ARC Discussion Forums

Posted (edited)

teaser...

0Vr4DLS.jpg

Edited by habu2

... a teaser eh? ... I hope it's gonna be a build ... or is this a shot of your man cave?   :rolleyes:

lol my mancave isn’t that organized...  :(

I just returned from Fernbank Science Museum in Atlanta where I spent a few hours photographing the Apollo 6 CM (CM-020).  Museum management was very supportive and agreed to remove the clear cover over the hatch to allow me to photograph the interior. The interior has been pretty well scavaged over the last 50 years but it was still neat to see.

Speaking of 50 years, last week was the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 6 mission.   My how time flies...

I thought you were building a simulator from harvested parts : )  Great pic, thanks!

The Block 1 CMs had the CM/SM umbilical under the hatch vs the larger umbilical on the opposite side on Block II.  However there is also a hull penetration on the opposite side of this Block 1,  in the same position and virtually identical configuration as the Block II umbilical connection.  Confusing...

fIg21Ug.jpg

al64ycM.jpg

Posted (edited)

I don't know if Apollo 6 carried an actual sextant and optical site, but you can see how the engineers used temperature indicating paint around the sextant bezels to study the intensity of re-entry heating on this area. Also notice this area seems more recessed than on a Block II CM.

hz0XATa.jpg

NvfYcZa.jpg

Edited by habu2