1/48 Special Hobby AJ 37 Viggen, Swedish Air Force, 1993

Hi all!

I am back after a bit of a break with my latest completed model, the 1/48 Special Hobby AJ 37 Viggen from 7 sqd of the Swedish Air Force.

The kit is actually very nice to build, and has some really nice detail.  There are a few errors in the kit, all of which are well known here and other sites.  I myself was not too concerned with these issues, as they did not bother me, and by doing an in-flight build was able to avoid two of the bigger issues (canard flaps droop on the ground and way too thin wheels and tires).  That also did not keep me from making some mistakes of my own on this build, mostly concerning the weapons load.  Apparently AJ 37s did not carry anything on the outer pylons due to vibration (although this was fixed on the JA and other variants), and I mixed green training munitions with live RB 75s.  Oops.  

I chose to do the Fields and Meadows splinter scheme, because OF COURSE.  LOL  This is without a doubt the most challenging paint and mask job I have ever done, and it is not even close.  This makes the F-16C Blizzard scheme look like a walk in the park.  Even with the DN Model masks this was extremely tedious, and required much touch up when finished, and I didn't get some areas exactly right.  But all in all, I was very pleased when I removed the masks!  The paints are all Gunze Aqueous except the black, which is Tamiya Rubber Black.  I think the colors are a very nice match.

When I think of the Viggen, I think of a few things that make this aircraft iconic.  The unique shape.  The fabulous green splinter scheme.  And of course the flourescent red day-glo practice markings!  I couldn't resist putting them on my model.  For these I used the Euro Decal Viggen Day Glo sheet.  I did have some problems with this sheet, unfortunately.  First, these decals are very delicate, and tore at even the slightest resistance once place on the model.  In fact, I originally was going to do "34" for sq 6, but I managed to destroy the #3 as I tried to place it.  So I changed the number to 45 and had to be verrrrrry careful with the #4 , #5, and the vertical fin numbers.  But I will say the Euro Decals are much brighter and look much closer to the real thing than the decals in the kit and the TwoBobs sheet.

I also changed up my in-flight stand set up slightly with this model.  Instead of the armature wire I had been using, I decided to try using flat aluminum bar.  That worked out very well and I think it looks much cleaner and more eye pleasing.  I will be using this method from now on.

Here is what I used in this build:

Kit: 1/48 Special Hobby AJ 37 Viggen

Decals: TwoBobs AJ/JA 37 Viggen, Euro Decals Viggen Day Glo numbers

Aftermarket: CMK Bofors M/70 Rocket Pods, Eduard Maverick Missiles, Hasegawa Weapons Set C (for Aim-9Js to simulate Rb 24Js), Master Model Pitot set, and DN Model Splinter Camo Masks

Paints: Gunze Mr. Surfacer Black 1500 (primer base),  Gunze Aqueous H308, H309 Dark Green, H58 Light Green, and H310 Brown, Tamiya Rubber Black, Clear Red, Clear Blue, and Smoke, and Alclad II Gloss Black Primer, Airframe Aluminum, Pale Burnt Metal, and Burnt Iron. Future Gloss coat for decals and Future+Tamiya XF-21 Flat Base 6:1 ratio for final matte coat. Mig Ammo Deep Gray panel wash on the underside and black areas, and Deep Brown for the topside.

Now on to the pics... Hope you enjoy!

463175-16625-50.jpg

463184-16625-42.jpg

463177-16625-40.jpg

463178-16625-95.jpg

463179-16625-84.jpg

463180-16625-32.jpg

463181-16625-86.jpg

463183-16625-19.jpg

463185-16625-28.jpg

463186-16625-64.jpg

I'm not one to say that I have ever had any interest in the Viggen but what I do have to say is HOLY CRAP! Michael, that thing is a piece of art. I simply love the matte finish you put on it. It actually makes the black stand out a little bit more in my opinion, almost as if it's collected moisture on it. Beautiful!

22 hours ago, RCAFFAN said:

That is a very impressive build! An eye-catching display.............

Thanks man!  I appreciate the kind words.

21 hours ago, Whiskey said:

I'm not one to say that I have ever had any interest in the Viggen but what I do have to say is HOLY CRAP! Michael, that thing is a piece of art. I simply love the matte finish you put on it. It actually makes the black stand out a little bit more in my opinion, almost as if it's collected moisture on it. Beautiful!

Thanks Zach, I appreciate that!  I actually was slightly concerned the black stood out too much, even using rubber black instead of regular black.  But I think it adds a striking element to the model against the greens and tan.

20 hours ago, Red Dog said:

Jaw dropping. I love it

I also love the dynamic of the in flight stand

Very well done Michael, congrats

Thanks Red Dog!  I think the Viggen in-flight is a thing of beauty, so I knew right away I would do this model in that configuration.

18 hours ago, Sebastijan said:

Wonderful job!

Thanks as always my friend!

18 hours ago, Joerg said:

Absolutely fantastic model!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Joerg

Thanks Jeorg, I appreciate the very nice compliment!

Splendid! I love the Viggen in the splinter scheme.  I have this kit in my stash. Haven't worked up the courage to tackle it yet. You have done a beautiful job.

On 4/14/2018 at 11:42 PM, Mstor said:

Splendid! I love the Viggen in the splinter scheme.  I have this kit in my stash. Haven't worked up the courage to tackle it yet. You have done a beautiful job.

Thanks Mstor!  I think the Viggen splinter scheme is my favorite scheme on any jet.  Even moreso than my beloved Jolly Rogers schemes.  LOL

On 4/14/2018 at 11:55 PM, BoeingDriver said:

Such a masterful modeler you are!

Thanks BD!  That is some serious praise there, but I still have a lot to learn.  I still make many mistakes and am pretty adept at hiding poor construction.  LOL

On 4/15/2018 at 2:01 AM, Paolo Maglio said:

Excellent! Perfect painting and presentation. Just a note on Sidewinders on those external pylons: those pylons were not wired on AJ 37, only JA and later AJS had them working properly.

Thanks Paolo!  Yeah, I made mention of the issues with the load in my original post.  It was brought to my attention on Scalemates when I posted it there.  Do you happen to know the external differences between and AJ and AJS 37?  Maybe I should just say it's an AJS.  LOL

On 4/15/2018 at 8:05 AM, Gambler said:

Absolutetly outstanding work Michael!

One of the best aircraft models I have seen for a long time.

Well done on a very complex scheme!

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Thanks Jeff!  That is also some really high praise, and I appreciate that! 

On 4/15/2018 at 9:11 AM, crackerjazz said:

Ultra-cool! : )  Mind if I ask what gauge aluminum strip you used?   Is there any bobbing compared to the wire you used before --  I'm guessing it's more solid.

Thanks CJ!

The aluminum bar is 1/2" wide and 1/16" thick.  I bought it from Home Depot in lengths of 3 feet, then cut it into 3 1-foot lengths (now I can do two more of these!).  I think each bar as only like $2 or so.  Very cheap.

It is MUCH more sturdy than my previous method using armature wire.  There is still a slight bounce being moved, but it is not bad, and the attachment of the model to the bar is much more secure as opposed to how I used to do it.  It also looks much cleaner and professional. 

On 4/15/2018 at 10:40 AM, shan said:

amazing, still hoping someone will release a 1/32 scale version of this kit

Thanks shan, I was unaware there isn't a 1/32 version of the Viggen.  That is a shame for such an iconic aircraft.

Michael, most of the mods of the AJS are in the cockpit, all you have to do is to add a bulkhead over the flat black panel of the IP cover. Please also mind your kit is missing the RWR antenna on the very back tip of the tail cone, it is a diamond shaped big antenna. Unfortunately it is missing form all the 48 scale Viggen kits but I made resins master for Maestro

f4jjit.jpg

Edited by Paolo Maglio

Oh my. I dunno where to start. 
I totally agree, how can you separate the viggen and the splinter scheme?

I can't imagine the masking work involved. But it all paid off and the weathering perfectly blends it all together.

Really outstanding camouflage.

Nice stand too!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2018 at 1:07 AM, B.Sin said:

WOW!

Thanks Brad, I appreciate the nice feedback!

On 4/17/2018 at 1:34 AM, skyhawk174 said:

Just an amazing model. I don't have that kit, only the very old and crude ESCI version. I love the weathered camo. Very real looking.

Oh and for stand is very cool look in too.

Thanks Chris!  I tried to weather the camo without going too far, and I am very happy with the result.

On 4/17/2018 at 3:15 AM, Paolo Maglio said:

Michael, most of the mods of the AJS are in the cockpit, all you have to do is to add a bulkhead over the flat black panel of the IP cover. Please also mind your kit is missing the RWR antenna on the very back tip of the tail cone, it is a diamond shaped big antenna. Unfortunately it is missing form all the 48 scale Viggen kits but I made resins master for Maestro

f4jjit.jpg

THanks Paolo, that is great info!  I appreciate your help my friend.

On 4/19/2018 at 5:38 PM, CaptainObvious said:

Oh my. I dunno where to start. 
I totally agree, how can you separate the viggen and the splinter scheme?

I can't imagine the masking work involved. But it all paid off and the weathering perfectly blends it all together.

Really outstanding camouflage.

Nice stand too!

Thanks Cap, I always appreciate hearing your feedback.  I am happy you approve! 

On 4/19/2018 at 6:10 PM, Trojan Thunder said:

Looks great Michael, love the paint finish, loadout  and display :thumbsup2:

Thanks Ray for taking the time to comment, I appreciate the compliments!

On 4/22/2018 at 3:24 PM, Aigore said:

Fantstic! You got that paintwork come together expertly, you managed to capture the Viggeness!:worship::worship:

Heck of a job!

Thanks Janne, it is always flattering to receive a compliment from you.  Hmmm, Viggeness... I like it!  That is exactly what I was going for!  LOL