Eduard 1:72 MiG-21MF; update 08/05/2018

OK let's start with this build

wip_mig21-1-XL.jpg

Since the canopy will be closed, I've decided to go with the decals for cockpit. There's also an option to paint the lovely alternate plastic parts, full of tiny details which look really really good.

wip_mig21-4-XL.jpg

a few pieces of the exhaust waiting to be put together...

wip_mig21-2-XL.jpg

Simple trick for landing lights - use kitchen aluminum foil to cover the back of the light...

wip_mig21-3-XL.jpg

...effect will be like the real thing and better than any paint.

Edited by Sebastijan

I admire your fast way of build models! Don't understnd how can you do it also so well!

will follow also this being a favourite subject

And also a way to know how is this new mould

So happy modelling!

Thank you guys!

Giovanni - not so fast anymore - my little daughter passed the modelling on priority ranking :)

Gabor - haha, dull and boring, yeah right :D

Anyhow here's a little more progress

wip_mig21-5-XL.jpg

Although some say decals look too flat, I don't see quality made cockpit decals any worse than prepainted photo-etch parts. And they are perfectly acceptable for closed canopy build.

wip_mig21-6-XL.jpg

The back of the pit is also nicely made and darker wash brings out all the lovely details. Unfortunately with the seat installed, there won't be much to see.

wip_mig21-7-XL.jpg

The narrow seam when joining fuselage and wings has been mentioned before. It is maybe 0.1mm wide so it shouldn't be too tough to fix. I also experienced the seam on the front fuselage halves joints - Luckily, scraping some plastic off the not visible parts of cockpit tub and front wheel well remedied that.

Lovely work, mate! 

I don't know whether it's that funky colour or the crampines and the millions of switches, levers and gauges inside that cockpit that always mesmerize me when I see one - or sit in one. MiG pits are arguably my favourites! I know some expert on ergonomics might disagree but what the heck! 😄

9 hours ago, janman said:

I know some expert on ergonomics might disagree but what the heck! 😄

I've been able to sit in many fighter cockpits over the years, but I still find Draken's way smaller than MiG-21's :)

35 minutes ago, Sebastijan said:

I've been able to sit in many fighter cockpits over the years, but I still find Draken's way smaller than MiG-21's :)

Have to agree. Had the chance to sit in several Draken cockpits in Sweden and man they were small/tight, but so is a Mirage F-1!  The MiG-21 is far wider and spacious but if you want to try a really big cockpit it is the Su-27. For the first time in Paris then in 1993 in Kusovka (Russia) had the chance to try it out and it is spacious!!! (in comparison to anything including the MiG-29)

Best regards

Gabor

2 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

Have to agree. Had the chance to sit in several Draken cockpits in Sweden and man they were small/tight, but so is a Mirage F-1!  The MiG-21 is far wider and spacious but if you want to try a really big cockpit it is the Su-27. For the first time in Paris then in 1993 in Kusovka (Russia) had the chance to try it out and it is spacious!!! (in comparison to anything including the MiG-29)

Best regards

Gabor

Yeah, I've had a chance to sit in Su-33 and Su-27UB as well and they're big pits... F-14 as well.

So here is the mistake illustrated on the plastic parts as well as on the instruction sheet. This is the new Profipack illustration which is coming in May. The photos are from the IPMS Nymburk page, hope they don’t mind me using them for illustration. If yes please tell me and I will delete them.

3gfnTKD.jpg

h5gLteV.jpg

Since it is all printed and ready to go to the shops I don’t think they will reprint all the instruction sheets just because of this mistake.

So when building the kit keep this change in mind!

Best regards

Gabo

Thanks for the interest, guys.

little update

wip_mig21-8-XL.jpg

This upper part on the nose that comes wedged between fuselage halves didn't want to sit properly - it fit in the windshield area, but not at the front - some puttying and sanding was required to fix it. It could have been my doing, but I remember I had some problem with the same part in 1:48 as well.

wip_mig21-9-XL.jpg

That gap, that appeared on all builds so far didn't require anything else but a little smear of putty at both ends near the wing joins. As you can see, after I applied some glue, it transformed into a normal looking panel line.

wip_mig21-10-XL.jpg

Interesting solution for the exhaust - instead of usual two-halves approach which requires seam clean up, this 1:72 version comes with a single-piece exhaust... Maybe slightly thick but should it this time.

wip_mig21-11-XL.jpg

Ejection seat looks really nice out of the box, but lacks harnesses and ejection seat handles. Harnesses are provided as decals but since decals are way too thin to look good, I decided to cut out the decals and attached them to the seat with CA glue. Ejection seat handles were made out of soldering wire.

wip_mig21-12-XL.jpg

wip_mig21-13-XL.jpg

Cockpit more or less finished. Just to add the gunsight recorder and that's it.

Grazie, Gianni!

I am building this model solely as a study model - no aftermarket and just seeing what it has to offer and if there are any building steps I should be careful of. As I expected the construction is mostly carefree with just some minor touch-ups.

Model is now all built up and ready for some primer.

wip_mig21-14-XL.jpg 

10 minutes ago, Sebastijan said:

Kiitos! yeah, I'll go for one of the Ilmavoimat birds... I got an interesting idea when visiting Tikkakoski museum ;)

Oh, that will be interesting - especially since that will be my exact plan too! I'm not sure what's your idea, but I'll probably try a later camo with local (flat) paints. 

wip_mig21-15-XL.jpg

I’ve heard so much good stuff about Stynlrez primer that I had to give it a go! Used the easily available Mig One Shot primer (rebranded Stynlerez) and was pretty pleased with the result.

wip_mig21-16-XL-XL.png

Next came some detail painting like dielectrics and intake nose ring, followed by a coat of Alclad Aluminum.

wip_mig21-17-XL-XL.jpg

I hate masking so much but do it carefuly and patiently and you will be rewarded.

wip_mig21-18-XL-XL.jpg

And main paint job finished – I’ve used Magnesium for darker panels and some fuselage streaking and then blended it in with misting the Aluminum.

wip_mig21-19-XL-XL.jpg

The effect is very subtle on bright light and a lit more pronounced in low-light situation. I really love painting with Alclads.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 5:36 PM, kurnass77 said:

Great job Seb,I'm still unable to paint a NMF bird...:crying:

Gianni

Just a bit of playing with Alclads, Gianni. Not that hard, really.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:09 AM, CaptainObvious said:

Nicely done. I've not seen this blue scheme before. Looks great!

Thanks mate! As pacheco already mentioned, those were identification markings for the big "Golija '76" exercise of Yugoslav armed forces. 

I am now putting decals on her... been working on her for several hours and a couple of more are ahead of me - several hundred stencils require their time.

Edited by Sebastijan