Acrylic Clear Coats

The Zero paints one does look very good. I will pick some up on my next order with Hobbyworld. You were right about the MRP gloss. It does look more like a satin. Should be good for a satin coat, or scale effect gloss.

9 hours ago, Mstor said:

The Zero paints one does look very good.

I think you will like it a lot.  It is already pretty glossy after the initial coat.  However, you will need a good fume extractor and a good respirator since Zero gloss clear is very potent.

Below is another picture taken indoor under LED lighting this time.  Zero gloss is in the foreground.  Note the sharpness of the LED lights in the reflection.

zero_gloss2.jpg.2eec1952d0486ce495bb69020e3ffe15.jpg

1 hour ago, Ichitoe said:

Great info Richard! Can you take a pic comparing the sheen between the H30 and the Zero?

Sure.  On the left is Gunze H30 and on the right is Zero:

zero_gloss3.jpg

zero_gloss4.jpg

H30 is very impressive.  I would say it's just as glossy or even a little more glossy than Zero based on the sharpness of the reflection on the second pic.  Of course, the spoons are different, and Zero gloss was sprayed onto a shallower spoon.  When I have some spare time, I will spray it onto the same type of spoon that H30 was sprayed on.

1 hour ago, RichardL said:

About an hour.  It can be handled in four hours and reaches full hardness in 24 hours.

Though not too bad, it is kinda long for me. That's what I like about using X-22 with Leveling thinner, it dries very fast. I have two long hair cats and though they are not allowed in the basement where I work, their hair seems to travel into every corner of the house and appear miraculously out of nowhere right onto any wet paint I spray. Only noticed once the paint is completely dry, of course. :bandhead2:

37 minutes ago, Mstor said:

hair seems to travel into every corner of the house and appear miraculously out of nowhere right onto any wet paint I spray.

Do you have a large tupperware that you can use to cover your aircraft until the clear coat is completely dry like so?

cover2.jpg

2 hours ago, RichardL said:

H30 is very impressive.  I would say it's just as glossy or even a little more glossy than Zero based on the sharpness of the reflection on the second pic.  Of course, the spoons are different, and Zero gloss was sprayed onto a shallower spoon.  When I have some spare time, I will spray it onto the same type of spoon that H30 was sprayed on.

Thank you Richard! It appeared to me the H30 had higher gloss sheen than the Zero from the pics you previous posted prior to the one showing them side by side.  

I've ordered some H30 along with its thinner. I plan on using it on a Formula 1 build I'm doing.

Have you tried the Tamiya X-20A thinner with the H30?

Mike

Do you have a large tupperware that you can use to cover your aircraft until the clear coat is completely dry like so?

That's a good idea. I've used plastic containers for canopies after dipping them. So, makes sense. Just need to make room in my never ending clutter for something like that. Gotta find something big though. The Suhkoi jets I'm working on is big.

Edited by Mstor
58 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Gotta find something big though. The Suhkoi jets I'm working on is big.

The one I show in the picture above is 17" long and 14" wide, big enough for most 1/48 modern jets.  If you are looking for something larger, there is one on Amazon that's 23" long x 16.2" wide for $17.50 and free shipping:  Sterilite 16598008 56QT Storage Box.

The one I show in the picture above is 17" long and 14" wide, big enough for most 1/48 modern jets.  If you are looking for something larger, there is one on Amazon that's 23" long x 16.2" wide for $17.50 and free shipping:  Sterilite 16598008 56QT Storage Box.

Sounds good. I'll look into it.

18 hours ago, Ichitoe said:

Have you tried the Tamiya X-20A thinner with the H30?

Mike

Hey Mike,

I tried H30 thinned with Tamiya X-20A thinner last night, and the combination worked well as expected.  The X-20A did cloud up on the final wet coat, however.  That never happened with Gunze's own thinner.  Luckily, it cleared out when dry.  The bottle of H30 I have is around 25 years old, so hopefully the formula hasn't changed when you get yours.  I will also order some more bottles of H30 to double check.  Below is a picture showing the results:

gunze_h30_vs_zero_gloss.png

Richard - thank you for taking time to try that combination! Yes, it'll be interesting to see if the formula has changed since you got your bottle of H30. I've read about the Zero paints on some car forums, but I just don't want to buy another line of paints for car builds. 

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Richard,

Thank you for taking the time to answer all the questions in this topic. Lot's of new things to try!

Last Friday I ordered some new gloss and flat clear coats to give them a try! We'll see how it goes.

Thanks again to everyone! :worship:

Best regards,

Tato