Hi Joe, how goes it with the 7s and 14s? Some finicky detail just for you John.

The digression on other areas proved to be a good idea. Prior to this I had zero ideas for the NGB door uplocks. Upon returning to this task an idea finally formulated in the brain, with the usual sawdust fallout. Requiring (lucky)13 bits finally got something looking like the uplocks.

PMN88hm.jpg%20

Once I uncross my eyes, onto something a little more relaxing, like finishing the NGB. Hey my favourite, more conduit.

Edited by John Wolstenholme
7 hours ago, John Wolstenholme said:

Hi Joe, how goes it with the 7s and 14s? Some finicky detail just for you John.

The digression on other areas proved to be a good idea. Prior to this I had zero ideas for the NGB door uplocks. Upon returning to this task an idea finally formulaed in the brain, with the usual sawdust fallout. Requiring (lucky)13 bits finally got something looking like the uplocks.

Once I uncross my eyes, onto something a little more relaxing, like finishing the NGB. Hey my favourite, more conduit.

Jeeeesss, you're insane. Incredible work. This build is something else entirely.

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:50 AM, Mstor said:

Jeeeesss, you're insane.

Hi Mstor. I’m fortunate to be in a secure unit where there is a great deal of latitude. :whistle:

A trial fit of the NG bay with the lower fuz shows an area for improvement. Whilst the thickness is disguised lengthwise by the bay sides, the front and rear ends highlight it. Whilst scale thickness is impossible, it looks much better with some careful work and a lip for the door to close on.

MqvONKq.jpg%20

5 hours ago, John Wolstenholme said:

A trial fit of the NG bay with the lower fuz shows an area for improvement. Whilst the thickness is disguised lengthwise by the bay sides, the front and rear ends highlight it. Whilst scale thickness is impossible, it looks much better with some careful work and a lip for the door to close on.

Very nice and often overlooked attention to detail John.

I saw an absolutely beautiful Century-series fighter model recently which looked absolutely exquisite. Until a rear view showed the beautifully detailed jet nozzle set into what looked like something with the barrel thickness of a 20 inch howitzer, when it would have looked so much better with a sheet-metal thickness outer shroud.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:39 PM, chek said:

I saw an absolutely beautiful Century-series fighter model recently which looked absolutely exquisite. Until a rear view ………..

It's strange someone would spend the time to achieve a great looking model, but overlook such detail.

A dry run with the completed (for painting that is) NGB etc. and it all fits, just.

s7qCsM2.jpg%20

15 hours ago, Joel_W said:

level of a true Alien 🖖

Hey Joel, as has been said the truth is out there.

Every cloud has a silver lining with less MGB ’detail’ to remove, but followed by rain being x2.

mf8wBXm.jpg%20

Don’t want to think how long I spent on this, but at least they are now ‘split’ for detailing and the lower fuselage thickness reduced a la NGB. More opportunity for a mishap with longer lengths to be thinned.

rQhzUhq.jpg%20

Little info available on MGBs, so some creative thinking will be required. Could close the main doors, but prefer them open.

John,  it surprises me how well things turn out sometimes.

The plastic MGLs offering is poorly designed with a potential weakness at the oleo for a heavy model. Whilst the cast metal leg is substantial, it is more difficult to work with/detail than plastic. Therefore, I decided to combine the two.

hIpMiaE.jpg%20

Looking at the main and leg doors, there are some things to be addressed. The Eduard PE for the main doors looks correct as opposed to the prototype/early (?) oval shaped wheel recess. Therefore just a case of matching the doors to the PE! Still some work to be done.

eOUuOle.jpg%20

The hinges for the leg doors are wrong, they are straight and not attached to the faceted part of the doors.

cFbXowo.jpg%20

• 3 months later...

John, this build is epic!  I've been slowly slugging away for years at the same kit.  While I see many of the same issues I was grappling with, you've succeeded in correcting much the same way I had, you've done much, much better in most regards.  Well done!  If you're in need of additional photos of operational aircraft, in particular the gear bays, I would be happy to forward on all that I've collected over the years (it's not a small amount).  I don't know if it would assist you at all, particularly as my own build stalled a couple years back as well, but I've got a WIP up on Large Scale Planes, and Britmodeller both.  Feel free to drop me a note here or there if you'd like me to send on the images as well.  For the gear in particular, I found them immensely helpful, as some are not generally found on the web, but through old crew who had some from their days working on, and later restoring the airframe.

Cheers

Brian~

Hi Brian. As the saying goes, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Build progress continues, albeit slowly:

- All P.E. grilles etc fitted.

-  FLIR and DLIR turrets and screens fitted.

- Nose leg and bay painted and installed.

- Weapons bay fitted.

- Elevons modified for drooped positions.

- Cockpit painted and installed.

- Canopy frame modified for the ‘beefier’ appearance with added detailing. New canopy screw jacks. Kit parts poor, Aires parts too fragile.

zTiYw5o.jpg%20

pdJuItq.jpg%20

Now we are talking! 🙂 Awesome build so far.

Happy New Year from me btw!

I'm taking notes cause i plan on this for my next build as well. I have a question from quite a while.... is the PE mesh too "fragile" if you glue it just like that? At first glance, the screen for the intakes looks quite a large piece, the meshes for the F(D)LIRs are quite large too. If they are not supported (glued only along the edges), only the slightest touch is enough to slightly bend them and corrupt the flat appearance. So, i plan on supporting them with a flat transparent piece underneath. Does that sound reasonable to you? I need to see it by myself to decide, but nevertheless it's good to get more insigh. TU.

5 hours ago, my favs are F`s said:

Now we are talking! 🙂 Awesome build so far.

Happy New Year from me btw!

I'm taking notes cause i plan on this for my next build as well. I have a question from quite a while.... is the PE mesh too "fragile" if you glue it just like that? At first glance, the screen for the intakes looks quite a large piece, the meshes for the F(D)LIRs are quite large too. If they are not supported (glued only along the edges), only the slightest touch is enough to slightly bend them and corrupt the flat appearance. So, i plan on supporting them with a flat transparent piece underneath. Does that sound reasonable to you? I need to see it by myself to decide, but nevertheless it's good to get more insigh. TU.

Hey Tony!  The screens are indeed very thin and fragile, and on the real a/c, there was no glass used at all - they were just ope to the airstream - with the only exception being those thin screens.  Mich easier to secure on a full size jet I imagine, as they weren't subjected to being moved by giant hands around their noses.  😉  I haven't figured out any way to secure them on my own build as yet that might allow for an easy replacement if they became damaged.  I guess it comes down to modeler preference on whether or not tu try and add any sort of clear glass backing to support the mesh or not.