GWH 1/48 Su-35SK "Flanker E" PLAAF 6th Brigade

Incredible work. I had a question about the wiring based on your photos (below). How do you attach the wires to the plastic? I assume you spot-weld it using CA. If so, how you progress? Do you first bend the entire wire to shape, or do you glue one spot, let it cure, then bend the wire to the next spot etc? 

Also, is the Tamiya tape helping with the attachment of the wire to the plastic, or is it just cosmetic?

At any rate, it would great to hear your process of adding these wires.

Thanks.

https://i.imgur.com/xgGDWL7.jpg

Edited by Janissary
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2018 at 3:23 AM, Janissary said:

Incredible work. I had a question about the wiring based on your photos (below). How do you attach the wires to the plastic? I assume you spot-weld it using CA. If so, how you progress? Do you first bend the entire wire to shape, or do you glue one spot, let it cure, then bend the wire to the next spot etc? 

Also, is the Tamiya tape helping with the attachment of the wire to the plastic, or is it just cosmetic?

At any rate, it would great to hear your process of adding these wires.

Thanks.

https://i.imgur.com/xgGDWL7.jpg

Thanks for your encouragement.

I used ERGO 5400 and 5600 super glue. They dry so fast and so strong, highly recommended.

The wire I used are brass from electric wire, neither too soft like weld line nor too hard like normal brass line.

Drill a hole at the end of the wiring, glue the wire and use a sharp twizer to bend it to correct shape, then glue at the right place just like real thing, then repeating bend/glue again.

Very tiring and time cosuming, but worth all the effort after painting.

HTH

Yufei

So after the busy May, June and 1st half of July (coutinous biz trips in Wuhan, Beijing, Tianjin, Guangzhou, Dalian and Tokyo), I finally could make some update.

Yes I'm still modeling the Flanker little by little.

You can find the kit was designed with full rivets lay out, but some rivets are too shallow to hold washing, especially the stabilizers.

So I used 0.15mm and 0.2mm drill to deepen them, one by one.

Fortunately I do NOT need to add rivets by myself but only deepen them, so just some patience is all you need.

Turn on the cooler and Hi-Fi in my work room, one hour before sleeping and it still took me about 10 nights to deepen all the rivets.

After coating with Mr. Surface No.1500, I still used No.2000 sand paper to polish the surface, for a definite smooth effect bring to the camo painting.

rIghjtA.jpg

And this is how the final result looks like after surfacing.

rawSZf4.jpg

Eme3LJH.jpg

ZeccHG1.jpg

WZAK33T.jpg

9nGt01E.jpg

awbWA7s.jpg

BH2AzrR.jpg

ZGGmRS6.jpg

Rivets on stabilizers are very shallow, be sure to deepen them. 

J5yU0NE.jpg

bKOTP0n.jpg

Thanks to the good fitting of the kit, I will paint/weather parts before gluing them to avoid the annoying any obvious painting granule around the corners.

yK4R3kw.jpg

When I was getting mad drilling those rivets, I built some accessories to change the mood...

WbhHKHD.jpg

0XYEJWC.jpg

fF9jQU5.jpg

Jc0Eq0U.jpg

NrNp3Gq.jpg

e4OgFil.jpg

ELBMTgz.jpg

iMPcfSs.jpg

I'm also scratch-building a PLA pilot.

To be continued...

Edited by haneto
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for watching and sorry for the abesence guys.

Met some accident during my summer vocation in Koh Samui when I slippered in swimming pool and my foot thumb nail had to be removed by surgery.

During my rest at home finally finished weapon painting.

Besides the AA missiles provided by GWH I also added B-13L rocket launchers which are very common for PLAAF training.

The outloads, look simple but took tons of efforts and patience.

Different colours and surface texture means many masking works, both spray work and brush paint.

And since outloads are usually stored very well they are generally brand new, which means you need to paint them as neat as you can since no weathering trick to cover your miss.

ZQssN80.jpg 

Under some aspect you can find the different surface texture on the missiles.

Gloss, semi gloss, flat or metalic

This shows how good a modeller has spent time to learn and understand the missile in real life.

Meanwhile a great fun from modelling as well.  

FBC1nI5.jpg

Actually I almost finished camo on main parts, but now pending to Chinese font stencils which are under designing.

I cannot paint other colors on other details since I need to spray the semi gloss surface once decals attached, to make different surface texture on the fuselage again, like what I did on missiles.

So let me save the explanation to next update.

txlr9QQ.jpg

To be continued...... 

2 hours ago, foxmulder_ms said:

Looking absolutely GREAT!!!

but you mixed the places of camouflage colors on the plane! 🙂 The main color should be lighter blue not the gray..

No buddy, PLAAF camo is totally different than RuAF.

Main color is light grey instead of blue, check the fuselage camo pattern.

12 minutes ago, foxmulder_ms said:

Evidently; 

I always thought they had the same camo.

PLA camo color are opposite to RusAF, the overall light blue is replaced by light grey.

And darkest blue is lighter on PLA than RuAF.

Camo pattern is similar but a bit different on wing tips.

I have lots of PLA Su-35 photos from my resources but since it's still classifed somehow, I can only post 2 of them with some adds on.

Others are from PLAAF official resourse.

unA3J7n.jpg

8U9aYX4.jpg

6vdmeBE.jpg

qGoKqf6.jpg

s2twAeR.jpg

67IFri6.jpg 

Edited by haneto