ARC Discussion Forums
Hooker169

Best way to duplicate CH-47D oil stains??

I'm getting ready to start my Italeri 1/48 Chinook and I'm trying to find a way to duplicate or simulate oil saturated paint as seen below. Chinooks were notorious for getting these oil stains below the fwd and aft heads and below the engines. Curious as to how you guys might go about it.

13047918_530613607109471_627028715527300

I would apply a wash using artist oils, thinned with turpentine. Black might be a bit harsh, so I'd start with a dark olive green color and see how that looks. You might experiment on an old model first to see how the oils lay down or into the underlying paint.

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

That looks more like the 'hook is wet from condensation than oil stains.

Posted (edited)

Hooker,

I used a technique on a ww1 plane I built that might work for you. Do not use a wash, use an entirely different color for the stain, airbrush it on in a really thin mix and use the AB to blow it around. Look at the castor stains on the wings and fuselage of my Fokker and DH2

image.jpg

IMG_1486.jpg

There are a lot of pics on a forum devoted to ww1 planes,      Fokker

Chris

Edited by compressorman

I found a you tube video showing oil stains/grease effects weathering using Mig Fresh Engine Oil. Hope this helps.

Yes, thanks for the video. Even though I tend to watch these sorts of things from time to time, I was not aware of the 'fresh engine oil'. I just ordered one. I like hat it is not black (has a brownish tint to it just like real oil) and is translucent. This is ideal for what I have in mind for my current build.

Wow, yes, that looks so much like real oil.   You almost feel like you don't want to put any of it for fear of it not drying : )