Best Matching Flat Light Gull Gray Paint Revealed

Dang! I was so hoping that it would shift. Great comparisons. Whenever you can, I'd be curious about the MM enamel. Are you planning to do more of these comparisons? Mod Eagle grays are what I am super interested in. Outside of MM enamels, I find that to be difficult to nail down. 

9 hours ago, Janissary said:

Are you planning to do more of these comparisons? Mod Eagle grays are what I am super interested in.

I'll be doing Light Ghost Gray and Dark Ghost Gray next after I clear coat MM Enamel Light Gull Gray.  Mod Eagle grays are on my list.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:12 PM, Janissary said:

Whenever you can, I'd be curious about the MM enamel.

I got four coats of Future on top of MM enamel on the right half of the color swatch in the picture below.  The Future darkened the original color significantly, perhaps much more than other acrylic gloss clears.  

mm_enamel_future.jpg

Below is a picture taken after two coats of Testors Dullcote have been applied:

mm_enamel_dullcoat01.jpg

The Dullcote did lighten the color somewhat but wasn't enough.  Below is another picture taken under direct sunlight:

mm_enamel_dullcoat02.jpg

So if you use Future as a gloss coat, you will need to lighten the original color by about 10% to compensate.

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:

Wow, you need a neutral gray balance card in your shots.  That last one is very yellow.

Yellow due to direct morning sun hitting on it.

4 hours ago, Janissary said:

So it does appear the clear coats do shift the tone in this case. 

Yep, only if Future is used as gloss coats.  I have a feeling the other brands of gloss clear, such as Ammo of Mig shown above, do not darken the base color and shift the tone that much.  Will try to verify my theory with some other gloss clears.

• 2 years later...

Interesting but what about Mr Color and Xtracolor?. I agree, Model Master enamel or rattle can was dang good stuff but it’s now moot. I guess I’m a Luddite. Nothing sprays better than gloss enamel in my ever so humble view. It’s why after trying this brand and that I fall back on Xtracolor. In a perfect world, Model Master will reappear and all the colors would be gloss. Dream on.

56 minutes ago, BillS said:

Interesting but what about Mr Color and Xtracolor?

Those two are gloss paints, so I didn't include them in this thread.  But for reference, Mr. Color C315 Gloss Light Gull Gray is an excellent match:

Mr_Color.png

Mr. Color C325 (semi-gloss) has a slight blue tint for some reason.  I don't have Xtracolor yet, so I can't comment.