a discounted price at all (had to be MSRP), but it seems it was still ok for them to sell it at a fairly typical discount once added to a cart/check out.  Wouldn't be surprised to see a similar thing this time around.

I've seen the same thing with TV sales online, where the item would be advertised as "on sale" or "discounted" plus "add to cart to see price". It was their way of getting around the MSRP restrictions. They weren't advertising it a below MSRP.