John,

I know that this sounds rather dumb, but I never would have thought about cutting off one side of the bay to remove all that molded detail, but rather have struggled with modeling chisels and odd side pieces of sand paper, and then hope to get near what you achieved.  Thanks for posting that picture as it's a procedure I really need to embrace.

Joel 

Just stunning work John. I just love how neat you are with your work and the photos sure help and are beyond wonderful. Sure shows what skills you have with the plastic. I am getting a lot of tips with this build and I especially like what you did with the nose gear door hinges using the Eduard set.

To tell you the truth I must be one of the few people that is not a real big fan of the Eduard sets. I think that they are too fragile and in a lot of cases don't improve the finished product. I like their zoom sets however. Their seat belt sets seem too thin for my liking but I have been hearing good things about their new steel seat belt sets. I do have several of thier sets but I am selective in what I use.

Anyway, thanks for posting and I will try to see if I can use any of your work when I get started on my Tamiya 1/48 kit.

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:22 PM, Joel_W said:

Thanks for posting that picture as it's a procedure I really need to embrace.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:16 AM, skyhawk174 said:

thanks for posting and I will try to see if I can use any of your work when I get started on my Tamiya 1/48 kit.

Appreciate that, probably a (double) first in 12 years of WIPs.

Progress is slow, I seem to spend as much time looking at photos than actually doing something productive, but at least it’s moving forward.

U1MnoUc.jpg%20

Thanks as always to you taking the time to follow and comment. My eyes need a rest after making the NG door jack – it doesn’t always work out on the first go, or the second.

BnoR7DD.jpg%20

In any event it gives me the opportunity to try and come up with something which looks remotely like the door up-locks. There is also more ‘conduit’ to be done to the stbd wall.

Hi Steve, Mike, Peter, Joel, John and Chris. There I was thinking the two hexagonal 0.5mm recesses behind the canopy were for collecting rain water. But no, they are actually flush HF aerials, according to the F-117 World Air Power Journal Special. Well I never.

For a change I decided to do something a little more relaxing, namely the ruddervators.

flTwl04.jpg%20

Also, sorted the split brake chute bay doors, secondary intake and refuelling bay doors. Lots to do.

Edited by John Wolstenholme

This is interesting. Fortunately it is apparent in photos of the acft I am modelling which version I should have, as both can be seen in 2003.

onijIj0.jpg%20

Strange how something just comes to mind when not thinking about it! Namely, if you display a model with live ordnance, it having mission marks, shouldn’t you remove at least one of the mission marks?

Your scratch building is ... Gor-r-r-gee-e-e-uss!   :thumbsup:

This "old school" aspect is something I really appreciate. using copper wire and researching ... looking at images, lots and LOTS of images ...  and then working out just how to replicate those details in styrene and wire and a wide variety of materials, is great to watch come together. This research is a big part of the fun of this hobby. I build Real Space subjects and thought I knew as much as anyone ... un-n-n-till-l-l I started building models 10 years ago ... my gawsh, I'm still learning so much about these specialized vehicles ... the design, the engineering, the operation ... it pleases me no end.

Keep taking your time ... we're loving this build!

Pete

I just went back a couple of pages to see the posts that I missed and would like to ... rather ... LOVE to see ... is your process. For instance, the tiny brackets you've created and installed are identical! Your cuts are perfectly perpendicular ...

How'd you do it? Do you hand-file or use power tools or make molds and cast the various parts?

You know John, your photos don't hafta be magazine quality, pix of your workbench and the way you build the hinges or looms or any and ALL other details, would be great to see as well.

... But, that may just be me!  :rolleyes:

Thanx

Pete

Hi Pete, thanks for your interest. As indicated in my opening post, it is straightforward in-progress pictures.

My workbench is an old draughtsman board retrieved from a skip and the only electric tool I use is a twin grinder for making ‘tools’. I will however be using the Aires cockpit set as it is a pointless exercise scratch building as I cannot equal, let alone better this.

Underside prepared for the Eduard photoetched parts. Will not fix them until fuselage halves are ready to be joined, or are joined, due to flex.

JfFnu3A.jpg%20