US Navy GBU-32s and 31s

Seems like the Super Hornets are utilizing the GBU-32 quite a bit in Syria.  I'm having trouble sourcing them now that Attack Squadron has gone out of the AM resin business. Any leads. Also is the GBU-31 a common munition for the Navy to use?

The GBU-31 is not a commonly used weapon for the USN, they have been used on a few occasions but are not something you would normally see loaded.

Also, non-thermally protected (NTP) bombs are not commonly used by the USN, the only time the USN would use NTP bombs is when they are doing training missions while state-side.

hth

GW

7 hours ago, GW8345 said:

The GBU-31 is not a commonly used weapon for the USN, they have been used on a few occasions but are not something you would normally see loaded.

Also, non-thermally protected (NTP) bombs are not commonly used by the USN, the only time the USN would use NTP bombs is when they are doing training missions while state-side.

hth

GW

Thanks,  what’s the problem with the GBU-31 from the Navy’s perspective. It seems to be pretty common on the F-16

20 hours ago, Solo said:

There will be GBU-32 from Eduard on May, non-thermally protected. I believe thermally protected will be on June.

Following that I expect GBU-31.

https://www.mojehobby.pl/products/GBU-32-Non-Thermally-Protected.html

It might be July as I've seen the June release list for Eduard and the thermally protected GBU-32 isn't listed there.

12 hours ago, Vaildog said:

Thanks,  what’s the problem with the GBU-31 from the Navy’s perspective. It seems to be pretty common on the F-16

Bringing them back to the boat if they are not expended (i.e. max trap weight), the more ordnance you bring back, the less gas you have. Plus you have to factor in max catapult weight when you get flung off the pointy end.

Most of the missions the USN is doing is CAS and tactical strikes, the GBU-31 really isn't a CAS weapon. They (GBU-31) will be used if there is a specific pre-planed target that requires that level of ordnance but if you are just "trolling" around for targets of opportunity, you really don't want to be lugging around "Volkswagens".:thumbsup:

F-18's can carry them and they do drop them in training, but out "in country" they are rarely carried unless there is a specific target that requires leveling on a grand scale.

Edited by GW8345