Testors Clear Decal Paper Problems

Using a new sheet of Testors clear decal film, I tried to print a custom decal using my HP inkjet printer.  However, the ink beads up within seconds of the decal paper coming out of the printer rendering the image useless.  I have tried various print settings in vein. Any suggestions?  

23 hours ago, wdw said:

Using a new sheet of Testors clear decal film, I tried to print a custom decal using my HP inkjet printer.  However, the ink beads up within seconds of the decal paper coming out of the printer rendering the image useless.  I have tried various print settings in vein. Any suggestions?  

At the risk of causing offense (which is why I hesitated to respond earlier), are you sure you are you using the ink printer film and not the laser printer film?

Bruce

I've just had the same problem, and it was ink-jet paper. Not sure if the problem is the printer or the paper. I was advised to try a coat of matte spray on it first, but that made the colours wash out. I'm using an HP 4500 OfficeJet, with genuine HP ink. Tried various print settings other than the recommended ones, including maximum DPI and 'best' quality, no joy. In fact it seemed to make it worse, the yellow I wanted came out rather orange. 

It was my first time printing decals in colour, would love to find out how to do it better.

Edited by The Rat

I think most likely the printer. Few years ago I had a HP Photosmart inkjet printer. It printed perfectly. Now it was replaced by one of the newer all in one printer, HP also. Ran into the same problem you had. Same Testors decal used

Thanks for the responses. 

Firstly to Neptune48 . . absolutely no offense taken. Yes, the paper is definitely ink jet paper.

Following the suggestions I have received,  I have now tried:

• 2 additional printers.  The object prints well on paper but not on the decal film. 
  • brand new "Testors" ink jet decal paper
  • "Expert Choice" ink jet decal paper
  • lightly scuffing the gloss decal film with fine sandpaper before printing,
  • pre-coating the decal film with a light clear coat.

. .  . none of which has helped.  :crying:

Just give you some context, here is what I am trying to print.5-68.docx  

My LHS has not heard of this problem in all the years they have been in operation, nor have any of my modelling friends.  I am totally frustrated and at my wit's end.

Thanks again.

A friend of my wife had access to a laser printer at her office and so now I have a set of beautiful decals.  What a relief.

But the failure of the inkjet solution still frustrates me . . .

Happy modelling to all. 

I used laser printed decals several years ago and they worked just fine.  And I bought this laser decal paper from my LHS so I would assume they work.

I haven't applied these particular decals yet but I sure hope they work.  If not, I'm back to square one.