Eduard 1:72 MiG-21MF has arrived

Hi Sebastian,

Have fun with the kit!

You mention:

One critique that I can give right away, before starting the build, is that Eduard forgot to (again), mould the front airbrakes open. When the aircraft is parked, they drop a little and it’s gonna be hard to cleanly cut the out of the fuselage and redo it.

The small suction release doors, just above the front air brakes never closes completely on the ground. They are partly open (inwards). The gap is only about a thumbs width which is not much. The problem here is that the doors surface is not inline with aircraft surface, while the gap at the edge is small the whole surface brake is very prominent. (It is the same with the front airbrake, it drops only slightly but it is very much visible since its surface is not following the curvature of the plane. On a  natural metal aircraft it is very visible.)  

I know it is a minor thing and the ardent Eduard fans will look at it as blasphemy on my part against the holly Edu. :D (They can find me at Moson show and  . . . :D :D)  But since you have brought up question of the slightly dropped front airbrake the release doors should also be mentioned!  

As to the front airbrake I am sure Edu will do a separate resin aftermarket set which will be a solution.

Best regards

Gabor

20 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

As to the front airbrake I am sure Edu will do a separate resin aftermarket set which will be a solution.

It's a tribute to the Fujimi kit 😁

Well Eduard isn't only a plastic model kit producer only so... use the kit to feed the whole Eduard ecosystem !

3 hours ago, Laurent said:

Well Eduard isn't only a plastic model kit producer only so... use the kit to feed the whole Eduard ecosystem !

Hi Laurent,

Your definition of Eduard is wrong. Eduard IS a producer of aftermarket sets and they do SOME injection moulded kits too. The aftermarket production is still the main core of business for Edu.

But yes, you are right the plastic kits are there only to feed the aftermarket part of the business.

This is what they are good at, there is absolutely no question about it.

I am sure the new MiG-21 kit will be interesting (for some) and it is time that the KP kit is overtaken by something new although the KP was a very nice kit (all those millenniums ago)!

At Moson there could be a surprise for all those wishing to do the Czech grey Sedivky kits. More on this later.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

Thanks for the review! 

Read it, and despite of those minor glitches already mentioned, will surely get one. Although I'm naturally inclined towards the bis version.

With the eventual bis coming with an MF nose and these other "mistakes" on the nose area... I guess one could say they might have done it better. Even the old Zvezda comes with separate front brakes (quick photo from the couch): 

hZLRivj.jpg

Then again, I'm glad two types of windscreen is provided. All in all the kit looks good and surely will be the best available.

Will be waiting for your build!

OMG, Eduard make best MiG-21 in any scale (again !) - every model producer after Ed´ (except old - but overall good - in communistic era - made MiG-21MF  from OEZ)made a "melting pot" of MiG-21 with many inaccuracy, only Eduard make model with many differences, as you can see on real "Fishbed" - and we have a critique - hey, the new Ed´s "21" haven´t open braaakes.... "Fishbed" is in Czech republic a cult jet fighter he served here a forty years and is most popular ever.... Who make better MiG - 21MF and later variants ?  Nobody....

And Eduard MiG-21 is state of art kit, in technology from 21th century....

30 minutes ago, AlCZ said:

only Eduard make model with many differences, as you can see on real "Fishbed" - and we have a critique - hey, the new Ed´s "21" haven´t open braaakes....

AICZ calm down, please. I am more than glad that Eduard finally downscaled their excellent Fishbeds to 1:72. The solid shut airbrakes however ARE omission and the critique stands. I am reviewing the so called pre-release "library edition", so maybe later versions will have those airbrakes optional (I know you had to cut them out on its bigger brother if you wished so).

I am well aware that Eduard just created a benchmark MiG-21 kit in 1:72 and I am glad it did - besides Revell's F-13 and Zvezda's bis, and they both have problems of their own, there's nothing worth mentioning. OK Modelsvit is selling an excellent MiG-21F and RV did a 21 series but both are short run technologies which require a little bit more of experience and in the later's case, noses and windshields as well as all those rivets were a joke.

Hi Sebastijan,

Could you please show us the building instruction sheet.

I am sure the MiG-21 is iconic in the Czech Republic, it served for so long. . .   But so did it in Hungary or other ex War Pac countries not speaking of Russia! Only because it is so iconic it does not mean that people should be blind to shortcomings it has. Have a look at this Czech forums members work and opinions:

http://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=119782&start=30

Best regards

Gabor

Well I looked at the forums the Gabor mentioned and I have to rely on Google Translate to read the messages. While it may work word for word it doesn't carry the nuances of the authors original posting. But looking at the pictures I think the kit looks pretty good. The cockpit looks very good in the example shown, I don't know if the modeler used the supplied decals or he painted the detail on as its quite nice. While I may know the difference between a MiG-21 MF and a MiG-21 bis I am nowhere a expert on this aircraft. That being said this looks like a winner.

40 minutes ago, boom175 said:

I don't know if the modeler used the supplied decals or he painted the detail on as its quite nice.

Those are painted parts - plastic cockpit looks really nice and painted like that really brings out all the details.

Hello guys, I luckily found that you discuss my build presented at Modelforum, so I did a registration here to be able to react. Hope you will understand my english better than the google translation :) .  As I am author of that build, I can say that it is really good model to build and I have decided to make this first one just OOB, because the details of the kit looks to me very well to try it without any aftermarkets. The cockpit/Interier is hand painted as its details are surprisingly good and decent...no PE parts...no decals. I had problems to paint it as my eyes and hand shaking is not like 10 yrs ago, so I believe someone can do it much better.  All the main parts....and everything in my build fits I would say perfectly...the only gap i found is in front of the lower wing to fuselage, but absolutely no problem to fill it using some ultra thin plastic plate. The only visible thing that I dont like even as OOB build is the last part of exhaust nozzle and I will try to sratch it somehow to more lookable appearance. The suction section of fuselage deserves some sanding from inside to look more realistic as its bit more thick, but in my opinion this not big problem on this otherwise great model. Eduard did very good job reaching the moulding limits and because this is a 72 scale kit, something like airbrakes or whatever Ya-gabor can see as a problem....is not problem for me.

If you have some questions according the build, I will try to answer it.

Gábor !

It seems to me that the shape of the nose looks like RV wrong forward nose profile. Only at a glance, of course, but what do You think ? It's a little odd to me.

Kálmán

If you ask me about a MiG-21 bis nose section . . .  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Seriously, since I don’t have the 21MF kit in 72nd ( and will not have it) there is little I can say. We can only rely on the opinion of those who have it. Based on photos the intake lip looks over scale but it is possible to sand it down to a correct sharp edge as did Marek (welcome on this side of the world). As to the outline, I am sure the Eduard experts did have a look at a real aircraft (there should few around somewhere near Edu) to capture the shape, after all it is the Greatest Iconic Czech Fighter.

As I have said before there could be a surprise for all the Czech lovers of the Sedivky version in a weeks time at Moson.

Oh yes and bring on the Spanish Inquisition at Moson if you think so (or to be more precise in this case it will be the Czech Inquisition ).  :D :D :D :D   You will be able to find me there.

But lets give back this forum to Sebastijan (will you be at Moson?) and see what he has made of the kit!  Please share with us the instruction sheet.

Best regards

Gabor

On 4/10/2018 at 1:08 AM, ya-gabor said:

I know it is a minor thing and the ardent Eduard fans will look at it as blasphemy on my part against the holly Edu. :D 

Excellent prediction.

2 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

But lets give back this forum to Sebastijan (will you be at Moson?) and see what he has made of the kit!  Please share with us the instruction sheet.

Ah the forum is to discuss - I will soon open an 'in progress' thread as I am already underway with the construction.

I am not sure about Moson - there was some talk with the club members to visit it together, but on the other hand I have an offer for the same day, to go scuba diving and with the latter, I'd spent some time with my family at the seaside as well... hard choice really.

Friends sry but air brakes?They were down only when the aircraft longer stay to land. Who worked for WARPAC AF knows how it was. And anti-pumping door, new ones were completely closed.  Who study aircraft technology, understand it.

Sry apologyse me!!!
I qualify only for L-29,39,410 Su-22,25 Mi-8,17,24 and civilian F-70/100 ,A-320 family
,Tu-154M and engines PT-6 all,D-30 and R-95

Edited by harvy5
On 2018. 04. 11. at 10:33 PM, MoFo said:

Excellent prediction.

Hi MoFo,

The difference is: when people noted deficiencies of the brand new Airfix Brit Phantom fans of the manufacture did not declare holly war against people who had a close look at the kit and noticed problems. No matter how iconic was the British Phantom to UK modellers.

Central Europe is different!  

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor
On 2018. 04. 12. at 12:31 AM, Gene K said:

They may not be good enough, but there are rough scans at the bottom of this webpage.

Gene K

Hi Gene K

Thanks for the link. Had a look and instruction and it was good to see that only the Eduard company model builders (Martin Nademlejnsky and  Zdenek Svitak) made the same mistake and used parts the wrong way around on both first test builds and it is not a design fault. Nothing special one just needs to pay attention and follow the instructions.

The plastic parts in the review look good with only few simplifications and some missing / forgotten engraved lines. Normal with any manufacturer. It is obvious that future Edu resin and brass parts will supplement the kit to make it a complete kit. The resin aftermarket armada has already been announced by the manufacturer.

Best regards

Gabor

6 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

The plastic parts in the review look good with only few simplifications and some missing / forgotten engraved lines.

As usual, I look forward to your comments when you get the kit (I assume you will get it?).

Gene K