A straightforward WIP without methodology. A cursory glance at the kit gear bays and weapons bay and looks like this is gonna be a long haul. Made a start with 2x GBU-27s and removing all the moulded 'detail' on the weapons bay front wall.

yqxHyLN.jpg

Edited by John Wolstenholme
9 hours ago, John Wolstenholme said:

removing all the moulded 'detail' on the weapons bay front wall.

Sounds very much like Trumpeter... 

Wish you a good luck! Sounds like a very interesting project. Will be following!

Great start, especially with the choice of going with the GBU 27.  its a stretched version of the GBU 24, specially fitted for the F117. modified mine from the 1/32 F15E

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 2:06 PM, shan said:

the GBU 27.  its a stretched version of the GBU 24, specially fitted for the F117

My understanding is the GBU-24 was too big for the 117 weapons bay and the -27 is slightly reduced in length and with smaller fins.

Committed to a nearly full refurb of the weapons bay so piping and wires are not set into the frames.  Looking at the limited number of photos, the ‘roof’ exhibits varying depths.  

I have removed some spurious detail to the roof and all from the inner wall, then shaped it to the stepped roof.

fsuyKx2.jpg%20

Interesting how you can still 'see' the moulded detail even though it is perfectly flush.

I'm really looking forward to watching this come along, John.  The F-117 was such a neat jet.  Looks like you're already off to a great start.

Jake

Hi Jake and Steve, thanks for dropping in.

Both sides of the centre wall(s) well on the way, now started with the plumbing.

gJTf67T.jpg

NcF2PMX.jpg

Redone the jacks to match the new bay ‘roof’ with doors placed.

Probably end up using more ‘bits’ in the weapons bay when complete, than the number of kit parts to be used!

Steve, formed from tubing.

Having got both sides of the centre wall up to the same stage, it is now fixed to the base with the aft door jacks ‘plumbed-in’. Back wall is re-detailed, but haven’t a clue what the twin round thingies (electrical?) are for. Started on doors by fitting the P.E. parts which look far better than the kit renditions, but they are a PITA to remove.

EXGMtQm.jpg%20

I am in need of a kit-kat, so good opportunity to catch up on some RC glider modelling for a change.

John,

A most impressive amount of super detailing on those weapon bay walls.  I'm a prop man at heart, but I'll be following along with great interest as your scratch building skills are taking this build to higher levels that we all can learn from.

Joel

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Joel, Slartibartfast, crushkill, Steve.  

After cautiously drilling the 20 No. ‘connectors’ on kit part B10 Cu wires added to give a more realistic appearance, based on the limited photo info. As such it is representative of the real thing, not that I would even attempt to try to do all the real detail anyway! I wonder if the Aires 1:48 weapons bay set is based on seen detail, or includes artistic licence.

AzqoTv6.jpg%20

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:23 PM, ALF18 said:

Your artistic licence looks very convincing.

Hello Alf. Hopefully more representative, than artistic licence. :whistle:

Now with hydraulic lines to the trapezes rear jacks. Like to do things in parallel, rather than having to come back to duplicate something. Not going to attempt the lines to the front jacks as nothing will be seen.

2yzlcky.jpg