GWH 1/48 Su-35SK "Flanker E" PLAAF 6th Brigade

On 9/8/2018 at 6:22 AM, haneto said:

The deadly R-73, no second to AIM-9X even much aged.

h3KJV4L.jpg

Haneto, are you sure about the color you have quoted for the R-73 launchers? FS16440, AKA Gloss light Gull Grey, is a much lighter grey.

On 9/8/2018 at 6:22 AM, haneto said:

The deadly R-73, no second to AIM-9X even much aged.

h3KJV4L.jpg

JQmNqBq.jpg

Man, you're doing such a fantastic job on this build! I really appreciate the color matching and everything else you have done. This build is saved for my build someday in the future!

Now...about the R-73 comment........AIM 9x is still having its growing pains, but I feel pretty confident that the AIM 9 series has a few more kills under its use than the R-73 does.

5 hours ago, Mstor said:

Haneto, are you sure about the color you have quoted for the R-73 launchers? FS16440, AKA Gloss light Gull Grey, is a much lighter grey.

Yeah the ones on Su-35 are just very dark.

Check refs man.

s2twAeR.jpg

rsTLzYV.jpg

2 hours ago, haneto said:

Yeah the ones on Su-35 are just very dark.

Check refs man.

Yes, I've seen them in other pics and they all seem to be that darker grey. My comment was about FS16440, which is not that dark a gray. Not as dark as in the pics. Unless Mr Color has done something weird with their FS16440.

Here's an example of 16440 on the Colorserver website next to the color you used for the R-27 nose cones.

http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=36622+16440&size=l&bkgr=70

It isn't exact in it's matches but is close and shows the relative color shades. FS 16440 is the color used on early US Navy jets like the F-4 and F-14. Maybe its just me or the fact that the piece is next to a lot of very light objects, but I think 16440 would be too light. The color looks more like dark gull grey FS 36231.

32 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Yes, I've seen them in other pics and they all seem to be that darker grey. My comment was about FS16440, which is not that dark a gray. Not as dark as in the pics. Unless Mr Color has done something weird with their FS16440.

Here's an example of 16440 on the Colorserver website next to the color you used for the R-27 nose cones.

http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=36622+16440&size=l&bkgr=70

It isn't exact in it's matches but is close and shows the relative color shades. FS 16440 is the color used on early US Navy jets like the F-4 and F-14. Maybe its just me or the fact that the piece is next to a lot of very light objects, but I think 16440 would be too light. The color looks more like dark gull grey FS 36231.

I see.

i just rechecked the Mr Color chart and found I made the typo.

C305 should be FS36118.

Will correct that.

Sorry for the confusion.

1 minute ago, haneto said:

I see.

i just rechecked the Mr Color chart and found I made the typo.

C305 should be FS36118.

Will correct that.

Sorry for the confusion.

OK, that sounds much more like the color. I'm glad I wasn't seeing things 😉

• 1 month later...

So almost another month passed an what did I do?

1. I scratch built the PLA Flanker pilot for the diorama and made resin cast copies for sale.

2. I finished checking the PLAAF decal design for the upcoming limited edition kit, and am now waiting for the decal printing for my built utilization.

3. I painted 2 exhaust nozzles.

Since many people ask "how to paint Flanker nozzles/engine naccels", I summarized the "how to" by 18 steps.

It took me about 1 week to finish 2 nozzles by 1 hour per working day before sleeping + 2 whole weekend days.

CV4JUSY.jpg

eSMF7Ww.jpg

tmUXDU4.jpg

5wOvIJt.jpg

ZLEnNCS.jpg

AlLtTdT.jpg

To be continued...

haneto,

Beautiful work you're accomplishing here! The exhaust cans look amazing and the use of the stretched sponge results in a very convincing look. This is the first time I've seen your work so I'll make sure I go back to page 1 and read the entire WIP.

-Elmo

Haneto, what process do you use to spray Gunze Super Metallic paints? I have been having a lot of difficulty trying to spray them. I use Mr Leveling thinner but get a lot of tip dry and the paint dries out very fast in the paint cup of the airbrush. You seem to use them a lot and with superb results. Any tips would be welcome.

On 10/20/2018 at 12:39 AM, Mstor said:

Haneto, what process do you use to spray Gunze Super Metallic paints? I have been having a lot of difficulty trying to spray them. I use Mr Leveling thinner but get a lot of tip dry and the paint dries out very fast in the paint cup of the airbrush. You seem to use them a lot and with superb results. Any tips would be welcome.

What are your paint/thinner ratio?