Aftermarket assembly and painting order

Hi all,

It's my first time doing a complete detail set with resin and photoetch parts.  I'm kinda daunted by the fact that these aftermarket parts don't really show an assembly order.  It's hard to understand the big picture in terms of building and painting order.  I've studied all the instructions but they're mostly exploded views with arbitrary arrows pointing from one part to another.  Not that I expected much knowing that these sets are usualy made in Korea and the Czech Republic. Anyone have any advice strategies for an aftermarket detailing noob?

41403276072_3df6996a9b_c.jpg20180414_005953 by Jesse Flauta, on Flickr

First of all give all the resin parts a good scrub in warm(not hot) water with some normal washing up liquid. I use a toothbrush to get into all the little crevices but be careful as some of parts like the ejector seat rails and the seat itself can be very fragile, once washed rinse in clean water and leave to drip dry.

These resin sets are intended to replace whats all ready in the kit, so more or less build as per the kit instructions swapping or removing the kit parts, this is where using a good razor saw will pay off, then replace with the resin. You'll have to use a cyanoacrylate (superglue/instant glue) on the resin parts.

With the above set I would cut out the kit cockpit IP coaming and dry fit the resin replacement first, follow this by painting up and detail all the cockpit parts before assembling the cockpit, then do the same with seat but leave this out until the very end of the build. You'll more than likely find that you'll have to thin down the walls on both the kit fuselage halves and the resin sidewalls in order for the resin cockpit to fit properly,  but take care not to go right through the plastic/resin.

Out of interest what set is the above?

Thanks scotthldr.  I made a mistake and put all these parts in an ultrasonic cleaner that I use for deep cleaning my airbrush.  The rudder pedals couldn't take the vibration and broke into pieces.  The back of the cockpit also received a hairline fracture.  Luckily everything else is intact.  Next time I'll use a toothbrush...

The kit is a 1/72 F-16CG/CJ by Academy, cockpit set by Aires and external updates by Wolfpack designs.  I'm making a CG Aviano jet.

On 4/14/2018 at 5:12 AM, Jessirelli said:

...cockpit set by Aires ...

Dont know about others' experiences with Aires, but the Aires cockpit sets I have attempted to use required extensive thinning of both the resin part and kit sides. Be prepared for lots of test fitting and take care