Which 1/48 SU-35?

14 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Since we're on the subject, what are the chances either one of these companies will start the two seat SU-30 series?

The Su-30SM/MKI/MKM/MKA is my most desired kit in 1/48, so imagine my surprise when I saw this:

http://coldwarstudio.com/Su-30 SM/ Su-30 MKI conversion set for the Su-30 Hobby Boss kits product/

While it's not a new full kit, I will be getting a couple of these conversion sets for sure!  Who knows how long it will be before that aircraft series is kitted.

28 minutes ago, Solo said:

Su-25, F-15E, A-10C - that I want from GWH, not another F-35. Nor F-14. :)

15 minutes ago, B.Sin said:

Ok!

Agreed!

While the F-14 is my favorite aircraft, I agree we don't need another new tool F-14, even from GWH.  An Su-25 would be awesome!

15 minutes ago, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

The Su-30SM/MKI/MKM/MKA is my most desired kit in 1/48, so imagine my surprise when I saw this:

http://coldwarstudio.com/Su-30 SM/ Su-30 MKI conversion set for the Su-30 Hobby Boss kits product/

While it's not a new full kit, I will be getting a couple of these conversion sets for sure!  Who knows how long it will be before that aircraft series is kitted.

Agreed!

While the F-14 is my favorite aircraft, I agree we don't need another new tool F-14, even from GWH.  An Su-25 would be awesome!

As far as the F-14 goes, well, we are getting a new tool one from AMK, and I welcome it.

Well I guess that answers my predicament; to rid thee of my HB SU-30 kit or not to rid thee, that is the question!

Only reason I thought about was that if someone like GWH or KH does do a SU-30 series then there’s no point in me holding onto this thing as it’s not an accurate model for the MKI.

2 minutes ago, B.Sin said:

As far as the F-14 goes, well, we are getting a new tool one from AMK, and I welcome it.

Don't count your Tom-kittens before they hatch...

48 minutes ago, habu2 said:

Don't count your Tom-kittens before they hatch...

Well, they've already made the upper fuselage, the wings, the intakes, and the weapons. No reason for me to think that they're not going to produce the kid.

1 hour ago, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

While it's not a new full kit, I will be getting a couple of these conversion sets for sure!  

This is probably the highlight of my month. I have been wanting to do an MKI for the longest time.

Dave

On 16/04/2018 at 4:23 AM, B.Sin said:

Well, they've already made the upper fuselage, the wings, the intakes, and the weapons. No reason for me to think that they're not going to produce the kid.

Here is one reason....TAMIYA...

Whatever GWH choose to do ill buy as they are hitting it out of the park with every release.

People got far to carried away with AMK’s Mig-31 compared to these kits.

Nice yes but GWH stuff is stellar.

Far more refined, better fine detail and beautiful panel lines that AMK could only dream of sadly looking at the F-14 images they posted.

• 1 year later...
On 4/17/2018 at 9:05 AM, dehowie said:

Here is one reason....TAMIYA...

Whatever GWH choose to do ill buy as they are hitting it out of the park with every release.

People got far to carried away with AMK’s Mig-31 compared to these kits.

Nice yes but GWH stuff is stellar.

Far more refined, better fine detail and beautiful panel lines that AMK could only dream of sadly looking at the F-14 images they posted.

Once again this is a very objective opinion. I find the detail and the AMK panel lines simply amazing.

Regardless, this is about Su-35, so.....

On 4/14/2018 at 4:25 PM, Whiskey said:

Would it be a good idea to pick this up or spend a little bit more for the GWH kit that everyone is raving about?

Yes, the GWH kit is beautiful but the Kittyhawk still builds up fine and pretty trouble free.

Ex7fU3l.jpg

I used the AMUR Reaver burner cans on the KH kit and although not a tail sitter it would benefit from a little weight in the nose. Also beware of the forward landing gear, the rear piece is too short and will make the droop too low, I replaced it with an Academy one but it's easy enough to lengthen the kit piece.

Wow that is beautiful Paul. I mean simply beautiful. I've seen plenty of great looking KH Flanker-E builds out there and I have yet to still pull the trigger on one. Mainly just because I've been focused on other aircraft subjects. With another GWH release coming soon I'll probably still go with that but if I want to do more than the eggplant scheme I'll stick with the KH.

Post more pics of yours btw Paul!

1 hour ago, Whiskey said:

Post more pics of yours btw Paul!

Thanks Zach!

I bought the KH because it was the first one released and as a 1/48 Russian aircraft builder I had no hesitation.

I also decided to make it the early eggplant as it things like the chaff were correct for that scheme, also reckoning the camo schemes of the Russian and Chinese would look better with the crisper GWH surface details.

Saying that I really liked the KH, it looks the part and stands out well to the other Flankers I have.  I see it as good practice to go to town on the GWH kits...

IThHIeb.jpgm05jwhn.jpgB0PnA9p.jpg

Was nearly finished and then saw this photo....

wnrzsfI.jpg

..which was a game changer, I had planned a little weathering but decided to remove the decals and repaint it as a well worn Aviadarts contender.

1ZfPlc1.jpg

Zt0igXx.jpgOve5IsB.jpg

So I bought a KH one off of evilBay, at $20. Free shipping. I figure that 1) it's only $20 that I'd have to fight to get back if something goes awry and 2) It's from HK and not mainland China where most people have problems with purchased items actually arriving through the US delivery services. 

Even if this does pan out and I really do get the kit in the mail I am planning on purchasing the newest GWH SU-35 release.

Hopefully not hijacking the current direction of this thread, but I had a question for the handful of Flanker experts in the thread.

From what was said here, the KH SU-35 stinger is an early production version, correct? Can someone say what differences exist between that early stinger and the stingers found on the prototypes? Seeing that DN Models has a mask set to make the 901/Yellow Splinter prototype, I'm wondering how much modification would be needed to the KH or GWH kits to make a reasonably accurate representation? I am by no means a rivet-counter, but I am curious how far off the kits are from that particular airframe.

Thanks!

43 minutes ago, Specter1075 said:

Hopefully not hijacking the current direction of this thread, but I had a question for the handful of Flanker experts in the thread.

From what was said here, the KH SU-35 stinger is an early production version, correct? Can someone say what differences exist between that early stinger and the stingers found on the prototypes? Seeing that DN Models has a mask set to make the 901/Yellow Splinter prototype, I'm wondering how much modification would be needed to the KH or GWH kits to make a reasonably accurate representation? I am by no means a rivet-counter, but I am curious how far off the kits are from that particular airframe.

Thanks!

Flare dispensers are directed downwards (bottom of the stinger) in later examples and upward (top of the stinger) in early ones. Also, shape of some antennas are different.